Thread: Silvers in Whittier Boat Harbor

Default Silvers in Whittier Boat Harbor

Probably still too early, but wondered whether there were any opportunities for bankies to catch silvers in Whittier.

On average, when does the shore fishery peak in that area? Thanks.

Default whittier silvers

From my experience the last two years they peak around the end of september thru the first week of october.

Default Whittier silvers

That fishery is a wonderfully late one. When everything else is done in Southcentral, Whittier starts to happen. I start fishing there the second week of September. To check on the arrival of the silvers, give the harbormaster a call and ask him if they're in the harbor yet.

Cliffhanger

I was out yesterday. There not there yet. Still by pigot point.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default No Silvers, bright pinks

My family was there today-one bright pink from shore was caught. The pinks will start coming in for the next couple weeks then Silvers will heat up around mid September.

caught my limit of 12 at culross passage entrance in about an hour and a half, it was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    caught my limit of 12 at culross passage entrance in about an hour and a half, it was hot.
    Which end of the pass were you at? I was at the passage canal side. Caught Hooked two kings there and landed one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It was the passage cannal side also. I don't really know where to fish for salmon in PWS, so i just stopped there. We knew the right depth to begin, and we were the only boat catching anything in that area. I saw a few nets fly, but not nearly as often as we were. Maybe we were just lucky. After the 3rd or 4th fish, we had silvers following the hooked fish to the surface and up to the boat.