Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 good enough for goat?

Default 7mm-08 good enough for goat?

Just returned from 1 yr in Iraq, was drawn for Mt goat and am working up some nice reloads in 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM. Both are excellent shooters. I would like to use the 7mm-08 since I have glass bedded the new stock, put a Timney trigger on it and it is a nice shooter. Shoots both 140 grain and 160 grain Accubonds really well. However, I thought I would ask if anyone has used a 7mm-08 for goat or anything less than a magnum and if so, what results. I have taken goats with my bow before, this time I am giving my son first crack at a goat and he is using a .260 Rem with 160 grain bullets. Deadly accurate and good out to about 200 yards. So, any experience out there with a 7mm-08 on goats?

The 7-08 will kill any goat on earth as will a 243 as long as you hold tight behind shoulder and and destroy the heart-lung area!
    I tend to use more than enough gun

First off, welcome back. Then yes, the 7mm-08 with a good quality bullet will take a goat as long as you follow waterrats advice. Also be careful of where on the mountain you shoot one. Make sure it isn't going to go over a cliff where you won't be able to recover it.
    Good luck!!!

welcome back, thanx for your service.
    sure it will kill a goat, question is will it stop it before it launches itself off a cliff.
    best caliber , nope......of coarse this is coming from a guy that mainly bowhunts and has 9 weeks planned for bowhunting goats this year. personal goal to get goat before i turn 60, with my bow.....i turn 59 in a week.
    Goats are very tough and will launch themselves off the nearest cliff. seems to me i have heard non recovery rate is about 40%. i friend used a 7mm-08 pistol and got a goat....close range 40 yards hit spine it was dragging itself to cliff when he put 2 more thru back and out the chest before she stopped. luckily it was still 50-60 yards from cliff.
    if i was rifle hunting them i would use nothing smaller than a .300 mag.

WHAT PERMIT DID YOU DRAW IF IT IS ONE I HAVE HUNTED I WOULD BE PLEASED TO GIVE YOU SOME INFO. i'm hunting all registration hunts this year no luck on the draw but we have had good luck in reg. areas over the years

GOOD LUCK
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

If you can do your part, then you got the perfect cartridge for your goat hunt.

Default Hell yeah it is

Go forth and kill stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Of course it will kill it, but..

I surely would recommend something larger. Goats are a tough animal and well built. I would move up to the .300 caliber, but this is only my opinion. Good luck whatever you use.

and may I suggest a 140 gr Barnes TSX to go with it. He he he

Default YEP

Run what'cha brung !! Just be real good with it. Marksmanship means everything, bullet placement being key, doping wind will help.
    Practice a LOT, from different positions unless you plan on carrying a shooting bench up a mountain with you. Good Luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default My Comment

CHAPS,
    The 7mm-08 will do fine with good placement. But that is true for all others. But more importantly, a big THANK YOU for serving your Country!!
    Welcome back and enjoy your goat hunt!

It will work fine. My wife killed a bull elk with her 7mm-08 last year. He took one step and dropped. Pick a quality bullet and place it in the right spot and you will have no problems. I like the 150 gr. nosler partions. Id stay away from the heavier bullets as they seat too far back into the powder and really hurt your performance.
    ismith

I haven't hunted goats (yet) so forgive me if this is a dumb question...

If you are trying to put the goat down where he stands before he jumps off the cliff, is the heart/lung the best shot? Seems like you would want to break some bone instead. I've always thought lung shots result in an animal that runs 50+ yds, especially when shot with a "not-too-large" caliber that doesn't impart the same amount of shock as a 338WM would. What do you guys think is best shot placement to put an animal down where it stands?

In my experience, the only totally reliable drop in the tracks shot is if you spine it. That being said, its also a iffy shot, easy to shoot above the spine. Otherwise the best chance would be through both shoulders with a heavy bullet, something a 7mm-08 probably could not do on a goat.

Ripper: beaut avatar! Rockin' old school style.

My buddy whacked a goat (and 6.5' black bear, and a moose now that I think about it) last year with a 7mm. I would think that a 7mm08 would do the job with the right bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    In my experience, the only totally reliable drop in the tracks shot is if you spine it. That being said, its also a iffy shot, easy to shoot above the spine. Otherwise the best chance would be through both shoulders with a heavy bullet, something a 7mm-08 probably could not do on a goat.
    A proper bullet would.

I've never shot a goat myself but have been on a half dozen hunts as a packer and I from what I've seen, you do NOT want a goat to be able to travel very far. It seemed like if they were hit not so good they tended to head uphill and but if hit good they head downhill. The theory seemed to be keep shooting until its down for good. We had a couple that fell and even had the opportunity to climb down the mountain, walk around it and then climb back up into waterfall chutes to try and find the goat after it fell. Accessing and butchering a goat in a waterfall chute is probably one of the sketchiest things I ever did. Personally, I'd want a 300 or 338 just to err on the side of caution...JMO tho. Then again, if I was deadly accurate with a 7mm and thats the best I had, I'd probably give it a go.

Just re-read and saw the part about the .260 at 200 yds. Most of the goats we hunted, we rarely got closer than 250 yds due to lack of cover and terrain challenges. For all the effort it takes to get to goat country, I'd want to have 300 yd range capability. Maybe some of the more goat savvy here can confirm or deny the average range on goats...

People used to kill goats with spears... I'd say a 7mm would work just as well if not better
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Questioning a 7-08 while confident in a .260 Rem?

The goat will not be able to tell which rifle killed him!

Please refer to sig line.

More than enough, Good luck

I took mine with my 6.5 Swede. I shot it in its bed and it never got up. Of course while I was approaching it after the shot, the body relaxed, it rolled over on its side, rolled again, and again, then picked up speed, then cartwheeled, .......for about a 1/4 mile down the mountainside until some stunted shrub trees stopped it. That's goat hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast