Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Bush Adventures - Les Krank's outfit

Default Alaska Bush Adventures - Les Krank's outfit

Anybody heard anything about Alaska Bush Adventures out of Anchorage? Seems like a decent outfit from what I've seen, a lotta nice 60+ moose and usually in the caribou pretty thick. I was impressed by what I saw in their videos.

But I ran across some negative ratings online and I thought I better look a little deeper before I commit. I was surprised. Any info would be appreciated!

I understand the privacy policy and completely agree. Just looking for some honest insights here. The boys over at ADF&G said they have to watch what they say about everybody . . . said I would most likely find straight shooters with good info here.

I'd like to get my confidence restored before I pull the trigger on the deal. It's a lot of dough to be gamblin' on an outfit.

Thanks!

Wink importance of pre hunt research

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarJAJ
    Anybody heard anything about Alaska Bush Adventures out of Anchorage? Seems like a decent outfit from what I've seen, a lotta nice 60+ moose and usually in the caribou pretty thick. I was impressed by what I saw in their videos.

But I ran across some negative ratings online and I thought I better look a little deeper before I commit. I was surprised. Any info would be appreciated!

I'd like to get my confidence restored before I pull the trigger on the deal. It's a lot of dough to be gamblin' on an outfit.

Thanks!
    of course you will be impressed by the videos. that is the idea. don't try to jam a square peg into a round hole or how about this one, where there is smoke there is fire.

do thorough research, after you get there it is too late.

good luck.

i know some guys who've guided over there for les and i've had some clients who've hunted with him. details i'm not sure if, but they didn't go back. if you can find someone who worked for him they'd be able to give you the inside scoop without spreading any gossip. If i was looking at moose, i'd go farther south than les's place. hes in a popular place there, sandy river lodge pulls down some good one and so does wildman lake lodge, been down there and seen the moose, i'd go.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have names of guys who've guided with Alaska Bush Adventures? That's a great idea - just need to get a lead on where to start and I'll run with it from there.
    And has anyone else heard anything about the outfit (bad OR good)?
    Thanks!

if you want names of les's guides, ask him for them. if he gives you names contact them and ask them for names of guys they know who've worked there. but if les won't give you names, then i'd guess that would answer your questions right there...

Question

I'm kind of at a loss now, not sure where to start looking. I'm interested in hearing about some reputable outfits if anyone has a lead. I understand I could end up with some self-serving leads to equallly questionable guides, but I'm starting from square one right now.
    Don't have any other source for word-of-mouth referrals. A little help? Thanks!

Thumbs up pre hunt booking screening

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR
    if you want names of les's guides, ask him for them. if he gives you names contact them and ask them for names of guys they know who've worked there. but if les won't give you names, then i'd guess that would answer your questions right there...

that is some savvy solid advice. you should heed it.

GunnarJAJ, if you haven't booked a hunt yet you may have trouble getting one this late, especially with a reputable outfit. There are a ton of good outfits up here but like anyplace else, we have our bad ones as well. Try doing a web search and contact everyone that appeals to you.

Default 2007 Hunt

Thanks for the heads up AkHunter. I'm actually trying to put together a hunt for 2007. I know that some of the best outfits might even be booked up out past 2007 already, but I'm willing to be patient. This hunt is something I've worked hard for for a long time and I'm gonna do it right.
    Could folks PM me with leads on guides they have knowledge do it right for a reasonable price.
    Appreciate all of the input. My eyes have been opened.

Default moose outfitters

joe klutcsh, is a top moose outfitter is you are looking for a trophy. there is another top guy that was recently mentioned here, i am now having a brain fart and can not think of his name. both guys would be for trophy animals, read expensive.

Thumbs up Wildman Lake and Cinder River Lodges

Wildman Lake Lodge and Cinder River Lodge would be my choices for moose and brown bear....have guided at both...Wildman is more of an "uptown" lodge used for both fishing and hunting...Cinder River is an older camp, but a consistent producer of B&C animals...Gary "Butch" King owns both lodges.
    Both can be accessed by the web....www.wildmanlakelodge.com ...check out the picture pages and judge for yourself.....I will go back and guide there again in the future when my kids are a little older and not so dependant on one of us being there to get them off to school, etc. Wife can retire in 3 more years, and I can hardly wait (selfishly), to get back down on the Penninsula.
    Theother operations mentioned in other posts have good to excellent reputations as well, I have no first hand experience with them however. All are expensive, but having been in the guiding industry for nearly 15 years and working in various parts of Alaska with various operations, I tend to believe that you get what you pay for....
    Happy Hunting
    J

Default more trophy moose outfitters

a little research cured the brain fart.

george siavelis and phil driver. both guys have put many entries in b and c . i have many friends that have hunted with phil driver and all have been satisifed. one guy took a b and c, the rest big animals that they were happy with. a reputable guy to go with, he does not have much time left to retirement.

good luck.

Default correction!!!

I gave the wrong web address for Wildman and Cinder River Lodges
    The correct address is:
    www.wildmanlodge.com

sorry for the confusion
    J

You guys are great! I appreciate all of the help and insight. I feel like a schlub not being able to "put into the pot," but I have no Alaskan hunting experience that I can contribute ~ YET. If anyone needs info about hunting elk in Colorado I have your back.

I hope this helps you in avoiding ******************

*post deleted in accordance with forum rules*
    Last edited by Webmaster; 01-09-2008 at 21:35. Reason: negative comments about businesses prohibited

Default <Guide Service Name edited> - I got out!

I appreciate the post - I actually took the advice I received on AOD Forum and pulled out of the hunt. I had put $1,000 down and knew getting it back from <the guide> would be impossible if I took a belligerent approach, so I called him and let him know I couldn't make it in '07 for personal reasons.

He gave me a line about already having the guide lined up and made as if he had already gone to some effort to coordinate my hunt (more than a year ahead of time) so we compromised and he sent $500 back.

I chalked the $500 loss up to me being foolish sending out money before checking the threads. Was an expensive lesson to learn, but not nearly as expensive as those of Shaun, Morgan, and others who have been disappointed by <guide business>.

I consider myself fortunate and am in debt to everyone on the threads who were willing to shed light on the 'smoke' so I could make my own determination that there was a 'fire.'

Ended up putting the hunt off for a while - so it's gonna be REALLY expensive when I finally make it up there. I oughta just move up there and learn my way around so I can do it without a guide! :-)

I appreciate your note.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 01-09-2008 at 21:39. Reason: negative posts about businesses not permitted

gunnar, good for you alot of guys would have went anyways and been disapointed, its your money, invest wisely as they say.
    were you just looking for a moose hunt?
    shoot me a pm when you get bored and let me know what your looking to do, i might know some guys.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Gunnar:

It may sting a little, but for an inexperienced guy, you made the right decision. It probably would have only gotten worse had you went.

The fact that he kept part of your money should tell you something.

Have you booked your hunt yet?

good luck.

Cold Zero

Definitely glad I got out. Haven't booked yet - not sure when it's going to work now. Will be up in Nome and St Michael this summer fishing, so probably can't swing the hunt until 2010.

For purposes of gathering information (and the 'heads-up' on the mistake I almost made) the thread has been fantastic, but I also realize that because I'm not familiar with the individuals that post, I can't tell unbiased information from self-serving.

Know what you guys know, where can someone in my shoes go for solid word-of-mouth references and information about where hunting opportunities are good/herd populationsare healthy?

Try Larry Bartlett over @ Pristine Ventures, he might be able to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast