Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for haul rd?

Default tips for haul rd?

I am very new to bow hunting and i have only been in Alaska for two years. I am putting together a trip to get a caribou probably at the Haul rd. Any tips you might have to get me started would be great. i just got my first bow yesterday. a Diamond Rapture, drop rest, lighted pin sight, stabilizer, and some other stuff. I have shot a little but i am basically starting from nothing and have about 5 months to get ready. i am joining the Black Sheep Archery Club on Elmendorf so that will help alot. When is the best time to go to the Haul rd., what do i need to do to be legal, what should i look out for? I don't want to break any of the infinite laws that alaska has either. any help i could get would be amazing. how many hunters are up there around the end of august? i have been reading alot of the posts on this thread and they are very helpful, you all seem to really hold a wealth of knowledge about hunting that i would like to have someday. thanks for reading.

Theres a ton of good info, but I noticed you said lighted sight. Check the regs as that is not allowed in AK.

As for the haul road goes. My best tip is bring more gas than you plan to use. The bou are some times hard to find and you have to drive alot. Be paitent. wait for the group to come to you. If you hike a little off the road you can get away from the people and the road hunters.

Oh you have to have your bow cert as well!!

Do a search of the haul rd. here. You will come up with allot of info that

Q.When is the best time to go to the Haul rd.,

A.It changes from year to year. Most people will head up Aug Sept time frame.

Q.what do i need to do to be legal
    A. Bow Cert card from fish and game.

you are doing the first thing right by asking question..

Also practice long shots. 40 yard shots. on average this is what most people take one at.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Haul rd

I think once you do your search your probably going to see that you might want start practicing at distance more like 60-80yds.

as Gary suggested do a search. lots more info than i will give here.
    lighted sights are fine if using natural light just can not be powered by battery.
    having canoe or raft will open up alot of territory for you. if canoe be careful if you float down fron boat launch near ice cut. I recovered canoe for guy last year but he lost 2 bows, rifle, pack , pistol and half his caribou luckily he and his grandson survived just had cold night on the bank.
    typically it is a road hunt and 'bou are spotty and multiple groups of hunters will try for same group frequently....gets frustraing. that is what the boat is good for. i use a jet boat on the river i will be up there toward end of aug.
    they rub velvet off around first week in sept. can be very buggy in August, until first good frost. head net is good idea.
    especially if you are just starting i would limit your shots to 40 yards my limit is 30. too easy to get bad shot with wind, animal movement and misjudging distance.
    sled is good for dragging out meat
    keep practicing and enjoy the trip. i usually figure two days drive ....each way. i prefer to travel during daylight hours to be able to watch for game.
    fuel only at coldfoot and deadhorse 240 miles with no services between....carry extra fuel. good bergers at coldfoot but they close the kitchen in the evening and have only buffet.....never seemed worth $20 to me.
    plan for cold weather. have seen snow in August regularly....usually not but can happen.

GOOD LUCK
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

as a newby to bowhunting I highly discourage you even think of shooting a caribou at 60 70 or 80 yards. You can kill them up close! Be patient you'll learn how to HUNT them, some people albeit more slowly then others, oh and I'm sure there are those who dont and just give up or beat there heads trying. The reality of it is, they are not all that hard to get close to it's getting the shot off atleast for a guy with a almost 6 foot bow anyways.

Definatly look at whats posted. Get off the road and you'll have fun. Stay on it, and you'll probably end up discouraged. There are places not far from the road system that generaly hold animals if they are in the area and have stalkable country to do it in. You'll work a little harder for it and appreciate it a hole helluva lot more then ditch diving and flailing away at an animal that walks much faster then most realize and many animals are ended up wounded for this cause alone.

If you take anything away from it, just remember bowhunting is a close range sport! Something many on the slope seem to have forgotten! If you dont understand this now....you will............very shortly.

my max is also 30.

One thing I wont leave home without that doesnt get mentioned much is a plug kit *get the trucker one from napa have to ask for it specifically not the general cheapo POV one* and a tire pump you plug into the trucks cig lighter, or connects to the battery. Works wonders and it will be one of the better 30 bucks you'll spend for this trip *the tire pump is appx 30 bucks at napa*

Thanks for all the good information. if i have a battery lighted sight can i just remove the bettery part or do i need another sight? that is kind of a wierd law but i guess it has a meaning i just haven't figured out yet. again thanks a bunch for all the help. i am really excited about the hunting season. i am going to the archery club tonight to get some practice in. any more info you have will be great.

My best advice is to not get discouraged and expect failure. Over the course of two trips last year I had 11 stalks where I was able to get to within 80 yards, but couldn't get any closer to close the deal. After about five failures I was begining to question my ability to get it done. I would pick a likely ambush spot and the caribou would move some where different or other hunters would push them further from the road. I would spend hours crawling inches on my belly trying to get close, only to have the caribou spook off. After 10 failures I seriously thought I had to be doing something wrong. #12 was the one for me and I got a nice bull (pictures are elsewhere in the bowhunting forum).

meaning of some laws are difficult to figure......as long as you never....NEVER have the battery in when you are hunting or on the way to hunt i would think it would be ok. you don't want to get checked driving up haul road and get gear checked and have battery in place....but when i have had my lic. checked i have never had my gear checked. to be 100% sure check with wildlife protection enforcement troopers, not fish and game.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Regulation, Battery for Sight

After the post, I read the regulation, and after a bit of thought, it seems like a gray area.

It seems the intent of regulation is to not enhance ones ability to take game in low light conditions. The night vision scope, in my opinion, would clearly be illegal. My night vision cameras at my home, have a small infrared flood light, and casts an invisible illuminated area that my cameras detect. This most definitely enhances my ability to see if there are any bad guys out there.

I have a piston with a Red-Dot sight, it does not cast a laser, but is just a dot within the sight. I have Leupold scope on my that works well in low light conditions, as the crosshairs seem to illuminatel, though it has no battery in it. In this situation, and on a legal hunt, if I had a desire to use my pistol with the Red Dot sight, I won't hesitate to hunt. I think this is a similar situation with the battery operated bow sight, and its purpose to illuminate your pins, and not your target. Both of these situations, does not enhance my ability to shoot bad guys at the night.

However, there are about 5 month til Fall hunting is upon us, so an hour of creative writing and a 41 cent postage stamp is cheap insurance. I think the interpretation request should be written to the folks that make the regs, which I think is the Board of Game.

I will offer to draft a letter, and voluteer the 41 cent stamp. However, I need to make absolutely sure of the issue. Let me know.

the funny thing of it is, when you're chasing caribou it's likely you'll be doing it in 20 hours of daylight anyways. So to be real honest there is no sense in even having it on the bow really and giving someone the opportunity to give you grief over it. Maybe it's a senseless way to think about it I dunno, but I do know if I was in that postion I'd put it aside and drive on.

With the light I would remove the hole thing. This way there is no question if you used it or not. There will be allot of day light like others have said.
    I would also bring extra clothing and crawling around in the tundra you can get very wet. I always bring more then I would on a normal hunting trip. No telling if I will be able to dry out me clothes up there.

Prudue bay Inn you can pay to eat, shower and wash you clothes if you want. It's located in deadhorse. We usally eat there on our last night there. And depending on how long we have been up there we will pay for a shower... Nothing better then the drive home when felling clean
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think i will just play it safe and take the Lighted portion off the sight. seems like a better plan than getting all my gear, and my truck taken from me that far from home. speaking of vehicles, i heard that the rocks do a number on the truck. any advice on ways to keep that to a minimum?
    again thanks for all the knowledge.

Plan on the ground being wet even if it does not rain or snow on you.

Last time I was up there I hunted in my hip boots the entire time.

Dont get frustrated. I get busted by caribou almost every stalk. Many, many times they get too close. Then at any movement they bolt.

If the conditions are perfect then you will get a shot. My last caribou was shot at 50 yards and he never knew I was there. He had just come feeding over a hill and I was ready with my bow drawn back. I was in the open and the caribou just had not seen me yet.

I had practiced to 70 yards and had figured that 60 was my max for hitting a plate sized target. 50 yards I could hit softball sized groups so I felt confident at that range.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by TXbowHUNTER View Post
    speaking of vehicles, i heard that the rocks do a number on the truck. any advice on ways to keep that to a minimum?
    Interesting question. I'm going up in September and was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BowhunterTom View Post
    Interesting question. I'm going up in September and was wondering the same thing.

I have been up there several times. Right now with all trips I have done up there, the rocks did a number on my tires one trip. I had two flats on trip. on by pump station #2 and the other by Yukon Bridge. As for windshield damage. Haven't had that yet. FINGERS CROSSED
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up haul road advice...

Since your new to Alaska and bowhunting, maybe you do and maybe you don't know about the tundra "rules" up there. DO NOT for any reason take any motorized vehicle out onto it. PERIOD!! I haven't read that THAT particular subject or point of interest being posted in this thread, especially to a newcomer. If it has, then disregard... Good luck!

Default Tires and glass

I only run E rated tires on the haul road. D's might work, but I have never had a flat with a E rated tire up there.

As far as glass, take some superglue. You should have some anyways for cuts. If you get a nic in the windshield, stop immediately, clean it with alcohol, let dry, dabble the superglue on, place a small piece of wax paper on top and press the superglue into the windshield wound. Clean with a dry cloth. Last one I repaired is a half dollar size and still holding. The primer sized one ran across the windshield.

Search the forum..... lots of information there. Sort the carpola from the good stuff and you will be OK.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

First time I went up the haul road (91) I got 13 dings in my windshield. The road was much narrower then though.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile Driving Style Reduce Potential for Rock Ding

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    First time I went up the haul road (91) I got 13 dings in my windshield. The road was much narrower then though.
    Last week or the week before, I posted Haul Road driving tips, probably in this same thread.

The biggest thing is to slow way down, or stop if you can and pull way over for on coming trucks. I work for Alyeska Pipeline at Pump Station 3 now and Pump Station 6 at the Yukon before that. In the 18 months of driving the Haul Road, for 2 weeks out of each month, 1500 miles every 2 weeks, I have only received 4 noticable rock dings in the windshield. None of them warranted windshield replacement.

Somebody suggested recently, allow 2 days for travel each way. This will give you adequate time to take it easy, and reduce wear and tear on your vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast