Thread: Halibut charters

Default Halibut charters

I am looking for info on halibut charters that will take kids on the boat. Looking at 3 adults and 3 kids. Kids are 7,8,9 The 9 year old is actually my brother and the 7 and 8 are mine sons. I know they will have a tough time reeling one in but they can surely hook them.
    My two boys can pull up my 15 # anchor when we are salmon fishing.
    We may also be able to have up to 14 people to do a whole boat trip.

I am looking for maybe Whittier, or any one on the Kenai peninsula.

Any info would be appreciated as I thought I would save cold calling for last in hopes of good references.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Lots of good charter capts post on here. I'd pm them and see what they offer. I have some suggestions if that doesn't work, and you can pm me.

Most charters in Alaska are 6 packs in that they take 6 people. There are some that take more like the 14 you mentioned but I don't hear much good about them. Like I said the charter guys will follow with more/better info.
    I would give any one of them that post on here good marks on knowledge and friendliness. I can't say I've fished with any though.

I would think any charter would take you and the kids, but you will most likely have to pay. Most charters run in the $180/day area. Fuel prices might drive up costs this year. Book early!! *(like now for summer)

Goodluck. and tight lines.

If you find a charter 6 pack boat ask the charters if it would be cheaper for you to rent the whole boat or pay per person? It looks like you have 6 people.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have a lead on a friend of a friend who has a 40" boat that will do a trip at the price of gas and bait. If I can get on that boat that is what I will be doing. If I cannot do that then I was going to look for something at the sportsmans show. That is also the latest that I plan on booking.

My Dad is wanting to go halibut fishing with his three sons. He will be coming up from Montana with my 9 year old brother and my other little brother (34) from Arizona. So even if it could be that we could only take one 9 year old that would work too.

I have been on 14 halibut charters myself. My Dad has been on more than I have. All of them were out of Homer. Our favorite caption has retired and the last captain I went out with will be a last resort.

Default where they at?

Well I thought Guides would be all over this one. I hear you on wanting to avoid some charters. My last two were horrible. I can't even remember the names of the boats.

Best one I've done was on a boat called Liahona or something out of Homer. I used the charter clearinghouse with the bullseye on it. Does anyone know what that is called?

Your option with the 40 footer seems great if it happens!

Thumbs up seward

I have gone out with "summer time charters", they are out of seward. Great people and great charter. I take my daughter out with me all the time and they are very helpful to make sure that she hooks and try's to reel her own fish. Great memory's takeing the kids out. Iam a return customer with them for the 5th year now. If that means anything, They try to make sure that me always catch our limit " Biggest 120 and the smallest 40lbs " make for great days of fishing.
    Big Daddy

Thanks for the replies.

Please keep them coming.

I have had a couple great replies in PM also.

Smile Charter Guide

Give Hans Bilben a call at 907-226-2254 He runs Catch Alaska out of Anchor Point and is an excellant guide. You won't be sorry if you fish with him. Good luck.

Default Charter

PM Sent....

you could check out Bobs trophy charters,
    out of homer,, seems like there were a couple kids a bout 10 years old when i went out with him.. i think it is a 52 footer and he takes out 14 people..
    great boat,, great crew,,and a friendly capt..and if your name is bob he will give you five bucks.
    we used him as a last minute deal one time when the capt. we had originally booked with
    was so **** drunk he couldn't even find his boat..
    GOOD LUCK!!

"Best one I've done was on a boat called Liahona or something out of Homer. I used the charter clearinghouse with the bullseye on it. Does anyone know what that is called? "

Try bullseye charters or Homer ocean charters
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Check out Inlet charters across alaska adventures in Homer. boats 6pks and a larger boat for groups. childs rates also. 800-770-6126

The charter with the bulls eye would be Central Charters, they have a good six pack called the Grand Aleutian.(liahona sold to a private).Also check out North Country Charters.The`ve been around since 1979

I've used Mike Coates, owner of Alaska Excursion Adventures (Sorry Charlie Charters) in Homer since 2001, and can say they don't come any better. He runs a 42' Delta with twin Cummins diesels that's quiet and smooth, and can fish 12-14 comfortably. He also runs "long range charters" later in the season to the Shuyak Islands for only six people on that big boat - it's a great time and got me to fall in love with salt water fishing after I'd given up going out on "sick packs". I loved it enough to buy my own boat, which is another form of sickness . . .

Cheers,

SH

P.S. You can PM me and I can give you contact info on Mike, and maybe even some blackmail pictures! (Honest officer, I didn't notice she had four legs!)

Default Re chater

sent you a pm.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

If you go with Inlet Charters make sure the captain is willing to stay out for the day and not sit on a chicken hole for your limit. Sometimes I think, they think you are too inexpierenced to know what is going on. The thing is I read the forum.

Default Two Top Charters

Don't even think about it. Call Capt. Tony Arsenault of the "Falcon" see www.falconcharters.com
    and/or call Capt. Mike Swan or the "Beausoleil" see www.spiritcharters.com

I've fished with both of these guys numerous times. Sent friends and family members with them. Nobody works harder to get you quality fish.

Default Quality Whittier Charter

Matt Kopec in Whitier, a great Captain for taking young people.

http://www.fishwhittier.com

Default J&J Charters out of Ninilchik

I really recommend J&J charters out of Ninilchik, exceptional fishing, super friendly and helpful captians & crew, great boats, and MAN does he know where the fish are.

They can also process and vacuum seal your fish back at the campground for a nominal fee.

Also has his own campground and cabins. Basically a class act from start to finish.

I also like going out of Ninilchik because you're so close to the fishing, only spend something like 40 mins getting out to the fishing grounds.

http://www.smartcharters.com/

And no I'm not related to or work for him, I just was so impressed about his charters compared to the others I've been on.

I am interested in doing this as well. I like to on another question.

Is it worth it to book a combo salmon & halibut trip instead of just halibut?

Would this take the time away from catching your halibut limit?

Thi