Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blazer vain color?

Default Blazer vain color?

I was thinking of having Sportsmans warehouse make me up a dozen arrows since they haven't had any in months. I shoot carbon express maxima hunter 350's but want to know what color blazer vains should i go with neon green and orange? I'm looking for the easyest color to make out during flight. I was wanting to by them from sportsmans cause i have $350 in gift cards from christmas thank for your opinion

Go with your favorite color.

In the past I used flo orange. Orange stood out when I shot it. The arrow was very easy to find once I shot it.
    But I switched to white after adding a wrap to my arrow. Wanted to the vane to match my wrap.

If your looking a a vane that will stand out find the brightest flo color. Usally it's either a orange or a green. Not they made glo in the dark ones. Well they are good at night during the day they will not help you out much.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Both

I had the exact same dillema a while back (same colors and all). I used both, two and one. Not sure how good they look as my wife has to match my clothes for me but they are easy enough to find (in my neighbor's yard).

Being me I also switched all my vanes to one color....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would do flo orange and white. Two orange and a white cock or vise versa. I would also use a wrap. A white wrap make it look like a lazer beam plus you can see what type of hit you make because the blood with show up really well on the white.

The Flo orange or flo green really distort the blood color. It can make lung blood look like arterial blood really easy.

just my honest opinion. Good luck in your adventures. You may also consider doing it your self. its very easy and rewarding.

Default White

White for visibility, all of them. One year I even added a red and white wrap to the arrows.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Colors

I was told by a pro shop a few years ago that white is the easiest to see. And I have noticed that most of the professional hunters use a white wrap and or vanes. I am using a white wrap and white vanes with a flo green cock feather. My arrows are certainly visible. In low light the white almost glows. But this is what I use Arrows are a personal choice. It is where you can let your own personality show. Use whatever you like, get creative.

Good Luck
    Alaskan

I used all white in Africa nad I could see them no problem eve in low light.

Now my 2 cents is use all the same colors why? If you arrow fine tune your arrow with a BH, your odd color vane my not be set in the correct place. This way have all the same colors will not confuse you. My two cents.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Marker

I take a marker and hit the outside edge of the vane. That way you can tell where to knock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I take a marker and hit the outside edge of the vane. That way you can tell where to knock it.

I have done that to in the past.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Fletch your own

This problem is why I started fletching my own arrows. I am using an Arizona EZ fletcher which is real easy to use. Fletching arrows is pretty straight forward and not hard to do and if you tear a vane off practicing you can fix it. You aren't going to save a bunch of money by fletching your own. At least I haven't there are just to many fletching options out there to try. Vanes come in a bunch of different colors, ,Blazers, 4" vanes, wraps of all different patterns, Flu-Flu's, feathers. But it is fun to experiment with the different combinations. You can fletch a couple and shoot them and if you don't like them try something else.

Thanks guy for the advise, currently i am shooting my arrows with 2 neon green and one white because I use a whisker biscuit and it's easy to just put the white straight up. my problem is it's hard to see in flight, so i think i might just have to try 2 neon orange and 1 white this time and see how it goes thanks. And as for fletching myself well.... i could screw up a marshmellow no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Thanks guy for the advise, currently i am shooting my arrows with 2 neon green and one white because I use a whisker biscuit and it's easy to just put the white straight up. my problem is it's hard to see in flight, so i think i might just have to try 2 neon orange and 1 white this time and see how it goes thanks. And as for fletching myself well.... i could screw up a marshmellow no thanks
    As stated above, put a neon green or some other bright colored arrow wrap on there and I bet you will be able to see them better. I use bright yellow wraps and bright yellow fletching and have no problem seeing them in flight.

Default Lighted knocks

What about lighted knocks. From the TV shows they really light up.

I would suggest the wrap. Its what makes the arrow so easy to see. Be careful with the lighted knocks as they violate the regs in some places.

If you have different color vanes. Take them out into the woods and lay them on the ground. Walk around them close and far away. Against the ground you should be able to see which ones will stick out. I did this and noticed that the flo orange stood out for me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good advice. I have noticed Blue sticks out real well too.

my main concern is to be able to see the arrow to the target or animal to make sure it's a clean hit not worried too much about finding an arrow unless hunting and checking for blood color on it

I don't know how long you bow hunted for. You want to watch the arrow hit the animal? From experience when I have shot animals I really never saw where the arrow hit. I'm foucus on the pin and the spot where I want the arrow to go. This helps to keep the perect fourm.

People that like to do this tend to developed bad habits. People (not saying you) who like to watch the arrow hit don't realize what they are doing. As soon as they hit the trigger they move the bow out of the way to watch the arrow. But they dont' realize in moving the bow this can throw your arrow off target.
    Please understand again I'm just pointing out what I know and what I see from experince.

For me reason I like the bright color vanes is to find my arrow. This will tell me if it was a good shot or not.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 100%

Agreed 100%, don't watch, follow through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast