Thread: 30.06 On a budget

Default 30.06 On a budget

Have a bow but dont want to necessarily use it on my first hunt so im looking for more of a sure thing weapon until I'm better trained- With that said I'm looking for a reliable yet cheap place to get a 30.06 or a used one.... Only looking for really Rug's. Or Rem's. My budget is around 350~ Preferably but not necessarily with a scope. - Looking to do some research in the next month and will not be making a purchase until then so no rush if you have a used weapon for sale. Gun will be used on Black bears primarily and possibly moose and carribou in years down the road

- Thanks , Nick

Nick - You could probably pick up a Remington Model 710 that comes with a scope in that price range. Actually, I seem to recall seeing one in the Swap and Sell forum recently for around $300. A Remington Model 700 or Ruger MkII would be more in the $500 range, but you may also want to consider a Savage. If you don't see anything here in the forums, I'd suggest that you head out to Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River. They're good folks and will treat you well, and they often have lightly used rifles that might be a good fit for you.

The Savage rifles are pretty darn accurate and they don't cost much. There were also a bunch of Mossberg marketed rifles out last year that came with a cheap scope and sling for around $300 brand new. The local hardware store sold a BUNCH of them and they work just fine.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You should be able to find a used one in some of the pawn shops around town, depending of where you live.

Thanks for all the information I'll definately be hitting some shops later on this month

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

06s are plentiful.

Try the Gun Show at the end of this month.
    Check the Swap and Sell Forum.
    Post a WTB on that forum.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Around wasilla the walmart has savage stevens 200 for $299 but I have not seen one in 30-06, only 308 and 300 win mag. Sportsmans Whorehouse may have the 30-06 but they are $319 there.

I bought my push feed winchester M70 for $289 at Chimos a couple months ago.

Saw a 30-06 remington BDL in nice shape on some crazy plastic stock for $359 at a pawn shop in Wasilla.

Sportsmans warehouse has NEF handi rifles for $249.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Walmart

Hi,

I saw a Remington 700 sps in 30-06 yesterday at walmart for 298 with scope.

Ron

That would be a great deal.

Ron,

Was that in Michigan?

Remington SPS rifles are not sold with scopes here and the rifle alone are $469.

----

I was getting to ready to rush down to my local wal-mart until I thought I better check to see where you are from.

Default Why Was This Thread Moved???????????

This thread is clearly about finding a hunting rifle.

The 30-06 caribou thread is still standing?????????

The shooting thread is more about shooting than hunting.

Maybe the shooting thread should be split into hunting rifles and hunting handguns.

With another thread for shooting and gunsmithing.

--

Bow and muzzleloader get their own thread. Why is the other hunting weapons bunched in with target shooting and gunsmithing?

Miller - I know I can't please everyone with the moving threads decision, but since you're curious, here is the basic framework that I use for which thread goes where in relation to guns.

-If the thread is specific to hunting, I'll leave it in the hunting forum. Examples are whether a certain caliber is adequate for bears, etc.

-If the thread is about guns in general (which model is best, gunsmithing questions, etc.), I move it to the shooting forum. In my experience, people get better answers to gun-specific questions here in the shooting forum. We have some members who don't visit the hunting forum often, but who are amazing resources when it comes to shooting questions. The member posing the question is well served to have the thread in the appropriate place in such cases.

Have you tried the recent gun shows? I'd seen a few rifles there in your price range. There must be another coming up shortly.

Tim

Thanks for replying.

Default Recommendation for a .30-06

Get someone knowledgeable to help you and pick up a nice sporterized Springfield 1903 or A3 for $200 or so. I've bought a bunch in the price range already set up for a scope and ready to go.

Controlled feed, a real extractor and ejector, and all steel - no cheap stamped parts or pot metal or plastic trigger guards. The Springfield will still be shooting when the other have given up the ghost.

After all this is Alaska - you don't need a lower 48 gun for hunting.

Thumbs up Remington 710/770

I am new to hunting but have been involved with shooting all my life. Personally I LOVE the Remington 710 (Now known as the Remington 770). You can shoot a 55 gr bullet up to a 220 gr bullet. The weapon is ready to fire out of the box. It comes with a bushnell scope (which is OK to start off with) and the magazine is detachable. It has user friendly features and is durable. You can shoot anything with it and the right bullet. Hope this helps you.......

RMiller,

Yes that was in Jackson, Michigan. Have you thought about someone with a FFL buying it at cost? We have a store her in the area called GUNS GALORE. Randy ships things everywhere, and his prices are always below the best I could get with an FFL. He is great to work with. Do a google search and call. 25-35 bucks to ship but if you save 100 or more is worth it.

Good Luck

Ron