Thread: Replacement Rifle Stock

Default Replacement Rifle Stock

I need a new stock for my Winchester Model 70 Ranger 30.06. I'm lookin' at a Ram-Line Syn-Tech synthetic stock. How well do replacement stocks fit? Will it fit and bolt in correctly? Does anyone know of another website/resource to obtain a stock for comparison purposes.

Thanks,
    Tim

Midway has quite a few stocks from different vendors.

http://midwayusa.com

Dean

I put my 30-06 ranger into an h-s precision stock and it fits great. The stock is worth more than the rifle.

The barrel channel is a little big as my ranger has a featherweight contour barrel.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The barrel channel is a little big as my ranger has a featherweight contour barrel.
    How much bigger? A full-length bedding job might help.

The stock was bedded for a sporter weight barrel. I got this stock off a 300 ultra classic sporter which it did not fit very well. Then I put it on a 300 ultra stainless which just required a little gunsmithing to fit ok.
    When I put it on the 30-06 it fit nicely except for the barrel channel which leaves the barrel free floated the entire length.

I will start target shooting with it soon as I have a few loads already worked up for velocity and chronographed.
    If it doesn't shoot well I will bed the chamber area,followed by forearm pressure.

I tried midwayuse...they have a lot of options but I can't find one specific to my gun. Brownells has the Ram-Line and I'm thinking I want to go with something that will fit without having to smith it. I'm going to head to Boondocks in Eagle River and see what they recommend, that's where I bought the rifle 15 years ago.

Tim

Boondocks is always fun anyways.

I called Boondocks and they said they have a Hogue stock that should fit without mods for $129 (it was about $121 for the Ram-Line shipped) so it looks like I can find and fit a stock locally for a reasonable price. I'm going to check it out after work today.

Any comments about Hogue stocks? I realize you get what you pay for. As long as it doesn't feel/sound chinsy like that on the Remington 710 (no offense).

Tim

Tim, take a look at the Bell and Carlson stocks, I had one a while ago but sold it for a different stock. I have a friend who had a Hogue on his 375 model 70, that things was a beast of a stock and heavy. I found a factory synthetic stock on the 24 Hourcampfire website in their classifieds section, they always seem to have stocks for sale.

I like Hogue overmold stocks. I have two both have held up well over the last several years.

I think with the hogue stock that people either love 'em or hate 'em. Have to try one and see for yourself.