Thread: Chignik Info

Question Chignik Info

Hello, am new to this forum, does anyone have any info on Chignik ...what type a facilities they have ...am doing a hunt there and will need to buy some small propane cylinders down there .... any info would be appreciated!

Capt. Mac

There are three different Chigniks (Chignik Bay, Chignik Lagoon, and Chignik Lake), which are you going to?

The biggest is Chignik Bay. As of 6-7 years ago, it had two cannery docks, an AC store, and a company store. Otherwise, not much. What are you looking for? The AC store would be the best bet for propane I would think.

Chignik isn't exactly a popular spot for non-locals to go hunting. You are looking for bear I assume?

Yellowknife.

Default Chignik Lagoon

Thanks Yellowknife, am flying into Chignik Lagoon, just need three or 4 small propane bottles for my 1 burner stove. Bear is the focus. Hopefully the locals wont shoot me am not a bad sort ...cant fly the Propane bottles with me and was hoping there was some place or somebody I could get them from there. Any data would be appreciated .... have a goodun!

Sorry, I didn't spend much time in the Lagoon. Not sure what they have for a store. It's a pretty small place though, so if you can dig up a phone number, they should help you out.

You might consider a gas or kerosene stove. You can always get that.

Yk

I went to Chignik two years ago and spent a week with neighbors of mine. The wife grew up in Chignik and her whole family are salmon fishermen. We took the ferry to and from Chignik, a day and a half each way. What a neat place! I really enjoyed the trip.

I will ask her about your dilema, and she what she recommends, but I like Yellowknife's idea of a liquid fuel stove. Might be easier, since you could just take your fuel with you on the plane.

Default Liquid Gas

Unforunately, my one stove is propane and never have had much luck with liquid stoves (maybe the new ones are better) .... think I can get the propane bottles flown, think for about $50.00 was just hoping there was a small trading place there that would have some..... thx!