Thread: unit 16

Default unit 16

Has anyone hunted unit 16 for bear . Is it hard to access . Can you spot and stalk or is it to thick . How did the meat taste . Was considering hunting black bear . Thanks

I have not hunted unit 16 yet, but it is in a predator control for black bears. That means that there is a lot of bears between the Susitna and the yetna. If that is the area you are looking at then the best access is by boat. Good luck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have not hunted it but like you have given it a lot of thought and plan on checking it out this spring. I want to take my boat across and scout the beaches as well as the streams. I have heard the brush is way too thick to allow access but there are some old logging roads and such you can walk.

How are you planning on getting across the inlet?

By boat . . .

If any of you guys are lookin for a guy to go with you, I too was thinkin about it. I dont have a boat but am willing to split costs.

Thanks

Default two choices...

The areas of unit 16 I've hunted, you have two choices: Rivers or brush. I've hunted over bait, and its very effective. All the bears have been excellent food. You can float the rivers, or set up in sloughs the last week of May, 1st week of June, when hooligan are in the Su and Yentna thick, and catch bears coming to the riverbanks for them. One last option would be to fly into a lake and hunt beaver ponds... I've seen quite a few bear on the plateau to the South of the Talachulitna on the floating bog around beaver ponds. Best bet is to set up bait stations and let the bears come to you, though. If bear baiting is banned the black bear harvest in 16 will drop to nearly nothing.

Sounds like unit 16 is crawling with black bears .

Baiting is permitted . Plus your allowed three black bears .

This will help , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultra mag View Post
    Sounds like unit 16 is crawling with black bears .

Baiting is permitted . Plus your allowed three black bears .

This will help , thanks
    Under the liberalized hunting regs, I believe there is no limit on black bears, and everything is fair game. Plus, you can bait in the fall, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Under the liberalized hunting regs, I believe there is no limit on black bears, and everything is fair game. Plus, you can bait in the fall, too.

You have to sign up for a predator control permit to use the liberalized hunting regs, but once you do there is no limit on black bears. Females with cubs are fair game, you can have 4 bait stations instead of two, and you can get a permit from fish and game to sell the hides. Also since this is considered predator control and not hunting bears killed under the permit do not count against bag limits for other areas. You have to be a resident to get a predator control permit though.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    You have to sign up for a predator control permit to use the liberalized hunting regs, but once you do there is no limit on black bears. Females with cubs are fair game, you can have 4 bait stations instead of two, and you can get a permit from fish and game to sell the hides. Also since this is considered predator control and not hunting bears killed under the permit do not count against bag limits for other areas. You have to be a resident to get a predator control permit though.
    Under this permit, you are exempt from the same day airborne rule, also.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum did go out and get a predator control permit and hunt last fall? Lack of boat kept me from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Under this permit, you are exempt from the same day airborne rule, also.
    You can shoot same day airborne but you need to be 300 feet from the aircraft. For those who prefer bait the season is april 15 - june 30. Last fall it was Aug 10 - Oct 15. I have not heard of any changes to the regs for next season but we will find out in a few months. All of this info can be found at the fish and game link below. I was told by an ADF&G employe that only 3.7% of bears seen in this unit last fall were harvested. Which suggest that people are still trophy hunting and not removing as many bears as F&G would like.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...or_control.pdf

Matt I just signed up for the pred control a week ago so I have no info on last fall except the 3.7% quoted above.

anybody know what a hide goes for? Seems like a good way to make money
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    anybody know what a hide goes for? Seems like a good way to make money
    Not realy unless you kill a lot of bears. At the rondy fur auction 4-5 foot tanned hides with patchy fur were only getting 4-5 hundred a peice. If you got out early and got better hides, got bigger bears or killed a lot then yes you could probably make some money.

not alot of guys are gonna head out and nail some cubs just because they can, i know one guide who is advertising no limit on black bear for his clients...from what i read here, non res can't shoot unlimited black bears?
    Good black bears, hides, read over seven foot, will get ya a few hundred bucks but since they sell a pile of hides from the lower 48 as well, it might be tough to move one unless you've got an exceptional bear, its like selling beaver hides.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The reg states "aircraft" so this means you can used a hellicopter. This should open a few areas up.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    The reg states "aircraft" so this means you can used a hellicopter. This should open a few areas up.
    I thought the same thing, but when I picked up my permit last year I asked about that. Aircraft is fixed wing helicopter is a helicopter. So, where does a powered parachute fit into the equation? Clear as mud, huh?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default june 16b hunt

I'm booked to hunt 16b June 16-20. You folks have me psyched up. I'll be hunting over bait mostly. Hopefully I'll spend a couple afternoons catching Kings. I was told also , Dolly Varden, Grayling, & catch and release Bows would test my UL gear. Having never caught Grayling or Dolly Varden, that is exciting. Are there any Burbot to be caught up there? There again, I'd like to take a fish I had never taken before.
    Hhounds