Thread: Mtn Bike Recommendations...

Default Mtn Bike Recommendations...

I'd like some suggestions for a mountain bike. Personally, I'd rather buy used and spend less than $100-150. If I was going to buy new, I'd cap it at $500. Obivously I'm not lookin' for a top-of-the-line super bike. I want something to ride Resurrection Trail/Johnson Pass. I rode resurrection on my wife's bike and beat the snot out of it and discovered it didn't have enough gears, the brakes were lame, and it had no suspension.

Any recommendations for brands/bikes to look for on Craigslist? Any super sales coming up on new bikes? The more I spend the less inclined I'd be to buying a bike, the $ is coming from my gun fund!

Tim

Default Try the Bike Auction at the YMCA

Every year the Anchorage Police department collects stolen and abandoned bikes and the YMCA auctions them off. You can find some really nice bikes for good prices. Here is the link. http://www.ymcaalaska.org/bikeauction.html

Tim - Look for Kona, Marin, Specialized, or Giant for brands. There are a few other decent ones out there, but stay away from the Wal Mart brands (Mongoose, etc.). If you find one you're interested in, post a question here and someone will be able to tell you about it.

Things I would look for:

-Front shock. (Full suspension is nice, but on less expensive bikes the rear shock will add a lot of weight for not that much benefit.)

-Disc brakes - not a must have, but better stopping power, which is particularly nice on a trail like Resurrection.

Thanks, Brian. That's what I was lookin' for was brand names. That will help me peruse craigslist.

AKhuntinfool: I'll check out the YMCA, didn't know they did that!

Tim

Default bang for your buck

The YMCA auction is definitely a good place to look. If you're looking at spending less then $200, I would skip the disc brakes. If you were able to find a bike in that price range with disc brakes they wouldn't be worth anything. You would get better stopping power and modulation from a good set of v brakes. I've occasionally found decent bikes for less then $50 at the Salvation Army. Replaced all the bearings for another $30-$40, new housings and cables for $20-$30 and I've got a bike for less then $200 that operates better than most new bikes. Find a buddy who can do the wrenching for you. If you find a great deal on craigslist I would ask for the bike's serial # to see if it's been stolen. You can find it on the underside of the bottom bracket shell.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Default here's an example

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/582312504.html

Good frame, that shock is an older model but it's built on reliable technology (elastomer & spring). Decent component group. The most important thing is that it fits you well. You should be able to adjust the seat height so that even at the lowest point of your leg stroke you don't fully extend your leg. Whatever you get be sure to take it for a quick test ride. You'll get a feeling pretty quickly if it feels right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    -Front shock. (Full suspension is nice, but on less expensive bikes the rear shock will add a lot of weight for not that much benefit.)

-Disc brakes - not a must have, but better stopping power, which is particularly nice on a trail like Resurrection.
    These are good tips. Disc brakes really pay off in wet conditions. Rim brakes fade bade when they are wet. And at least front suspension is good too.

If you are serious about getting into riding, bump your budget up to $1000 to $1500 and you will be able to do a lot better. The suspension forks alone on my bikes are more than $500.

It's in Fairbanks, but might not be a bad deal depending on condition.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/596790789.html

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/596201877.html

Take a look at this one, Tim. He's asking $250, which is a totally decent price for this bike. My wife has the women's version of this one, and it's a great mid-range bike. Since he's moving, you may even be able to get him down a bit on the price.

Default Still lookin'

Dropping the names helped a lot; still lookin' to see what's out there. Where would I look for a new bike in Anchorage? Sunshine Sports, Sports Authority, REI? Am I out of my league looking for a new bike? I don't need a super spendy bike, I want it for riding Resurrection/Johnson and pedaling around town.

Thanks for the help so far. There hasn't been anything on the YMCA site yet.
    Tim

Sunshine Sports, The Bicycle Shop, Paramount Cycles, and REI are all good places to look for a new bike. That being said, you probably should look new and buy used. If you're patient, you can often find 1-2 year old bikes for half price. I bought mine off of eBay and saved a load of money.

Here's another great deal, this one on a full suspension K2 for $350.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/605413082.html

Another good deal, and he's got two different sizes - a 17" and a 20" frame. Better bike than the previous one, but a bit more expensive.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/607627177.html

The bike in post #12 seems like its "loaded." Wouldn't I need a 20-22" frame for my size/height?

Tim

Frame size is unfortunately measured differently by different manufacturers. That being said, you probably should be somewhere around 20". It kind of depends - for more aggressive riding, you want to go a bit smaller, while you can go a bit larger for cruising. My bike is a 17" frame and I am 6'0". I could have probably gotten away with a 19", though. The only way to know for sure, though, is to check out one of that same brand to see how you measure up.