Thread: Gun Smith Advice please

Default Gun Smith Advice please

Back in 1992 I bought a new Browning A-bolt 375 H&H in stainless/synthetic form.It came with a Swift 3x9 scope and its been basically the only gun I take with me on my hunts.
    I've finally decided to put some money into it and make it more pleasurable to shoot.Upon reading other forum members talking up Stan Jackson's work I dropped off the rifle last monday and had it magna-ported,trigger worked on and a MUCH better butt pad.
    Got it back on friday and went shooting yesterday,shot a box of 20 and shoulder is great.Very pleased....Question being is Stan mentioned that I could also have the action blueprinted,moved and glass bedded.I wont even pretend that I know really what all that means but he did say if my groups were spaced out on paper that this work would definitely tighten them up.Would the process be worth it if I'm hitting 6 shots at 150 yards into the size of a softball?I would do this if it improved the gun much....Would it be worth spending another $375.00???
    Also,I'm ready for a scope upgrade.I like to use the rifle for different hunts,not a bear only gun.Would the Luepold Euro 30 2-7x33mm be a good choice?From the very little I know about scopes I really liked what I seen through it at the gun shop.Much better eye relief than whats on it know. Would 2x7 be best choice for all around hunting?
    Lastly......(promise)......How does the make/model rifle I own rank with other 375's out there? When I bought it I just walked in,liked what I seen and walked out with it.I'm by no means a gun buff,just curious of what those who do know alot on guns think of this rifle.Havent really started using it till bout 5 years ago and its done alright by me.....3 moose and 5 caribou.Any opinions and advice much appreciated in advance.

If you want top spend the money I would upgrade the plastic stock. You would be surprised how much that helps with recoil. Also I wouldnt spend the money to have the action blue printed unless you were installing an aftermarket barrel. Really doesnt do that much good with factory barrel tollerences. As for bedding the stock, you bet. It also something you could do for about $20 bucks at home.

As for scopes the 2-7 is a great option. I have a 1.5x5x20 on my HH. I dont think you really need any more for AK (MHO). Im also not a big fan of the euro's but that just me.

There is alot of stuff you can do to your rifle, but if its a shoots I would leave it alone

As much as I enjoy upgraded guns, Id say yours sounds just fine. Kenaikings advice sounds like the way to go though if you still want to dump some good money into it.

If it doesnt have open sights on it thats what Id do to it. Good to always have the backups!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, from the game tally you posted it sounds like your rifle has proven itself to be a winner as is! As for the accuracy that you are currently getting, I think I would try a few different loads first and see how it does on paper before I went out and spent a bunch of money for action blue printing and a new barrel, but the first thing I would do is clean it really well. I don’t know, but suspect that you probably have a fair amount of copper in the barrel and that sometimes can contribute to large groups. At least that is the case with my 375H&H. I have found that the easiest way to clean my 375H&H and other long guns that I have that copper up real bad is to plug the chamber with one of those specially designed chamber plugs that have an o-ring on them. These can be purchased thru midway-usa or other distributors. You then stand the thing up and fill the barrel with Hoppie’s #9 and let it sit for a couple of days. It takes most of the labor out of the equation and works very well.

As for an accuracy testing load; I have always had very good luck with Hornady 270 gr round nose bullets and Alliant Reloader 19. I don’t remember the exact powder weight that I use, but it is about 2 grains below the max listed in the Hornady data. It is not uncommon for this load to put 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards thru my 375H&H with several of the holes touching or clover leafed. I have seen this load shot thru 4 or 5 rifles over the years and it has always proven to be very accurate in all the guns. If you don’t get good accuracy with this load then I think I would start looking for other issues to deal with, but even then I think I would start with the cheap and easy stuff like barrel bedding, new stock etc before I went out and bought a new barrel. You need to remember that the actions and barrels used on production guns for the last 20 years or so, are nearly all made on state of the art machinery and the tolerances, while they can certainly be improved upon, are no where as large as they were back in the days when rifles were still being hand fit.

Good luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thanks for the replies...Will for sure try the Hornady 270's and the cleaning method using the chamber plug.I do clean it often when in use but sounds like the copper deposits may take a little more work than what ive been applying.It does already have open sights and that was important to me as well when I purcased the gun.
    and as for te glass bedded process....How is it done and what exactly does it accomplish??Thanks for the insight guys,I love this forum!

Default Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Thanks for the replies...Will for sure try the Hornady 270's and the cleaning method using the chamber plug.I do clean it often when in use but sounds like the copper deposits may take a little more work than what ive been applying.It does already have open sights and that was important to me as well when I purcased the gun.
    and as for te glass bedded process....How is it done and what exactly does it accomplish??Thanks for the insight guys,I love this forum!
    Soft ball accuracy at 150 is plenty for a large caliber hunting rifle in my book. Before glass bedding, I'd either put the money into a new stock or additions to your recoil system. I've got a Ruger #1 in 375 that's been magnaported and had one of those mercury recoil reduction systems put in the buttstock. The combo works so well that you can actually see bullet impact through the scope. Shooting side by side with a #1 in 30-06, you can't see bullet impact through the scope on the stock 06, and the 375 honestly seems to recoil less.

I'm not so worried about recoil itself, and it sounds like you aren't either. But man, the advantage of seeing bullet strike through the scope is huge. It would be an even bigger deal for me on a repeater.

Soft ball accuracy is unnacceptable.
    Magnaporting doesnt help with the recoil of a 375 although it will ease muzzle jump.
    Further if it is a factory Browning stock, it really cant be bedded.
    Squaring and Trueing a A Bolt isnt going to help
    Try a few different factory loads to see what bullet wieght shoots best. Shoot from a lead sled or such like so you cut down on the recoil.

You didn't say how the softball groups were made. Were you on a bench rest, off the hood of a pick up, sitting standing. If I could hit a softball 6 out of 6 times sitting or standing at 150 yds, I'd be satisfied.

Dean

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies....
    Dino,I should have specified from the get-go....your right.This grouping was done from a sitting position at Isaac Walton without a rest.
    WildAK,some have told me that magna-porting does absolutely nothing for lessining recoil while others have said thats what it is done for.Stan Jackson told me that his magna-porting job would lesson my guns recoil by as much as 60%.Usually after 9 shots at a target I'm thinking ENOUGH! Shot 20 the other day and I felt nothing afterwards...Not a wuss but this is so much more fun now.I would think that I cant credit the less recoil all to the different recoil pad can I? Also you stated that a Browning stock cannot be glass bedded...Wish I could say I already knew the answer so I didnt sound ignorant but why is that?And is squaring and trueing unhelpful in all rifles or just in an A-bolt Browning and why?Sorry for asking so many ??? but am seriously interested.Thanks for your reply in advance WildAK.
    Brownbear...The mercury recoil reduction sounds pretty cool but I could shoot the .375 all day the way it is now,although seeing through the scope after shot follow-up would be nice.
    Bottom line is I want to be the best I can be with this rifle.I'm not buying something else,I'll get as proficient as possible with this one.Sept. of 08' I will be flying 130 miles west of bettles for a 9 day caribou/bear/wolf hunt and the .375 is gonna be right there with me. On a positive note every animal I've taken with this gun has taken only the one shot.
    Big ???......would a 2x7,1.5x5 or a fixed 4 power be the best choice in a scope for me?My buddies are just confusing me with there input!!!!!Thanks for any and all insight.

Default Depends on your taste.

All of my heavies that aren't wearing peep sights have the Leupold VXII 1.5x5 on them. I think I've found the right one for me.

Take it back. Softball sitting without a rest is very good.

Shoot from a rest, then report.

As to bedding, the good stuff really doesnt stick, plus the stock is hollow in the forend.

Square and truing isnt gonna add a bit of accuracy to a factory A Bolt IMHO

thanks for the insight guys. Will try grouping from a rest and see.
    will also check out the vxII 1.5x5 closer.You feel good with that power? Just wondering if you ever wish you could get better magnification at times....Alot of people say its not needed to go over 5 power. If you "HAD" to take a 300 yard shot would the 5 power still be your choice? I've honestly never had anything but 3x9's on hunting rifles. Sounds like I may have been short changing myself all along.

Im still curious as to why the A-bolt wont benefit from squaring and truing? Is it the design of the action?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im still curious as to why the A-bolt wont benefit from squaring and truing? Is it the design of the action?
    That, together with the fact that they are hunting rifles.....