Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a hunter really need more than one 375?

Default Does a hunter really need more than one 375?

I have read various articles over the past couple of years that stated that the majority of hunters usually own and really only need just one 375 at any given time. So I wanted to find out from AOD members if this was really the case. Since the 375 Ruger was introduced and various other wildcat and custom 375s becoming more readily available the selection has broadened. Are hunters/shooters buying a second or in some cases maybe even a third 375? If so, which would you consider is your go to 375 when it comes time to hunt? Thanks

I dont need a 375 at all and have talked myself out of getting one many times.

But there is nothing wrong with owning any number of rifles. At one time I had 3 mod70 300 ultra mags. And the powder flowed!

-
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Nukalpiaq,

What does "need" have to do with it? Truth be told unless your going to hunt Africa in some minimum caliber requirement jurisdictions, IMHO a 375 caliber isn't needed at all. Now, "want" is a different story. I've personally owned up to three different .375 H&H magnum rifles at the same time, have always kept at least one in the stable for the last 25 years. Currently find myself without a 375 of any flavor and am seriously considering going out and getting myself a new Ruger 375, just because I can and I "want" one.

On a side note, sure enjoy following your joint efforts with Murphy in the development of your new cartridge 358Nukalpiaq. Will be interested in how your new rifle turns out. I would like to build a rifle around the 35caliber 280gr Swift A-frame. Your cartridge seems to be just the ticket. By the time I finish playing with the 375Ruger, you will have your rifle sorted out and squared away maybe then I will rechamber to the 358Nukalpiaq (with your permission of course). TS out.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have two, one being a 375 H&H and the other a 375 Ruger. I don't need both, but it was a "want" thing.

Wink Need

You better not let rumors like that get out. You always NEED another gun whether it's a 375 or something else.

You'll never know when you NEED a rifle to loan to a friend, or when you NEED it because your other one has a broken widget or (you add a reason).

kingfisherktn

Well maybe the author of the article had the right idea after all, if his wife found out that he really did not need another 375 and it was just him wanting another one to add to the gunrack she may not have been as supportive of his purchase.
    I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic SS 375 H&H, I really don't need another 375, but I want the Ruger Alaskan 375 Stainless. My son needs his own 375.

There it is!

kingfisherktn

Default Trend

Actually I was wanting to find out if there was any hint of a trend occuring with hunters selling off their 375 H&Hs and replacing them with the Ruger 375 or other variants as their go to rifle. What ya'all think? What if it turned out that the new Winchester Model 70 was chambered in the new Ruger 375 cartridge, now wouldn't that be a hoot. Something to ponder.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    What if it turned out that the new Winchester Model 70 was chambered in the new Ruger 375 cartridge, now wouldn't that be a hoot. Something to ponder.

If that happened I think I would "NEED ANOTHER 375".

Why would you get rid of the garnddaddy that everyone compares other calibers to? I have two .375s, a .375 H&H and a .375H&H.

Personally I don't need any 375 as I own one trusty 338Win Mag, it's my go too. Plus I've never really been as 375 fan. Would rather a 9.3x62.

Actually I was wanting to find out if there was any hint of a trend occuring with hunters selling off their 375 H&Hs and replacing them with the Ruger 375 or other variants as their go to rifle. What ya'all think? What if it turned out that the new Winchester Model 70 was chambered in the new Ruger 375 cartridge, now wouldn't that be a hoot. Something to ponder.
    Nuk!

I have a Ruger #1 375 H&H before I bought my Ruger 375 and haven't considered letting it go.

kingfisherktn

I just sold a 700 375 so I'm down to 3......two more going to the gun show soon.....pre64-70 Super Grade and a new CZ Safari.....the big rifles are bothering old neck injuries.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

The main driver, or criterion that I use in selecting caliber and new fire arms is based on a highly scientific formula presented in the form of a computerized matrix…………OK, so that’s a load of crap……. The “real” way I pick a new gun and caliber is based on the quantity of bore brushes and cleaning patches still on hand in my cleaning case……… and for some reason I had bunches of them in 375 diameter, so naturally I had to buy another 375 at the gun show…………..OK, that’s also a bunch of crap, but I did by another 375 at the gun show, albeit it was a 375 Winchester. That brings my 375 collection to 3. One 375H&H, and two lever guns in 375 Winchester.

When talking about the “new” 375’s, I have never personally deemed any of them as being vastly superior to the 375H&H to an extent that would warrant a change. I guess if someone came out with a new 375 that fit in a Remington model 7 and had the velocity of a 378 Weatherby with the recoil of a 308, I might be interested……………………and then have it delivered to my house on a pink elephant or by a flying pig I guess.

I really got no complaints about the H&H round, I already have dies, brass, bullets, etc……………I suppose you could make the argument that the newer 375 are more efficient or what ever but I will just keep on keeping on with what I got for now. And so far as the 375 Winchester goes…………now that one, in my opinion is rather underrated. The poor *******, step child of the 375 world. Obviously its not in the same class as the H&H or Ruger………….heck, it aint even in the same school, but it can bark out a 265 grain cast bullet at 2000 fps, and although I have not done so myself, I would imagine that load would be more than adequate for most any critter in the state within 150 yards including brown bears. With a bit of luck, I will report back this spring to let you know how black bears like it………………..

As to the overall premise of your query……………I for one, would be the very last person to ever admonish someone for purchasing another firearm…………for any reason. Unless your trying to swim with them on your back, you just cant have to many guns!!!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

What if it turned out that the new Winchester Model 70 was chambered in the new Ruger 375 cartridge, now wouldn't that be a hoot. Something to ponder.
    Nukalpiaq,

Hopefully, Winchester does make this rifle as I am in the market for a .375. As of right now, I have a Ruger "Alaskan" in stainless at the top of the "want list". With the rebirth of the Winchester line however I've put my purchase on hold for a while to see if the M70 gets chambered in one of the .375's. My fingers are crossed! I really like my Winchester M70 "Classic Stainless" in 30.06 and would love one in .375 with rifled sights and a 24" barrel. The new Ruger Alaskan line is a very great handling rifle and appears to be a perfectly built rifle for the Alaska environment. That being the case, I may not be able to hold out to much longer. Heck, I may just have to buy one of each should things work out!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bear View Post
    Heck, I may just have to buy one of each should things work out!
    That's what I did.

I am just gonna have to buy a Ruger Alaskan 375 in the near future, and if it so happens that Winchester Repeating Arms comes out with a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 375 Ruger I will buy that one too. Never can have too many rifles.

2-375's gets it done for me. One S/S and one w/ nice wood. Its like having your cake and eating it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    2-375's gets it done for me. One S/S and one w/ nice wood. Its like having your cake and eating it too.

I think you just put me over the top. I've been eyeing a CZ 550 .375 for a few weeks now, even though I have a .375 Rem 700 BDL stainless. I think two is good!

Default DUH

Needing a second or third rifle is kind of a female sort of logic, ( I've got blue pillow cases do I really need blue sheets or white sheets to accent the blue pillow cases?).
    With guys it's " Murphy's got one, I want one too". So if Murphy's got one you now have a right to get one too; see how that works.
    As a MATTER OF FACT you could maybe get Murphy to build you a 375 or how about a 376 or a 378.
    If these pea shooters aren't powerful enough, have him build you a 404,411, 416,423,444,458,460,477,500,505,577,600,700, hope I didn't leave any out (might make someone mad if I left out their favorite caliber).
    In all seriousness having a spare rifle on a hunt is cheap insurance in case the one you're hunting with gets damaged and decomissioned. I wouldn't pack an extra into the mountains but most mountain hunts don't require a 375 or larger rifle. So, if you feel the animal you're hunting requires a 375 or larger rifle, why would you want your backup to be anything smaller ?

Just funnin' MURPHY !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast