Thread: Knik Public Use Area Plan out for comments

Default Knik Public Use Area Plan out for comments

Knik Public Use Area Plan

Pulled this over from the ATV forum.

All you fellas running in the Jim Creek Swamps better read this thing and submit comments.

check out Map 3-2 which shows some water body restrictions on Jim Lake and Jim Creek. I have no issues with a 5hp motor size restriction on Jim lake, but I do have an issue with a 5 MPH speed restriction on the creek between Jim Lake and the confluence of the main stream coming out of Swan Lake. My comment on this will be seasonal restriction an not all year.

Ray if I understood it you will be allowed to have more than a 5ph motor were you and I hunt but you can only go 5mph. That stupid. Jim lake that the lake on the end of the road past mud lake. Chris

Horse power limit just on Jim Lake at the end of the road.

The speed restriction is proposed from the portage at Jim Lake down to where you turn left to go to Swan/Leaf. About half of this distance is pretty narrow and I have had an issue or two with boats coming towards me as I am going up or down stream, but only during the salmon fishing time. I have ran up on canoes there before in the afternoons or during August.

During the O'Dark Thirty of duck season there are few issues except for us slower boats getting ran up on.

With this hole package will come better enforcement in theory. This means that those hunters in their boats with no nav lights or required safety gear will be ticketed if inspected. More hunting for me I guess. I better check my lights this summer and get new flares.

I remember at least three times I have nearly ran over someone going slow in Mud Lake with no lights on at 5am. Fools.

Default Restrictions are on ther way!

I am all for a horsepower limit on Jim creek sept - DEC
    don't think the 5 mph thing well work
    Its a bad deal that law enforcement has to waste time checking boats for
    speed and gear. Most of use have notice in the last 25 years Jim creek can be a zoo. I have stop hunting there sept and stay up north. Hey does that mean theirs no more shooting from a powered boat?

Ive been hunting Jim Creek for over 22 years I dont think we need a horse power limit I run a 32 prodrive. What we need is people who arent dumb ass's and show respect for other people on the creek . When I come up on someone I come off step and slow down so Im not creating a waken I go by them very slow. Get ahead of them and then go about why way.

The only times the Jim Creek swamps are a zoo are opening day and the weekend after all the big game seasons have closed later in September. Most any other time there are not enough people to get the birds up and keep them moving after 10am. The real zoo are the Hayflats these days. Lots more birds, but then lots more people in a more concentrated area.

Shooting from a boat under power is a violation of federal law unless you are shooting a cripple, and yes there are those folks out there that run a long tail around in the grass with two guys in the bow jump shooting ducks. The motor man kills the motor and slams the prop down into the muck to stop the boat, but most of the time the boat is still moving when the nimrods in the bow shoot. They may have their toes on the line of compliance with not shooting from a boat under power, but they are in violation of the law about not driving birds in order to shoot them. This occurs at Duck Lake on the Hay Flats, too. Might even be the same people. I told a Trooper about it 4 years ago on the way out on Maud Road, but with out the boat number he couldn't do anything. I did not see this guy the last two seasons, but I stopped hunting in Gull Lake where he spent most his time. So maybe he is still out there.

Default We are under attack by Butte Extremist

I talked to some folks that went to the public meeting last friday (3/28) at Wendler.

It turns out that there is an organization that wants to effetively shut down motorized boats and hunting at the Swan Lake swamps: BARCO - Butte Area Residents Civic Organization.

When you read their comments on the plan it only sounds bad due to the 3hp motor restriction on the whole area.

However, they want to protect the swans, too. Their suggestions for protecting the swans would shut down the hunting in the area by not allowing "legal" hunting until the swans leave. Since swans stay in the area until they are frozen out that means no hunting EVER again.

So get on those links up above and submit your comments to stop the crazy people. I will admit that it is their back yard, but due to the laws of this state it is everyones backyard and we have equal footing to access and use it.

Every hunter needs to get off there butts and post because I for one am tire of being punish because Im a duck hunter/boat owner. And if it can happen at Jim Creek they wont stop there. The hay flatts will be next.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Every hunter needs to get off there butts and post because I for one am tire of being punish because Im a duck hunter/boat owner. And if it can happen at Jim Creek they wont stop there. The hay flatts will be next.
    I guess you haven't been to the Cottonwood creek access (off hayfield rd) lately. Sorry It's already started on the hay flats too.

Default Contrary to any rumors you heard

DNR is accepting Comments on the Draft Plan. I don't know where it came from but I had three people at the Sportsman's Show tell me they heard the plan was shelved and DNR was not accepting comments. - NOT TRUE!
    I verified with DNR today that this is just a rumor and they are eagerly accepting comments! If you have heard anything different from anyone PM me!
    Send in your comments and tell your friends how to comment too!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Commented on the PUA plan

Commented. You guys better put in your two cents worth too...apparently some folks would like to see ATVs, snowmachines, powerboats, etc go completely away. There is a lot of restrictions in this plan, if we don't sound off against them, we will only have ourselves to blame.