Thread: Sitka Gear

Default Sitka Gear

Opinions on Sitka Camouflage gear? It seems to be good stuff, just want to know from people who have actually used it in the field here in Alaska. Other clothing companies claim great things, but fail in the filed here in Alaska. The stuff is expensive, so just want people’s opinions before I make the purchase. Thanks.

Check the gear forum the sporthills, sitka, and Mammut gear has all been hammered out dozens of times. I think you can't go wrong with any of them. Any one may be best for you but not work for me.
    Sitka gear doesn't really stretch like the sporthills or mammut champ's. The sitka seems more water resistant though. The Mammuts are not as windproof as the sitka's. They all dry quickly, wick moisture and work good in layers.

Default Love it.

I love it. Some of the best gear around.
    Marc Theiler

I'm testing their customer service dept. now with a pair of pants I sent down to them for warranty work.

Default the best

BUY BUY BUY! This is the best gear for hunting on the market by far. The prices are high but you get what you pay for. I guide on the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak. I got a set of SItka Gear this last August and practically lived in the stuff from August 10 through November 15. I used it goat hunting, brown bear hunting, moose hunting, and sitka black tail hunting and then bear hunting again. It worked well in both warm weather and freezing weather, and more importantly it works in the wet weather of the Ak. Peninsula and Kodiak. I will give this gear an endorsement any day.

And they back-up the product they sell, which is a huge plus.

As we get closer to hunting season, you'll find that the chance of you sprinting from dealer to dealer looking for your size is more likely. This stuff is a big seller, and the manufacturer is OFTEN in a back-order status on certain items.

Just FYI

Taylor

Default warm weather gear

The problem I have with Sitka gear is it seems to be geared more towards warmer weather. Fine for a Aug sheep hunt or a Western elk hunt where temps rise during the day.
    I have the mountain shirt & wore it twice this winter on hikes with a day pack on. Both times I had a icebreaker short sleeve base layer, each time the sitka shirt held in moisture in the inside. Upon returning home had to change shirts as it was still damp & would trap the mositure against you making you cold on a 20 degree day.
    Compartively the patigonia R1 did better on breathability & warmth on the same hike two weeks prior.
    Also I have had people tell me that the 90% jacket would need a fleece under it when it was cold or windy out. What good is a $200 jacket that you need to have a fleece under to keep warm?
    Other then the camo pattern, which isnt' always necessary, I think its better suited for warmer hunts.

Yoge, how did you make a comparison it wet weather? I haven't tested that aspect yet so hopefully it will do better

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    The problem I have with Sitka gear is it seems to be geared more towards warmer weather. Fine for a Aug sheep hunt or a Western elk hunt where temps rise during the day.
    I have the mountain shirt & wore it twice this winter on hikes with a day pack on. Both times I had a icebreaker short sleeve base layer, each time the sitka shirt held in moisture in the inside. Upon returning home had to change shirts as it was still damp & would trap the mositure against you making you cold on a 20 degree day.
    Compartively the patigonia R1 did better on breathability & warmth on the same hike two weeks prior.
    Also I have had people tell me that the 90% jacket would need a fleece under it when it was cold or windy out. What good is a $200 jacket that you need to have a fleece under to keep warm?
    Other then the camo pattern, which isnt' always necessary, I think its better suited for warmer hunts.

Yoge, how did you make a comparison it wet weather? I haven't tested that aspect yet so hopefully it will do better
    I got the mt shirt as a gift and have yet to try it out. Due to the material I wondered how well it would dry out after use...... Any one else experience this same issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post

'08 lineup will include warm and cold weather gear, i.e. 90% jacket and pants.

Default Sitka set in Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by yoge View Post
    BUY BUY BUY! This is the best gear for hunting on the market by far. The prices are high but you get what you pay for. I guide on the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak. I got a set of SItka Gear this last August and practically lived in the stuff from August 10 through November 15. I used it goat hunting, brown bear hunting, moose hunting, and sitka black tail hunting and then bear hunting again. It worked well in both warm weather and freezing weather, and more importantly it works in the wet weather of the Ak. Peninsula and Kodiak. I will give this gear an endorsement any day.
    Sounds like the gear worked great for you - and in tough conditions!
    Many times it seems we buy good gear but it fails somehow. Was that the Downpour, or the 90% jacket and pants?

Thanks.

After looking at some of this stuff at the store I'm starting to remember the story about the "emporer's new clothes". Dont get me wrong, it looks like good gear, especially the jacket and vest. The pants need more 4 way stretch for me. But referring mainly to the middle and inner layer items, their stuff sure seems pretty pricey compared to polyester, fleece, wool, etc. Is there something special about these layers that makes them work better, ie: warm and dry, compared to the basic stuff?

Default NO

There aren't any new miracle fabrics out in the last year that I am aware of .