Thread: ruger super redhawk help!

Default ruger super redhawk help!

hey guys,

I purchased a ruger super redhawk 44mag back this summer, but had problems with the point of impact. I have to move my rear sights almost all the way to the left to bring the impact center (zero at 15yards)

I tried the xpress sights gold bead front and vnotch rear to see if it was a sight picture issue, but that didn't fix it...that acutally made the impact too low, i've maxed out the rear height adjustment and it just barely gets to point of aim using centermass hold.

The front sight looked like it was tilted to the left slightly. Sent the gun back to ruger, they went and re-barreld the weapon and sent it back to me.

the front sight still looks slightly tilted to the left, and my rear sight still needs to be out to the left to bring it back to center.

I'm a pretty good shot with handguns and I haven't had this problem before. I can shoot fixed sights on my XD40 dead on out to 25 yards.

Anyone have any ideas? any good gun smiths in eagle river that anyone can reccomend??

Any help would be great!!

If your bullets shoot too low, use a heavier grain bullet.
    In the 44 mag a heavier grain bullet will shoot higher on the target in regular velocity ammo.

If your sights are messed up you may need to see a smith.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks...I did try some 300gr cast core bullets and the impact did improve slightly but the rear sight is still maxed out...Should I see a smith or send the gun back to ruger? do you know if gunsmith work voids the warranty on rugers?

any thoughts to the left right issue?

Default Shooting Vise

Suggestion if you send the gun back to Ruger I would do this: 1. put the gun in a shooting vise- locked down tight- removes the human element (this what Ruger will do) 2. Now place your targets at 15 yards- 25 yards . I would work up 3-5 targets make notes on the target as to distance, load - point of aim etc. Now send everything to Ruger. I had the same situation with a Black Hawk bought used.. Turns out the previous owner had loaded up off the chart loads that were too HOT/HEAVY even for a Large Frame Ruger. The barrel and sights all had to be reworked. Me I would send it back to Ruger - they made it they understand it and they do it for Zero dollars and they pay the shipping back to you. just my opinion. And you can ship the handgun to Ruger and them back to you directly no FFL needed and that is per ATF.

I think I'm missing something here.

Would you answer these questions?

At what distance can you stand and shoot all shots into a 2" ragged hole?

When you sent the gun back why did and how do you know Ruger rebarreled the gun?

With the sights centered, where does the gun shoot and how much at what distance? (i.e. 3" left at 15 yards)

Are you shooting 240 magnum loads in the gun?

If the front sight was and still is leaning to the left, this should make the gun shoot right. Where did it shoot originally?
    If the rear sight is moved to the left it will make the gun shoot left, it shouldn't take much adjustment to compensate for a leaning front sight.

To be honest most of these that I have "fixed" and most of these that Ruger has "fixed" were shooter error. I will give you the benefit of the doubt here and say it is mechanical. Maybe you shoot like a Frogman. If you will answer my questions I'll be able to help.

Hamilton Bowen makes a very rugged set of sights that will give more adjustment and better sight picture. How do you like the Ruger shallow V and big gold dot front?

Where are you located? Maybe we could link up for a look see.
    Last edited by Murphy; 03-04-2008 at 08:09.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I agree with your appraisal and questions, Murphy.

My point in chiming in is to add my experience to answers for this part of your post: "How do you like the Ruger shallow V and big gold dot front?"

That's my all-time favorite sight on hunting handguns. In run-of-the-mill field situations and a variety of lighting conditions, the v-notch sight really makes precise aiming easy. I don't know if you've had this happen, but if you get a big fat old drop of water in the notch of a conventional rear sight, it's impossible to shoot without clearing it. And it can be tough to clear one of ice and snow. But the v-notch or "express" rear sight is a snap to clear.

Default a few additions

Here's a few thoughts based on my limited experience. Please don't take offence this isn't to insult anyones inteligence or question anyone's shooting ability.

1. I've seen similar instances solved by insuring individual is using correct dominant eye. Guys will shoot for a few years (not great usually) with the wrong eye under the assumption right handed = right eye. This is not always the case.

2. Usually if I'm working with some one who is constantly shooting left or right depending on which hand I have them adjust the trigger finger. Rather than using the pad or first joint, use the second joint. It's a little wierd at first but it forces the trigger to be pulled straight back. If that solves the problem now you know and can fix the deficiency.

3. If I run across a gun that just isn't acting right I have someone else shoot it just to ensure it's not me.

4. Last but not least. I also own a Springfield XD and in my hands it is very forgiving. Sweet shooting gun. Personnally I can shoot pretty well with all the semi autos I've shot. To me a revolver is less forgiving, basically I have to work harder to hit anything close to what I naturally can with a semi.

Also consider what you intentions are with a handgun. I have different requirements for what a gun should do based on it's intent. For hunting it better be dead on, bear protection better be pretty dang close with rapid fire, for personal defence between the eyes is great for movies but a mans chest is pretty big. When training for personal defense, if someone is becoming frustrated at accuracy I pull the target place it over my chest and let them see how even the misses relate to the human body.

Hope this helps someone.

Default Thank you!!

Thanks for all the replies!!!!

ok, I'll try and answer some of the questions, let me know if I missed one or some:

When I first bought the gun (used) I bought it from a friend whom I trust, however he also bought it used at a gun show. So at first I was skeptical but i figured it's a ruger right?

Uses: both bear protection and hunting

anyway, shooting 44mag 300gr fedaral vital shocks.

I was told to zero at 15 yards. When I first took the gun out using the standard sights with red front ramp and square cut out back with white outline sights were centered. at 15 yards impact was 4" to the right, group size 1" groups off the bench, and 1.5" to 2" two handed hold. I experimented with grip to see If I could change the impact and could not.

(Eye dominance: Right eye dominant, I've shot competitive archery for some years now and still continue to do so. I had the eye dominance tested before I bought my first bow to make sure I bought the right one.)

Then I focused on making sure I had dead on even spacing between the blades, making sure there was the same amount of light on both left and right. This didnt change impact.

Next I focused on trigger control. Making sure I was pulling straight back. I know if not careful I can pull shots to the right. This too did not change impact. Group size remained the same.

i started to adjust sights until I was centered. on the bull, and sights had to be moved almost completely to the left to bring it centered. I think I might have 2-3 clicks left but I'm not sure.

To be sure I shot at 7yards 15 yards and 25 yards. Yup I'm centered.

but the sight picture just looked so strange to the point it was distracting.

Looked like the front sight was tilted to the left and the rear sight was dipping down on the right side. I brought it to wild west guns to see if there was someone who would look at it, and the guy there told me it was an optical illusion and nothing was wrong with my firearm.

I took his word for it and decided to buy the gold bead front and vnotch rear as I prefer this sight picture for hunting and find it much faster for sight picture acquisition.

Called ruger, the technician said that yes they do make this sight for my super redhawk. bought it and went out shooting.

Ideally I prefer a 6 oclock hold, however with the gold front v rear I can not. I've spoken to ruger about this very recently. They sent me the wrong sight, one made for a redhawk and not a super redhawk. It fits but the front sight is too high, causing a low impact. (I am also aware that at 15 yards the trajectory will probably cause a low impact as well, bullet will still be rising from what I understand)

So in any case, impact did not change and rear sight still needs to be way out to the left to bring groups to center.

So I started thinking. Something might be wrong here. went home and took a straight edge placed it down both sides of the base of where you would mount your scope, and the front sight was definitely leaning to the left a considerable amount.

Called ruger, they said send it in. So I did. Follow up calls revealed that they had replaced/repaired a few parts (I think one was part of the crane?? I'll have to check the invoice again) and that they sent it for rebarrelling (which was also stated on the repair invoice)

after about 6 weeks, got the weapon back went out and shot again.

Same thing. However, front sight though not as tilted to the left it still remained slightly tilted to the left. I went and looked at my buddies super redhawk 44mag and 480 and could immediately tell that his front sight was in a more vertical alignment than my weapon.

I called ruger again today, and I think they're going to pay for me to ship it back to them, but I haven't heard back from them yet to confirm.

I appreciate all your insights please keep them coming I'm definitely open to suggestions. This is also my first revolver so I can also respect that revolvers may be harder to shoot than my xd. I'm probably going to have my friend shoot my weapon and I'll shoot his as well to see if that makes a difference. And it very well may.

Sorry for the long repost, but I hope I answered some questions and maybe that might give y'all some more info that you can share with me.

Thanks again!!

Default Sending gun to Ruger

Usually Ruger will send you a box to you for shipment-- you paid to ship it to AZ (all hand gun work done here). they will repair do a test fire - enclose the target (with load -distance etc) and the ship it back to you at no charge to you-- last time I sent them a pistol for an upgrade (9mm) they included a free clip to make up for my shipping charges to them. Ruger uses another name when shipping guns in and out --used to be Pine Tree Casting in NH and something similar for AZ so as no to draw attention. Again no need for FFL -It's rare for a redhawk to get out of wack-- sounds like the gun was abused in the past or reworked by someone who did not have the ability to do what was done.

OK, Good report. The front sight is leaning left, most likely because the barrel is not screwed in correctly? Over screwed, as it were, in more ways than one. That front sight sits in a dove tail milled in the barrel rib, it could be milled at an angle or the barrel is no in correctly. Does the rib line up with the frame correctly? The Ruger doesn't replace barrels on SRH's routinely because there is such a high probability of damaging barrel and frame. The leaning sight is not what causes the gun to shoot so much to the right, you twist the gun to 'straighten up' the sight and that shoots to the right. Same difference. You have good eyes. Print out what you just wrote here and send it with the gun back to Ruger.

Call Ruger and talk, they will send you a prepaid UPS 2nd day air label and a box if needed to ship it back. If you get the right person on the phone, you'll get a new gun returned. Don't hold back the second time around is enough.

Four inches at 15 yards is a lot of windage. I suspect that for that to be there is more wrong than a leaning front sight, severe misalignment somewhere. Good luck with Ruger.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks guys!!!

I called ruger again, hopefully soon they'll be sending me authrization to mail it back pre paid by ruger. I hope this time it solves the problem....

Thanks again everyone for your replies!