Thread: Critter Gitter

Default Critter Gitter

How many of you have used this for hunting/camping? thinking of getting this instead of the bear fence. Just want to see the pro/cons.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I bought one at the recommendation of the bio here in Kodiak. He has a few of them, and he told me different stories about how he's used them to deter bears from dumpsters and other places around the city and borough. Some of his experiences were quite dramatic in the way that he could see the immediate reaction of the bear as shown by the tracks he left behind. In one case he said it was quite humorous how a bear was sitting up on a knoll looking down at a dumpster that he wanted to raid, but the critter gitter had turned him away a few times. The bio said the bear looked like a frustrated teenager about ready to throw a temper tantrum.

That was good enough for me. The bio deals with more bears than I ever will.

I've taken the thing on a couple pack in hunts, but I've been lucky (or unlucky for reporting its effectiveness to you) enough that the bears didn't try coming into camp. The thing is way lighter than any fence setup, and if you need 360 degree protection, I figure buying two would do it....and it would still be lighter.

Funny thing is the device is a great security tool for various home uses. I even used it last year when my then rebelous teenage daughter had snuck out of the house a couple times. Scared the crap out of her the next time, and there wasn't any more lying about what she'd tried to do! Random placement improved its effectiveness.

Got any dog problems or deer getting into your garden or anything else including animals? Try this.....but know ahead of time that your neighbors won't like you much if you use it outside too much.

The only thing that would make it better is if it was water proof. It comes with a plastic bag to put it in, and I take an extra ziploc along just in case. I use one of the thinner bags though because I don't want the thicker plastic to affect it's effectiveness.

Default more info please

what the heck is it? How is so effective and yet be so light weight? Never heard of that name before.

Default ?

Yeah what is this thing? How much does it cost? What does it do make noise?

Default Critter gitter...

Thought of using them myself. Not sold on the idea yet. Below is a link to a Canadian store that sells them, among other bear protection items, fences, trips wires, etc.. It may be cheaper if bought in the U.S. Just to let you know, UDAP sells bear fences that weigh 4 lbs! That is what I am looking into myself. You can find out more on their website. I will put a link to it beneath the critter gitter link.

http://www.margosupplies.com/american1/bear_dets.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page to see it)

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Funny thing is the device is a great security tool for various home uses. I even used it last year when my then rebelous teenage daughter had snuck out of the house a couple times. Scared the crap out of her the next time, and there wasn't any more lying about what she'd tried to do! Random placement improved its effectiveness.
    That's funny.
    It cost $49.99 @smarthome.com
    Thanks for the info..

It either this or the fence.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

with only a 90* range of detection it seems you would need several.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default critter gitter worth taking for meat

They're a motion detected alarm. When set off, emits a piercing sound for quite awhile and flashes 2 bright red lights off & on. Used it on Afognak, seemed to keep a brownie a ways off from our meat that was hanging in a tree. It keep it away from the tree but it stayed around as the alrm kepp going off for an hour or two. We had the meat hanging on our lake ~ 200 yards from camp & could here the critter gitter. For our camp we had an electric fence.

I've got one of those but have never used it, might have to give it a go this year. I also bought mine from smarthome.com.

My friend brought his in today. I will say this is one loud sucker. If I was to walk by it without knowing it was there I might poop my pants. the red lights were the last thing I was concered with
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Trash Cans

I set mine up to scare the neighbor's dog away from my trash cans...note to self...turn off unit before taking out the trash....jeez they work well!!!

Nothing on ebay so I ordered two today..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Each time it's triggered, the device varies the sequence of the chirps, warbles, and what ever else you want to call them. It's supposed to keep the animals from becoming aclimated to the same alarm sound. Frankly, since their hearing is so much more sensitive than mine, I can't imagine what this sounds like to them. It's shrill piercing sounds hurts my ears even on the low setting.

I agree, the light isn't as impressive, but it does add another element of surprise in the dark.

I think their detection may be more than 90 degrees. I know that's what the adds say, but it sure seems like it picks up my movement a lot farther back than just 90.

Default Critter Getter

I've used about 6 of these with varying results. Warranty does not cover the growlers eating them. The plastic bags reduce there effectiveness but I've had several ruined by our high winds/rain. Get a lot of false trips from alders blowing in the wind. Do not understand that because there is not a lot of heat in blowing alders. Sensitivity also varies with battery life. Battery life is not good in high usage areas. Have switched to the good high dollar NiMH recharable batteries vs a ton of the non rechargeable. When I first got them they were thirty some dollars but are now over $50. I consider them grossly overpriced but still the cheapest alternative to an electric fence which really smokes them but not to selective for small children and pets.

Talking they work,but..weather, theif and bite marks they don't live long..

i used them at my cabin...they work ..weather kills them.. u allmost 1/2 to use the little bag they come with... also worked well as bait as i had a bear one nite that did not like the sound.. but he could not stop look'in at the pertty - flashing red lights, so I sent for the Doctor 30/06, and that ended that...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default too FUNNY HK

HuntKodiak, you gave me both a good laugh and a good idea regarding "home protection". My daughter is 15 going on something else. To date, she is a dream come true for a dad. But I'll have to put this in my little bag of tricks.
    Bet when she was caught sneaking by a screaming alarm you did not even have to raise your voice to make the point.
    So was she tougher than a Chessie?

Myself, I think the "Critter Gitter" is a great little piece of mind. I bought 2 of them in Fairbanks at the safety store over by the Mitchell and Cushman. I think I paid $52.00 each for them. They have 2 use's for me, one to keep the bears and whatnot away from the cabin, and two after the bears are no longer a problem, it keeps the trick-and-treaters away.

Default Boat security

I just came up with a new use that I'll practice very soon.

I just bought a KingFisher 2525 that I'll moor in the local marina once I finish outfitting it. On top of locking the boat's cabin when I leave, the Critter Gitter will detect and scare the crap out of any two legged critter that tries to get in my boat after any of my gear! The cool thing about this contraption is that you can position and aim it in such a manner that also permits you to turn it off without triggering it, but un-suspecting folks will trigger the alarm. And talk about loud....imagine the sound waves bouncing around inside a boat's cabin!

I should probably post this on the Power Boat forum too as there may be fisherman that also hunt and might consider this idea useful.