Thread: chuit fishing

Default chuit fishing

i was thinking about adding a chuit flyout to my trip on june 15. has anyone fished the chuitna for kings. is it worth the $425 for the flyout. or the $625 for the helicopter trip.
    thanks

Default Yes

I guide the Chuitna and know the river very well. It's one of my most favorite places to fish on the west side. There are some real pigs over there, 50 plus pounders. It's worth it in my opinion, you just have to define "worth".
    Marc Theiler

The chuit is well worth it. That should be good timing. It is an awesome river big fish and lots of them.
    Klickman

I'd say for the plane or chopper ride alone it would be worth the money...fishing in realish wilderness and no roadnoise or coffee wagons...priceless.

Default chuit

What a great place to spot and stalk kings.

Does the $425 include an overnight stay and some meals? If not, I don't see the value (with my income level).

I heard of a place over there that has a couple Isuzu Troopers for rent. I've thought about taking a scheduled ERA flight, renting a rig and camping for a night or two. Or, even take a scheduled flight to the Aurora camp with a mountain bike and make the 7 mile round trip to the River. Most likely you could thumb a ride, though.

Someone will probably comment on the fact the river is mostly on Tyonek land, but I have never been bothered on the Beluga side of Lone creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I'd say for the plane or chopper ride alone it would be worth the money...fishing in realish wilderness and no roadnoise or coffee wagons...priceless.
    Wilderness? You'll hear more more road noise on the Chuit than you'd expect. You may not see anybody but you'll be aware that you're not very far away.

I think the OP (original poster) is talking about the deal where they fly groups across the inlet by charter from Soldotna or similar. To answer the question, hmmm, $425 is easier than driving to anchorage, but if you are already in anchorage then you would take spernak's scheduled service to beluga from merrill and arrange a shuttle from there to one of the river access paths, or to the theodore, for half the price. You wouldn't go to Soldotna and then fly north.
    Last edited by stevesch; 03-03-2008 at 21:32. Reason: spelling

Default Chuit is being overrun

The Chuit has been receiving increasing pressure every year. Last year the fish showed up late in the other rivers and that put a lot of additional pressure on the Chuit. Some so called guides even had drop camps down at the mouth. Those were not happy people. Most of those guys didn't catch a single king. Quite honestly it looked more like Ship creek, shoulder to shoulder fishing. There was certainly no "wilderness" experience anywhere to be found on the Chuit last June.
    Another thing, someone in a previous post made a reference to Lone Creek. Lone Creek and the Chuit where Lone Creek runs in is "CLOSED" to king fishing. Read the regulations.
    I've had many great days on the Chuit, but after last year my son and I are planning to go elsewhere this year for our annual king fishing trip.

Keep in mind a good amount of the land surrounding the river is owned by the Tyonek Native Corporation, and they will kick you out if your treaspassing. There are a couple of easements at the mouth and one several miles up river for access purposes. There is a pilot who flys a Bell Ranger chopper, and does not seem to mind landing on the Tyonek side of the river. He puts out a good spread for lunch. My native guide was not happy, and took pictures of the incident. The only other down side is the water does muddy up after a big rain, but that was not a factor last year.

is the helicopter in for $625 any better fishing than the walk in for $425?
    meaning is the fishing better because you can reach better spots. the money dosen't bother me i just want better or more fishing.

The helicopter is the way to go because river access and hiking can be tough, and they will shuttle you to some good spots. "Walk-ins" are you referring to High Adventures, which offer access from the bridge through the Native Corp? Their client's are usually assigned a 1/2 mile section below or above the bridge to fish

Default chuit

we used hi adventure last june bright sunshine and fishing was tough but all 4 of us caught one with the biggest 42# having said this 4 bites wrer all we had and there was a lot of fisherman on the river

Yes, low water conditions made the fishing tough last year. Best bite seemed to be early morning before the sun hit the water. It can get a little crowded with the Tyonek lodge guests, and a couple of other locals shuttle clients in to fish.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-05-2008 at 11:00. Reason: spelling

just remember - PacRim coal is moving ahead with permits to strip coal from the Chuitna watershed. Their Clean Water Act permit says they will dump 7 million gallons A DAY of mine waste and run off into the tributaries - that means Lone Creek and surrounding unnamed streams will get hammered. If you want to see for yourself, check out www.chuitnaseis.com

Angry Strip mine the ol fishin hole

Quote Originally Posted by cookinlet View Post
    just remember - PacRim coal is moving ahead with permits to strip coal from the Chuitna watershed. .....will dump 7 million gallons A DAY of mine waste and run off into....Lone Creek and surrounding unnamed streams ...
    That's not going to help the fishin.
    I've been fishing the Chuit for 25 years. It isn't as good as it once was, but it can still be fun. I wish they would restrict the helicopter fishing. I watch numerous flights each day just hovering over the clear water and landing everytime they spot fish. Then kill them all. With all of the mine activity (bird watchers, whale watchers, geologists, surveyors, drillers etc.) the helicopter traffic is getting thick. The proportionally huge increase in people is correspondingly impacting the fish & game.

Back to the original question. It is still worth the money. (If the fish are in and the water's not too high) You would get better fishing value for your money if the helicopter put you on a school. (If they are just dropping and leaving you I vote no helicopter)

Don't forsake just a drop off though. It is a neat river to hike and seek fish on.
    Be bear aware.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it