Thread: Best Time For Halibut and Salmon

Default Best Time For Halibut and Salmon

Anyone have any info on Halibut fishing. My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska for summer '08 and I would like to try some Halibut fishing. Also, when does salmon fishing on the rivers begin? We will be in the Palmer area visiting relatives. What is the best time to go. And no, the Palmer relatives are not fishermen, so they are not much help.
    Thank you.
    www.minnesotaoutside.net

Default timing for fish

There aren't many halibut spots in Palmer... :?

That being said, most anytime from June through August is great for halibut and salmon. On the Kenai Peninsula, the peak times for salmon are:

Russian: (Sockeye) Mid-late June and Mid July through Mid August
    Kenai: (Kings) 3rd or 4 week of June, Mid July to end of month
    Kenai: (Sockeye) quick run in mid June big run mid July through first week of August
    Kenai: (pink) mid-late August
    Kenai: (coho) August through September (open now through end of November)

Kasilof: (Kings) mid May through July
    Kasilof also has a good sockeye and silver run.

Valley Streams will be very similar in timing, but I don't know enough to say when the best fishing is...

The halibut in Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay is very plentiful from late May through end of August

In Resurrection Bay, good through August along with rock fish and lings. July in Seward is incredible for silvers and halibut etc.

also, you might consider Whittier or Valdez for halibut and other botom fish..

Hope that helps..

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    That being said, most anytime from June through August is great for halibut and salmon. On the Kenai Peninsula, the peak times for salmon are:
    Great info. Nice and concise. Way to get to the point.

did you read the rest of his post? If that is all you have to add why not just not post?

For the guy was asking an actual question also try

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

That is a day by day table giving the numbers or reds or sockeye hitting the Kenai and Kasilof. Hope the link works.