Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish records in AK

Default Fish records in AK

Looking at the state records for fish here in AK I have some questions that Im sure some of you could shed some light on.

1st - I cant remember if it was Sportmans or Mountain view sports in Anc. I think it's Mountain view - there is a mounted Grayling on the wall that looks in the 7lbs range. Isn't the state record 4lbs 13 ounces? Was that thing caught in Canada or something? I didn't think they could reach that size.

2nd - I would think there are larger Pike in this state than 38 lbs. I have heard of people catching bigger ones. Has noone turned in there larger catches or are these just stories?

3rd - A guy I worked with earlier this year in Juneau went out with a buddy, and caught a fairly large Halibut. It looked to me like a 200 - 250lbs Halibut but it was marked as 440lbs. Thats not to far off the state record. You could clearly see the scale as well showing it around 440lbs. Was this guy pulling everyones leg? I think he was. I also noticed in the pic that there was a rope tied to the fishes tail at the bottom of the picture. It looked as if it could be pulling down making it look to weigh more on the scale on the picture. Wouldn't that have got some kind of publicity? The pic, and the pounds just dont match up. I told him he was full of it but he swears it weighed that much.

4th - Silvers - I swear Ive heard of 28lbs to 30lbs silvers caught. The state record is 26lbs. More fish tales?

5th - Id say Ive put an equal amount of hundreds of hours into Lake trout fishing, and Pike fishing however I have never caught a Laker over 11 lbs with the minimum weight for a trophy fish being 20lbs but I have caught countles pike in the 15lbs to 18lbs range as have alot of the people I fish with - minimum record being 15lbs. Why the discrepency between minimum trophy size, and chances of catching minimum trophy size between the two species?

Last but not least - No records yet for Brook trout, and King Salmon (rest of AK)?

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post

Last but not least - No records yet for Brook trout, and King Salmon (rest of AK)?
    Record king salmon (rest of state) as in non-Kenai, non-Cook Inlet was set way back before it was dethroned by Les Anderson.

It was a giant 93# beast caught in Kelp Bay by Howard Rider back in 1977! Most likely a Skeena-bound fish.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

How could Les Andersons fish dethrone the non-kenai fish. His was caught in the Kenai, was it not?

State Record Statistics
    Species/ Minimum Weight/ Required Pounds/ Ounces/ Year Location Angler Name

Arctic char/Dolly Varden 10 lb. (27/6) 2002 Wulik River Mike Curtiss
    Brook Trout 3 lb. ( --- --- )new species 1995 no record
    Burbot 8 lb. (24/12) 1976 Lake Louise George R. Howard
    King salmon-Kenai R. 75 lb. (97/4) 1985 Kenai River Lester Anderson
    King salmon-rest of AK. 50 lb. (--- --- --- ---)
    Chum Salmon 15 lb. 32/0 1985 Caamano Point Fredrick Thynes
    Coho salmon 20 lb. 26/0 1976 Icy Strait Andrew Robbins
    Cutthroat trout 3 lb. 8/6 1977 Wilson Lake Robert Denison
    Grayling 3 lb. 4/13 1981 Ugashik Narrows Paul F. Kanitz
    Halibut 250 lb. 459/0 1996 Unalaska Bay Jack Tragis
    Lake trout 20 lb. 47/0 1970 Clarence Lake Daniel Thorsness
    Lingcod 55 lb. 81/6 2002 Monty Island Charles Curny
    Northern pike 15 lb. 38/8 1991 Innoko River Jack Wagner
    Pink salmon 8 lb. 12/9 1974 Moose River Steven A. Lee
    Rainbow/steelhead trout 15 lb. 42/3 1970 Bell Island David White
    Rockfish 18 lb. 38/11 2001 Prince William Sound Rosemary Roberts
    Sheefish 30 lb. 53/0 1986 Pah River Lawrence E. Hudnall
    Sockeye salmon 12 lb. 16/0 1974 Kenai River Chuck Leach
    Whitefish 4 lb. 9/0 1989 Tozitna River Al Mathews

I do see here that the king salmon rest of state remains empty.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

well I'll be. Looks like I caught a trophy silver last year. It weighed in right at 20 lbs. Didn't think to check if it would qualify as a trophy class fish. Doesn't matter much since any fish in my freezer is considered a trophy any way. By the way, it sure smoked up nice.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

World Record Grayling is 5 pounds 15 ounces caught in the Katsayde River Great Bear Lake North West Territories.

I believe the mountain view grayling is fake.

It is either a dolled up whitefish or was made from scratch.

Was told this awhile back when I just had to know if it was real.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I believe the mountain view grayling is fake.

It is either a dolled up whitfish or was made from scratch.
    Ahh like the elusive fur bearing trout or jackalope!!!

Except the grayling makes some people wonder if it is really real. Like I did.

Default kings, rest of state

I dont' know as "rest of state" actually has a record slot, or just a minimum trophy weight to receive a state certificate.

As to pike, there's a couple things going on there. Number one, BS does run rather deep in fishing lore. You wouldn't believe the fish stories I've heard. A great example is a rainbow that got hooked and released at the mouth of Willow one spring. We heard about half a dozen different accounts of this huge rainbow that had been caught, and it grew from 22" at the low end to 32" at the high end. We finally heard from the guy that caught it: "Nice fish; around 24." To the uninitiated, the angler who's never seen a 20" rainbow, let alone a 30", that 24" fish was gargantuan. Same thing goes for pike. If you've never been around big pike, 40" looks like a freak- absolutely huge. 50" is really tough to break, though it does happen. Sort of like a 36" rainbow. The 38# pike was in the neighborhood of 52 inches long- now thats enormous.

The other thing about pike is location. 38# probably has been beaten. Problem is, most of the truly monster pike are along the Yukon or other very remote areas of the state, and the guys that catch them aren't going to lug them in somewhere to be weighed by a state certified scale with a certified weigh in official standing by. We weighed a fish that would have broken that about 10 years ago. It was frozen, had been caught 3 days earlier, then allowed to thaw, and the gunnysack seemed like it took 5 pounds of slime with it when the guy pulled the pike out of it. Even still, it was just a few ounces shy of the record. The guy didnt' care about the record though. He said "I know I have it, and thats good enough for me." Hook and release is also going to keep big fish from getting officially weighed... not necessarily a bad thing!

Lake trout- the record weight was put in place a long time ago. Abundance of old, heavy fish would have been much greater then than it is now. At least thats my best guess.

Default Thanks

Mnoutside - you should start your own thread regarding your question. Folks call it "Highjacking the thread" when you chime in completely off subject.

Everyone else - thank you for the input. What about the giant Halibut story out of Juneau? Never got a response on that one. Still wanna hear more on the others as well! The Pike/laker thing makes sense because Pike can grow to that size in short order, and once the big lakers get depleted it would take forever for them to regrow 20lbs fish since they grow 4 times as slow.

A 30# laker will be around 40 years old.

When I worked at a proccessor in Valdez we wieghed in silvers and chums that were 16# with no head or guts.

Is there a book of Alaska fishing records? Like the ABA, we put a book out several years ago of all Alaska animals that made book (P&Y). The book was done by Tony Russ.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by mnoutside View Post
    Anyone have any info on Halibut fishing. My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska for summer '08 and I would like to try some Halibut fishing. Also, when does salmon fishing on the rivers begin? We will be in the Palmer area visiting relatives.
    www.minnesotaoutside.net
    You can search the forums for halibut. It might be better to just look through the last few pages of the fishing forum. I have never got the search function to work as it always says my search word is too common.

Salmon fishing on the rivers typically starts good in May and goes through August. Your relatives in Palmer may have info on salmon fiahing or will know someone who does. I dont know anyone from Palmer that isnt an expert on salmon .

there was a guy on here claiming he broke the state record for burbot. he posted some pics of some big burbot, but it didn't look like they were record big. i called adfg and asked and they said they hadn't heard about it.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but I believe that a halibut that has been shot before coming into the boat is disqualified from being considered for a record.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    It hasn't been mentioned yet but I believe that a halibut that has been shot before coming into the boat is disqualified from being considered for a record.
    you are right for the world record. But for a state record I do belive they allow it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

King salmon-rest of AK. 50 lb. (--- --- --- ---)

I guess my 53'3 or my 69'8 could go in that spot if they don't want Howard's in there.

69'8 is a hog.

I have caught four kings between 50 and 55 pounds in Susitna streams.

Default rest of state

"rest of state" only applies to minimum weight for the trophy certificate. Previous state record was just over 93lbs out of Icy Strait in SE AK. Do to the large fish avl in the Kenai the minimum trophy weight was upped.

Default Lakers and Pike

While Lakers do indeed grow agonizingly slow...pike aren't exactly sprinters into the 40 inch range and often just do not attain anything into 50 because they die of old age. And whoever said they have caught countless pike in the 15 to 18 pound range...I'm guessin you are on the yukon or in minto flats area cuz pike like that while not exactly uncommon....you gotta have a hot spot to have too many to remember. (PM me with the location....please)

With both of these fish, it is often the case that some drainages just don't hold fish of record proportions no matter how old they are, it all depends on forage available, temps, productivity, genetics etc. WE have several drainages here in Dillingham area that are largely untouched and have gobs of lakers in certain lakes but anything over 20 pounds is legendary, while others (most I think of are in Canada) report multiple catches over 40 each year despite much more effort directed at them. Most lakers out here are between 18 and 26 inches long and don't often reach the fat hog proportions you see in the more legendary lakes....(insert shoulder shrug here). Pike can be much the same way, certain areas out here have multiple fish around in the 10 to 15 pound range and many of the others, a 10 pounder is the picture fish of the year...but even in a healthy population, the amount of those booner pike is much much smaller than the hammer handles that they like to munch on.

As far as the kings go, who knows on that one....Kenai fish are the most famous of the big run rivers but there are a few others that get the large ones, but others (the Nushagak for one) may have astoundingly large runs but to catch a LEGITIMATE 40 pounder is rare and to be celebrated, but you can pound 20 to 30's all season long. I got lucky enough to bag a 42 last year and it may well be a long time until I see another one like that again.

And yes, that grayling at sw is fake....you see a fair amount of those replicas in lodges out here but they sure make you look twice, cuz in a place as big as Alaska...who knows...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast