Thread: bow hunting for moose on FT Wainwright

Default bow hunting for moose on FT Wainwright

Anyone ever hunted on Ft. Wainwright? Just interested if anyone has shot any bulls.

Default YEP

I shot a 30" bull on post this year.

Default YA

what part of ft wainwright are you looking to hunt? I shot a 48" in 2005

If'n you don't know, you need to pull a draw tag to hunt moose on post and on Elmendorf. I hunted with a buddy last year on Elmendorf and he shot a 47"er on the last day, lotsa moose out there for sure.

Default yep

Neighbor shot a 47" in '05, and I shot a 37" in '06. there aint no drawing. Be legal and register with resource management on base.

Default moose hunting on main post

I know that there is no drawing on post. All you need is a hunters ed certificate, hunting lisc., and the appropriate locking tag. I haven't been moose hunting with a bow up here yet so I wanted to see where people have had luck on the Main post.

We've hunted base for a number of years now. We've seen a few shot now by other people. Though I'm a bit suprised at the size and number of bigger bulls considering. I've shot a 32"er on base and a buddy of mine has killed two over the years. Mind you we spent every waking day on base to do it! Where to hunt? I know lots of places to be. Some years they seemed to be on the western part and some times the eastern. Also noticed they seemed to move a bit, or maybe cycle through an area if you will. FWA main post is small enough finding a place to hunt isnt hard, assuming you are doing the main base side and not the yukon training area behind eielson afb. .

Default Wainright/Richardson

I think some of you are getting Wainright and Richardson mixed up. Wainright is not a draw hunt, but Fort Rich is.

Yes, you are correct, I was confused and thanks for catching it!