Thread: Total arrow weight for browns

Default Total arrow weight for browns

I'm sure this question has been ask plenty but couldn't find any help doing a search. Seems the more times I ask this question the greater spread the answers. I hear everything from 390 to 600+ grains. I thought what better place to ask this question.

I'm shooting 75# with 29" draw. Not sure this means anything but have had complete pass throughs with several elk, a muskox and a good many deer with arrow weight in the neighborhood of 420 grains.

I realize shot placement is what it's all about but would like your thoughts on arrow weight.

Thanks,

I think arrow weight is a important key

I pay attention to the FOC

I check the arrow weight.

To light= underspined
    To heavy= over spined.

You can find a happy ground
    Heavy arrow with in your bow spec give you more knitic energy (punching power)

Light arrow more speed.

If I can match my arrow to my bow My arrow will fly perfect.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default In the middle

I am kind of in the middle of the road. I think I am at 525 grains right now (70 pounds). I have tried some inserts that took the arrows to over 600. But as AKGray indicated, proper spine and flight is more important than weight.

If the arrow is whipping to the side instead of entering directly straight in, then you are going to get less penetration.

At 75 lbs. It would seem that you could co heavier. But if you can shoot through a muskox, you should certainly be able to shoot through a brown.

Good luck.... I want to do it too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I still have plenty of time to play with different weights. Lately, I've been shooting super slam xx78. With a 125 grain head they come in over 550 grains. The 340 axis are on the order of 445 gr.

Hey, half the fun is getting there.....right?

Default You are right

Half the fun is the tinkering around.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Half the fun is the tinkering around.
    Like dave said have fun but don't get frustrated if it dosen't work out right away. I will start here next month getting my arrows all fined tuned up again. Also buy doing this I'm getting back into bow shape.
    When I buy a dozen arrows. Out of that dozen I will find two maybe three arrows that I consider no good. I can't get them to fly right.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Grn,s

If it an,t broke don,t fix it! Sounds like what you have kill,s them fine,Pass thru, on Elk, muskox, When you get older, and you get tired of that 75lbs,Oh you will, believe me, Then there will time for ajustments with less draw weight. I,ve Killed them all. 65lbs, 438grn, arrow 250fps, 125gn.Thunderhead, You said it yourself, Where you hit them!!!!+The sharpest of heads, And for myself, Med wght, arrows, 425 to 450 grn,s Take good shots, Make good hits, The rest will fall into place, Happy Hunting,

I'm headed to Chichigof in mid May to chase brownies with the bow. I will be using my same set up that I used on my grizzly and bison from last year. 64 pounds draw with ~400 grain arrows and slick trick 4 blade broadheads. You'll have more than enough to take a brownie down with a good shot.

shot placement and sharp broadheads are important. A few years ago i got a small griz. north of coldfoot my arrow hit a tree limb and deflected and hit his rear foot at the achilles tendend area. Not my proudest moment but the end state was: 10 minutes later the bear fell over and bled out approx 100 yrds from where i shot him, 5.5 ft beautiful blonde. Freakest thing i watched. I am not saying hunt griz with foot shots but I would have to attest to sharp quality broadheads being a must during any hunting adventure.