Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWG's customer service

Question WWG's customer service

I don't want to start another thread about this place but I have to know, has the service gotten any better in the last few years? I need to get a few things for my Marlin XLR and I am dreading going to that place. I'd order it but they don't have any type of order page on their website and the few places that carry their stuff do not have what I need. I will post here how my experience goes, hopefully it will be a good one.

Ken still is.......there.

I wouldn't risk it.

I prefer the customer service at the walmart gun counter than WWG. Nuff said

Exclamation Negative comments

Guys.....rules say no negative comments about businesses and individuals. If you have a concern, just indicate that and let people PM you for details.

That's the best we can do right now.

David

Wouldn't want to risk something being posted that would piss off the advertisers, I guess. Jerks like you, who insist on stifling legitimate discussion are a big part of why some companies can get away with the same crap, year after year. It's your forum, and you are certainly free to run it however you choose, but I'm not going to participate in it, and if I ever see it linked to on one of the many other forums that I do participate in, I'll make sure it is known that your readers are only allowed to hear one side of the story.

Default WWG customer service

Still is lacking, in my opinion. There is one guy there that has turned me off from doing business with them for the last few years now. I went in there with my Marlin 1895G (that I ended up buying somewhere else) to get their big loop lever, bear-proof ejector, etc. installed. The turn around was quick and price what I expected, but I got home and discovered a nice big scratch all the way down one side of my receiver. I will NOT bring my rifle back there for any work.

Want to see pictures of this sloppiness? Just send me a PM...

I'm just going there to buy a few things, they aren't touching any of my rifles but I hate bad customer service. I'm going there on Saturday as I need to get this stuff done before spring bear hunting rolls around. If you have any negative experiences please feel free to pm me since we cannot talk about it here. Thanks.

Default No complaints

I must be one of few people who have done business there with pleasant results. Never any complaints in my somewhat limited experiences there.

Keep in mind WWG usually has tremendous discounts on the type parts you are looking for at the Great Alaskan Sportsman's Show. If you can wait a month, you will save a bunch of money. Also, if you aren't comfortable installing those parts yourself, other smiths may do it for you - mine did. Vince Baldauf at Precision Arms in Anchorage.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKing View Post
    I prefer the customer service at the walmart gun counter than WWG. Nuff said
    That statement was probably meant in jest, but I have to say there are two fellas that work the gun counter in Eagle River that know their jobs. I've been in there a couple of times to bs with them and check prices. They can order nearly every gun under the sun. I've ordered from them and saved a lot of $.

That being said, I'd rather support a local business than a large national corporation; I'll be out to Boondocks to spruce-up my '.06 with new rings/stock today!

Tim

Default wwg

I have had consistently good experiences at WWG. I know that others do not necissarily share my opinion, but I have been happy with the work that they have done for me. I am currently having them build a copilot with a custom walnut stock. For new firearms, they are much more competative on prices than some of the other local shops in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
    Jerks like you, who insist on stifling legitimate discussion are a big part of why some companies can get away with the same crap, year after year.
    Jerks like us, eh?

Very recently we were threatened with a lawsuit when a negative comment was posted about a business and not deleted within 12 hours. Did the company have a legal leg to stand on? Well...depends on which lawyer you talk to. Even if they didn't end up winning their lawsuit, though, the owner of this (free) site would be forced to spend many thousands of dollars contesting the suit in court.

Forgive the sarcasm, but if you're willing to front a few thousand dollars for a legal defense fund, then perhaps we'll allow negative comments. Yes, the legal/financial threat is real. No, it's not a risk worth taking. You can share negative experiences through the private message system, which I think is a quite reasonable solution.

Default worried about libel?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Jerks like us, eh?
    Yes.

Libel - a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression.

Now, the key to that definition is whether the post was "unjust". If someone comes onto a forum and continually flames a business for the sole intent of hurting said business, then I can see your point. Moderation requires discretion, not the snuffing out of valid opinions that were developed due to crappy service or products. There is a difference. If you want your forum to continue to be a valid source of information, I recommend you have a little more tolerance for differing opinions.

As I see it right now, WWG has a reputation, and one that it rightfully earned. They have neat products that bring value to the outdoorsmen, but their quality of help staff can be, at times, lacking. Now all this angst may stem from one employee. That's the business's choice to continue his/her employment at the expense of said reputation.

As a consumer it is my choice not to support that decision, and to inform other enthusiasts of their staff quality, or lack their of. This is not libel. Welcome to capitalism.

Default look closer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Jerks like us, eh?

Very recently we were threatened with a lawsuit when a negative comment was posted about a business and not deleted within 12 hours. Did the company have a legal leg to stand on? Well...depends on which lawyer you talk to. Even if they didn't end up winning their lawsuit, though, the owner of this (free) site would be forced to spend many thousands of dollars contesting the suit in court.

Forgive the sarcasm, but if you're willing to front a few thousand dollars for a legal defense fund, then perhaps we'll allow negative comments. Yes, the legal/financial threat is real. No, it's not a risk worth taking. You can share negative experiences through the private message system, which I think is a quite reasonable solution.
    I notice that both these complainers are new members, Brian. I take that as a sign they probably got kicked off other forums. Easy to see why.

Dump them and get on with running a great site.

Default Gentlemen please...

Before this gets out of hand let me pass on a little advise. Surf through this forum and get a feel for proper behavior and etiquet before posting any further. There is a lot of info about business on all of these forums good and bad, it just has to be done properly. Also look at comments from the moderators. These guys are not bully hall monitors. They contribute tons of FREE info to all of the forums. If someone is out of line or the topic becomes skewed they politely and professionally keep things on track.
    Thanks Moderators!!

Now lets all just sit back take a deep breath and count to ten.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    Ken still is.......there.
    Yep, still am

Keep in mind WWG usually has tremendous discounts on the type parts you are looking for at the Great Alaskan Sportsman's Show.
    Don't know if we are going to discount parts this year, we are back ordered like crazy

Default I went with Precison Arms

I just got my XLR back from Vince to have the barrel bobbed to 18.5. No complaints; fast, reasonable, easy to work with. I had a Ruger trigger done at the same time and it also came out very nice. 3 1/4 lbs, very crisp no take up. 279-5755 (Anchorage)

Default I'm the other guy with no complaints

I've had two guns worked on there, both muzzle brake jobs, one is currently in the shop and am picking it up sometime this week. I go there because of past reputation of the best parts and workmanship, hasn't failed me yet. I don't really care if the counter staff are lackluster. Much like a doctor, I don't care about their bedside manner, I want to know that they are the best at what they do. The people in the back are more important to me than the people in the front of the store.

As for blasting them on here, actions speak louder than words, don't bring anything to them, they certainly don't seem underworked over there so at least a fair number of people think they are ok. Maybe it's the non-forum members????

Default Never had a problem!

Never had a problem, I will keep going back; I know they are the best at what they do. Never had a problem with anyone’s personality, maybe years working for Uncle Sam has given me some pretty thick skin and any friendly sarcasm just made for better conversation with an apparently VERY busy staff. BUT, in the end I have always been offered nothing but super HONEST help, great deals and advice. One saying that sticks in my mind when I hear no so good things as people may say is “when you’re at the top you have to work doubly as hard to stay there because someone always wants to knock you down. No one much cares if your second best and they will leave you alone” In my mind WWG is at the top and been there for a while.

Not knocking any others so out of fairness I will mention I have got some unbelievable deals from Boondocks also along with good advice with a great staff.

Breakup us almost upon us, cabin fever will be no more, let’s to have some fun and not sweat the small stuff!

Well I said I would come back and post a report on how things went at WWG's. I walked in the store and there was 1 customer in front of me so I walked around checking things out. Then an older gent came from the back and asked if he could help me. I told him what I needed and he said, "Would you like us to put those on for you"? I thought about it for a moment and then told him sure. In the meantime he showed me around the store and was very cordial and friendly. We talked a little about custom guns and such and 15 minutes later my rifle was ready. I went to pay the man for the parts fully expecting a charge for installation but there was none so I was happy about that. He gave me a flyer said thanks for coming in and I left. So with that I have to say my epxerience with WWG's on that day was a pretty good one, though I did feel a little sales pressure that is to be expected. I will probably go back and get another part or 2 then I am done with the XLR, other than getting her sighted in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast