Thread: Another Kenai pen mauling last night

Unhappy Another Kenai pen mauling last night

A young man was mauled by a brown bear last night near K beach road between Soldotna and Kenai. Nothing life threatening thankfully. Lots of puncture wounds and a 4 or 5 inch circle of scalp torn back by claws. Be careful out there.

...a "pen" mauling? Is that what the puncutre wounds were from?

Lightbulb no pens...

...peninsula, Blaster. The incident happened on the Kenai Peninsula.

Casper50 Where and when did this happen? Haven't seen anything in the paper yet. Or heard anything on the radio?

Bear, I was in the Soldotna hospital when they brought him in. at about 3am last night.

I'm glad hes alright. its a good thing the numbers are low on the pen, otherwise they would have to open a season (sarcasm).

Hope he's alright.
    I hear you Blink.
    Thinking of mounting a gun boot on my lawn mower. With the low numbers of bears a guy can't be too careful.

Also just heard that a tent camper at the Russian got a lil' "nibble" on the shoulder last night while asleep in his bag...no serious injuries....but I'm guessing THAT sleeping bag and underwear are in the trash......

Good to hear both parties are going to be OK...Any bets on there actually being a hunt down there this year?

Default Hmmmmmmm

Last night at 400am one of the alaska cab drivers i drive with saw a sow with 2 cubs by the collage... dont know if is the same bear or not ..

Alaska hippie, there wont be another brown bear hunt on the pen. plain and simple. Fish and game along with the board says there arent enough bears to sustain a hunt. me says maybe they better get off there butts and go hiking.

They try to please us by saying if x amount of bears dont get shot by DLP there will be a hunt. you would think they would learn that every year a dozen + bears get shot that maybe there numbers are wrong. I may be wrong (has happened before..lol) but there is a decent number of bears for a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink
    Alaska hippie, there wont be another brown bear hunt on the pen. plain and simple. Fish and game along with the board says there arent enough bears to sustain a hunt. me says maybe they better get off there butts and go hiking.

They try to please us by saying if x amount of bears dont get shot by DLP there will be a hunt. you would think they would learn that every year a dozen + bears get shot that maybe there numbers are wrong. I may be wrong (has happened before..lol) but there is a decent number of bears for a hunt.

Great points.

I grew up in Seward and back in those days blackies were common...Brownies where a novelty....These days the numbers seem to be about even....And the human/bear confrontations regarding brownies have significantly increased...be nice to see some culling of the numbers especially in regards to bears that've been de-sensitized to humans....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    Great points.

...be nice to see some culling of the numbers especially in regards to bears that've been de-sensitized to humans....
    OMG hippie................your not suggesting the "only good bear is a dead bear" are you? Moderators.............................delete this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    OMG hippie................your not suggesting the "only good bear is a dead bear" are you? Moderators.............................delete this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Heheheh au contraire....I'm suggesting that bears that have become accustomed to relying on people for food should be removed from the situation.. I don't blame the bears for taking an easy pick-a-nick basket...

But sadly eradicating idiots of the human variety has not as of yet been allowed.....

Makes for an interesting thought concerning the draw supplement for tourist season.....

"Sweet I drew 2 californians and a 'any cruise ship passenger'...."

this webcam was just posted on one of our michigan hunting forums.

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/n...s/wildcam.html

It happens every summer. On any given day from late June to early August, as many as 50 brown bears may converge on Alaska’s McNeil River Falls
    i thought this was a pretty neat webcam.

OK, hippie, that seems reasonable<grin>! I withdraw my request to delete this thread.

Not much problem with bears at fishing holes out west here. We do as you advise. Bears that don't respect/show fear of humans are generally "smoked".
    Odd how few maulings we have out here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MT, *whew* thanks for removing that deletion request...I'll certainly sleep better without out THAT hanging over my head... =)

I've spent quite a bit of time in SW (Pen and false pass area) AK and I agree with your observation 100%. Luckily for you guys there aren't scads of tour buses loaded down with grey hairs that think a bear stealing a backpack is "neat" and naming said bear is even neater.....

There is a brown bear hunt on the KP, i't s registration and will probably only last about 2 days.

AK, if it lasts that long. Usually its closed before it even opens. Its in the regs, but they usually wack to many dlp bears. One year it did open for about a day.