Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Guns(What manufacturers should make)

Default Alaska Guns(What manufacturers should make)

I have been thinking about those special savage Alaskan specials in 375h+H.

I have two 375s so I don't need one of those.

However,

Wouldn't it be cool if.....
    1) Remington made a 750 pump in 9.3X62

2) Weatherby Made heavier Vanguards in 458win, and 416 Taylor or Hoffman.

3) Hornady made 348 win with revolution bullets(loaded up for moose)

4) Browning made 71s again.

5) Somebody took up 270 STW, 7STW and 8 Rem mag in good guns.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas,
    I think it would be pretty cool if Winchester Repeating Arms started manufacturing their Model 71 again in 348 Winchester. Have you seen the prices lately for older models, prices are skyrocketing.

I still want a lightweight, take down break action over-under with a .22lr barrel over either a .45-70 or .450 Marlin barrel. Make it all fit in a case that will velcro to the back of an airplane seat, so you can grab it on the way out.

Default Not picky on caliber...but

They certainly need to make more 20 to 22 inch barrels...quality metal protection, simple, field strippable actions, OPEN SIGHTS, light weight, and they had might as well come with quick release rings....and personally I could stand some more left handed actions, but I guess that has nothing to do with Alaska.

Stainless 24 inch ruger Alaskan 375 ruger with a laminate stock.

338 RCM in the regular hawkeye at regular hawheye prices.

All popular bolt action should be chambered in 9.3x62 at 30-06 prices.

The problem with getting some neat out of the ordinary item is the price is usually jacked way up.

---

I have been thinking about the remington sps 375 H-H though even though it will be a couple hundred more than a regular SPS. It will still be a couple hundred less than the 375 ruger.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Win 70 Extreme Weather SS 375 Ruger

Winchester Model 70, Extreme Weather SS 375 Ruger

Now wouldn't this combination be the "Grizzly Bear's growl". What ya'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post

I'd like to see Winchester come out with something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post

That is exactly the rifle I am hoping Winchester will come out with! A .375 H&H would be a great option too should they not want to mess with the .375 Ruger caliber. I just hope they would give it a 24" barrel and rifle sights.

I would like to see an EDM'd stainless Mauser 98. Not some crappy "upgrade" or phoney "improvement" (as there is nothing to improve), just an extremely precision made m98 that would handle a cartridge like the finest benchrest actions...but still be an m98.

Kewl...

Now if I only had a million bucks to buy a a few state-of-the-art machines and the journeyman machinists to go with them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Something good.............

A rifle has to be reliable. For some that means it has to be the most accurate mass produced rifle available. Although that is a great feature it is not the most important one in a reliable rifle. To me reliable means several things. The rifle must function as intended every time the action is cycled. The bolt should be able to be field stripped with out tools. The trigger mechanism has to be robust, simple and adjustable to a crisp 3 to 4 lb. break No enclosed trigger housings to trap crud and hide problems. The rifle should have a set of good quality iron sights on it. The stock should be sturdy and provide a stable platform for the barreled action. I do not want a detachable magazine, plastic or pot metal on my rifle. Synthetic, laminated and good walnut can meet this need. It does not matter if the rifle is stainless, coated with a high tech finish or a beautiful rust blue. Just take care of it. Push feeds and controlled round feeds are both reliable as long as the riflemen operates them correctly. I prefer the controlled round feeds because I grew up with them. I also think that mass produced rifles as a whole are not nearly as good as they were prior to about 1960. I wonder how many of the rifles produced today will be sought after 50 years from now.

I know it is but a dream.....a nice WIN. 71 would be a very fine rifle indeed! reminds me of the offer my sister gave me some yrs. back. Tim she said, I'll buy you a pistol or a rifle, think about it she says and let me know. At the time I did not know how exactly to tell her it is alright so I said okay. Half a yr. or so back I mentioned to her about a Win. Model 71 and her husband was there as well and we were discussing the .450 Alaskan and too the attributes of the original chambering plus the demand it brings this day and age. Subtle hint. Well ......to this day no model 71 haha

oh well, shouldn't offer if they knew what is in store I am no cheapskate!ha

Owning one of the very first 71's converted to 450, I know exactly where you're coming from grizz106! It'll push a 400 grain bullet close to 300 fps faster than what anyone claims for overstuffed 45-70's. Owning that is the big reason I've never been one to push the pressure limits on Marlins, no matter which authority claims what for the old caliber. I'm perfectly happy with the 45-70 using moderate loads because I've got the 450, as well as a couple of 458's. No need for pushing the limits on a Marlin. If an when someone brings out another run of the 71's, a 450 would likely be a great seller.

And speaking of Marlins, I'm perfectly amazed that Marlin hasn't brought out the 1895 in old calibers based on the 45-70 parent case. The 38-56 and the 50-70 come immediately to mind. Heck I'd be happy to see some limited runs or special editions, rather than having to rebarrel them myself. As much fun as folks are having with 45-70's, you'd think it would be a natural.

Bravo! Brown Bear, very well said!

There is a good writeup on the .450 Alaskan in Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges Chapter 49 page 287.

Brown Bear appreciate the fact that you speak from experience about the Model 71 and the 450 Alaskan, sounds like a great combination.

Anyone ever consider writing a letter or calling Winchester Repeating Arms and making their wishes known?

Good idea! Same for Marlin and alternate calibers in the 1895.

Don't get me going on the 450. It's way more fun to shoot than it should be. With top end loads it's a little hard to keep your front foot on the ground, but due to superb stocking it doesn't hurt.

At a club openhouse they put a pig silhouette swinger made of half inch steel at 100 yards. Lots of folks shot 30-06, 270 and such. Pling! It would swing a little and when we went up to repaint it each time, there'd be all this little dimples in it. The club prez wanted to see what the 450 would do. I popped off a round and the pig swung back so far it lifted the stakes out of the ground and landed back quite a ways. Wowwwww, everyone said. We went up to set it up again, and the 450 had cut a crater about as big as a half dollar and all the way through except for a very thin layer of steel about like tinfoil. A guy whacked it with his 45-70 and hot 300 grain loads and it swung some but stayed upright, and left a crater about 1/8" deep.

More stories by others who have shot it, but I'll leave it up to them to tell their own stories.

BrownBear,

What velocity are you shooting your 400 grainers in your 450 at?

I'm on the road rather than at home right now, so no access to my log books for exact figures. Best I recall the load I settled on pushes them right at 2250. In load development I pushed them higher without excess pressure signs, but backed off out of respect for the old rifle. If I want to push things higher than that, I grab one of my 458's.

That is scooting along.
    My 45-70 got 2000 fps with a 400 grain bullet with my starting load.

Since that was the velocity I wanted I did not load higher.

It was a marlin cowboy with the 26" barrel.

I would like to see what the 32 inch NEF will do. I like to let the barrel do all the work rather that see how much powder I can cram in the case.

I agree. Like I said, I'll have to verify #'s once I get back home. That velocity is coming in a 20" barrel on the 450, BTW.

Default Ak guns

Model 71's in .450 Alaskan . More 86's on the market with a few .50-110's . .50 Marlins . 10 gauge 870's . All bolts in .358 Norma . 5-shot Super Blackhawks in .454 . Remington 7600 in 400 Whelen .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast