Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of April too soon for Black bears in Southeast?

Default End of April too soon for Black bears in Southeast?

I might get a bunch of time off this April and would like to use the time to head up to Alaska. I won't know for sure for a couple of weeks, but I think I could do at least a week or a bit more in the end of the month.

Are the black bears out and about by late April in the south east, say Kenai Peninsula? If not, I'm open to recommendations as to what and where to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Are the black bears out and about by late April
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    in the south east, say Kenai Peninsula?
    No. But not for the reason you may think. Check a map.

late april seems about right. It kinda all depends on the weather.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

They'll definately be out by late April this year (Last year was our heaviest snowfall on record and I shot mine in April...) And we were starting to see quite a few mid april...

Any recommendations as far as where I am likely to see the most? Sounds like the Kenai is out.

You might want to take note of Brian's comment. If you are wanting to hunt SE, Kenai is in the wrong neck of the woods.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    No. But not for the reason you may think. Check a map.
    What he is implying is the Kenai area is in South Central Alaska.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Yeah, the Panhandle (as we sometimes call it) is usually referred to as the Southeast. So towns like Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Petersburg, etc. are all in Southeast Alaska. It tends to have the larger black bears and would have better hunting opportunities at the time of year you're thinking. The farther you head north the later the bears will be coming out of their den (in most cases anyways...). So the southeast would be a good bet for you in late April.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    What he is implying is the Kenai area is in South Central Alaska.
    Well, not so much implying, as just pointing out that fact. Yakutat is generally considered the northern most town of South East Alaska. That's a very long way from the Kenai Peninsula.

Default try farther south

Southern Southeast warms up earliest obviously so I'd try the Prince of Wales Island area. Here in Juneau we don't start hunting until May 1st or so and find bears all the way to June.

Good Luck

Default black bear

I have been guiding on P.O W. for six years and start around the twenty fifth of April don't see many bears that early but all are shooters.This year the winter has been normal so not much snow and spring looks like it will be early. Last years winter made April bear hunting in southeast tough. Good luck
    Jim

Mark

They're out, but May may be better.

I went to POW in late April and we saw bears. All boars, too. But the locals told me that I'd have seen more in early to mid May.

Default Early spring ????

I don't know if it will be an early spring or not ... It depends on the upcoming weather.

The high winds and heavy rains of the last week or so has melted low elevation snow but it just laid more snow on the higher areas.

From about 400 to 600 feet elevation there is some serious snow. At least as much as last year if not more. Especially on the north sides.

Most Bear den higher up. And there ain't no early spring there yet.

Over many years the first tagged Bear on POW is about April 20th average. While there are earlier Bear out there just isn't much hunting before then and you need to know how to hunt them.

Isn't it spring right now?

We have ... *****willows and a few bulbs starting to show .... does that make it spring?

Haven't seen any bird herds heading north yet ... but that could be any day !!!!!!!!!

Default Johnnie

I've had ***** willows budding out in my yard since January amidst all of the snow.--real early spring!

Default "the bears are out"

My daughter works at A&P and either one of her co-workers or some customer said "the Bears are out" .... they must have seen a Bear last week .....

Well I have seen Bear or Bear sign every month of the year (over many years of observation) on Prince of Wales Island.

Some times a young Boar will emerge to early, I think maybe they are getting the mating urge or maybe just don't have the program down yet. Seems like they appear for a few days and go back to the same den or just curl up in a surface nest and snooze some more.

Probably don't take em long to figure *** am I doing up !!!!!

Sorry, I meant south central. Sounds sort of mixed as to whether I am better going there or Juneau area.

Juneau area can be good - But you'd probably be better off farther south...POW most likely...

Heh... I glassed 2 great looking boars at Pt. Bishop today. No shot though... I don't like beaching the boat, and really don't have any business taking game if I'm out solo... did land a fat King, but that's a story for a different forum.

April is looking good this year...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast