Thread: .300 Wm Vs. .300 Wsm

Default .300 Wm Vs. .300 Wsm

All,

I need pros and cons on both calibers and an overall opinion on which to purchase?

Gusto

Default My opinion based on others opinions

I asked a similar question on here a little while ago because I'm going to be buying a new sheep gun this spring here. I wanted a Tikka basically cause they shoot great outta the box and are 6.6 oz. which is nice and they are only cost like 60% of what a Kimber or something like that may cost.

After talking to people on here and seeing that the Tikka T3 Lite doesn't really offer any advantage in weight due to the reciever being the same length regardless of if its the WSM or the WM I'm going with the WM. I chose that because mainly because ammo is much more common.

However, if you are going to buy a rifle that offers the smaller package if you get the WSM I think I'd opt for the 300 WSM to save a few oz. and the shorter action would be nice as well. But just can't justify the couple oz for another 400 bills. But if I had all the money in the world than yeah I'd probably get the Kimber 300 WSM. However, I think I'll be more than happy with my Tikka.

I have a sako finlight in 300 wsm and love it but I agree with everything that Alaska_Lanche said except for the kimber part I would go with the sako (moa guaranty, 4 rounds in the box, and very smooth action). If it is not for the weight savings I would go WM. One other advantage I can give the wsm is if A guy is hand loading you can save a little powder for the same velocitys in the wsm. They are both great rounds and are here to stay.

I bought a 300 WSM for the wife and she loves it. It is a M70 ultimate shadow camo.

I have owned a couple 300 win mags. One ruger, one winchester.

This 300 wsm will only hold two in the magazine.

I cannot get within 100fps of the 300 win mag with several loads that I have tried.

I dont like contributing to that (breaking every O.D.D. furum rule about bashing here) rick jamison.

I plan on rebarreling to a Ruger compact magnum then maybe it will hold three in the mag.

--

This rifle is handy and easy to carry I like the stock and more importantly Mrs.RMiller loves it. It is so easy on the shoulder.

--

Describing the attributes of the 300 win mag would be redundant as it has nothing to prove.

Whats not to like about a 30 cal 180 at 3150 FPS?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

300Win Mag. I like how one can load a 200gr without running out of case & mag space.

IMO the 300WSM is a fine round, had one in a Model 70, great rig. So for me I would say the 300Win Mag as I do like the option of running bigger pills if needed.

PS-Does the rifle your looking at offer the 325WSM? If so that would be another fine choice. And whilst where at it throw the 338Win Mag into the equation? Great cal! Just a thought(grin).

Depends. I own both. I built up a 300 WSM because the shorter action was 5 ounces lighter than the long Win 70 sized action (which holds everything from the 06 to the 458 Lott).
    Since my goal for this project was a reasonably lightweight rifle I choose the 300 WSM.
    The Win 70 holds three down of either the 300 WSM or the 300 WM.
    Tennessee

My winchester 70 holds 3 down too. Not sure whats up with Rmillers gun, does it have a different mag follower? I just happened to find one for a really good price is the only reason I have a WSM over a WM. Both are excellent all around cartridges with the WM definately holding an edge in performance, and ammo availability. The RCM is neat looking but I don't see it as any practicle advantage over the 30/06 and the WSM as not that much of an advantage.

Choice will depend on the gun you buy. if you are looking at a long/standard action it is a no brainer. Go with the 300 WM, just like a 30 06 vs 308. No advantage for the shorter cartridge here.

I personally like short action guns. I find them handier for my style of hunting. I have a 300 WSM built on a custom Hart short action. The 300 WSM offer performance close enough to the 300 WM that no game animal will EVER notice. 300 WSM also recoils slightly less.

And don't fall prey to the hype that a 300 WSM will not shoot heavier bullets, BUNK!! Again, not quite up to 300 WM, but close enough.

So if you want a standard length action go with the 300 WM, if you like short actions go with the 300 WSM. Whatever your choice, never look back. They are BOTH winners!!

I am not sure why this ultimate shadow wont hold three down. I had a super shadow that would hold three down.

What models do you guys have?

I expect the 300 RCM is alot closer in velocity to the 300WSM than the 300WSM is to the 300 Winny. Especially in a 24 or 25 inch barrel.

I think I would go with the 338RCM anyway.

I dont like knowing that jamison is getting royalties off of all things WSM. I feel that his lawsuit was bogus. I have bought nothing WSM since I learned that I will buy nothing that has his name in or on it either.

Default Thanks.

Thanks. I am getting the Tikka T3 in .300 WM.

Gusto

Default good choice

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Thanks. I am getting the Tikka T3 in .300 WM.

Gusto
    In my book the only reason to own a WSM is the opportunity to get ballistics not far from the WM while using a smaller, lighter rifle. If you can't manage the smaller and lighter part of the deal, then the good old WM is a better choice.

I have been studying both. I own a 300 Winchester now and have owned a couple in the past. I do not own a 300 Winchester Short Magnum.
    I have a favorite cousin who works in R&D for Browning Winchester and he shared many of their findings.

300 Winchester Magnum:
    PRO:
    Uses heavier bullets better.
    Uses less magazine room.
    Tends to have less chambering problems.
    Is easier to find ammo and reloading components.

CON:
    Headspaces on the magnum belt, so is less inherently accurate.
    Uses a longer action.

300 WSM:
    Pro:
    Is one of the most inherently accurate cartrides.
    Since it does not have a magnum belt, it headspaces on the shoulder.
    Uses a shorter action
    Makes better use of the powder burn through a better case design.

CON:
    Does not do as well with the heavier bullets (over 180 grain)
    The fat casing takes up a lot of magazine room.
    Some WSMs have cartridge chambering problems due to the case design.
    Ammo is expensive and not as well stocked as the 300 WM.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 300 win magnum

CON:
    Headspaces on the magnum belt, so is less inherently accurate.
    --

This is only true with factory ammo.

If you reload cases that have been fired in the same rifle and you do not set the shoulder back while resizing. You will also headspace off the shoulder like any non-belted bottleneck case.

The 300 Win mag and the 300WSM are close enough ballistically (no they aren't the same) so difference in field performance will be slight unless you get above 180 grain in bullet weight. Float pilot has some good points to ponder. With 200-220 grains the 300 WM will make a difference in the field where heavier bullets are needed.

I would select the WSM when a lighter rifle is needed such as for mountain hunts or just for a lighter carry. I had a Sako 75 in a 6 1/2# rifle in 300 WSM. It was the first 300 WSM I owned and it was very definately the best. I sold it and have been trying to buy it back for two years. It was a 24 3/8" barrel and 180 grains at 2950 fps or so all into one hole. Recoil was very light and the rifle was a joy to shoot. I sold it because I didn't need another 30 caliber rifle. I think I can do all I want to do with a 30-06 when a 30 caliber is called for and 30 caliber magnums rarely appeal to me.

I also think the statement of the WSM being inherently more accurate or the 300 WM being less accurate is a campfire subject that could draw lots of discussion. referring to a hunting rifle, I don't think one would group better than the other in standard sporter rifle configuration. I shot a 300 WM at 800 and 1000 yard competition for a number of years and shot my best groups at that line with that cartridge, so I won't run it down too much. This accuracy is more a function of the gun and dimensions than caliber. I would further say that it is more barrel and load performance than any other factors so WSM or WM or any other 30 mag could win it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Case shape?

To pick up on Murphy’s point, I read an article in handloader where Barness and sisk Chambered a rifle in 300h&h, shot it, re-chambered to 300 wsm and shot it again to remove as many variables as possible to determine the effect of case shape on accuracy etc as 300h&h and 300wsm are at different ends of the .300mag spectrum in terms of case shape, but have similar case capacity. I believe that the H&H turned out to be marginally more accurate although almost certainly this would not be statistically significant. Both were very accurate with low velocity spreads. A small test/study, but the point is that a quality barrel/chambering and attention to your loads are the things that make for accuracy and not case shape. - Discussion?

As for the 300wm vs. the 300wsm, float pilot and others have made the points, the win mag allows for more oomph with heavier bullets and the wsm allows you to carry a lighter rifle. I would choose based on your intended use and of course finding a rifle that you like. In factory ammo, win mag used to be easier to find, cheaper and more plentiful. Maybe that has changed, but I have yet to see 200 grain factory loads for a 300wsm