Thread: Reunited at the gunshow!!!!!!!

Default Reunited at the gunshow!!!!!!!

Today at the gun show I found one of my old rifles. I had bought it 15 years ago at a large gunshow in birch Run, Mi, used it for several years for coyote/fox back home and brought it up to alaska with me 6 years ago. Two years ago I sold it when I had hit a rough patch. I was walking along in the gun show today and what do I see, my rifle. Exactly the same as I had sold it. Same scope, mounts, everything. No new scratches, no rust, exactly the same. Needless to say I quickly moved the few items I had brought and picked bought it back.

It is a remington 600 Mohawk in 222 remington. When I originally bought it it had iron sights, which I still have. I was just getting into predator calling and had been looking for a good predator rifle. I knew I had to buy it after I tried the trigger, very light and extremely crisp. AFter buying it I mounted a 3-9 redfield on it and got some reloading dies and supplies. I found a 40gr Vmax load that was just over 3100fps but regularly shot under 1/2 at 100 yards. I probably shot over 50 coyotes and fox with this combo until I moved to alaska. After I moved here I switched it to a 3-9 leupold compact scope and used it to shoot a few snowshoes but nothing else. So when times got tough it was one of the sacrificial lambs. I always regretted selling it.

I was really excited to get it back today and will load up some ammo for it this week, maybe go out and try to call something in next weekend. Its not every day that you get to buy back one of the guns you regretted selling. I hope everyone else had as good a time at the gunshow this weekend.

Smile

Good story Bear...and it has a happy ending. Glad to hear of your good fortune.

Confirms my long standing personal position on firearms acquisition..."buy and hold."

That's too cool.

Default Cool

Great story. Better than a Disney Happily Ever After story. But, and yes, there is a but, we all want to see you, the gun, and some fur in another post. Cool days buddy. Congrats on bringing home an old family member.

Nice! I've always liked the .222, even though I've never owned one. I look forward to seeing that some time.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Wow a Hallmark moment for sure. Happy shootin'

Thebear_78,

Great story, definitely take that as a good omen and meant to be. Hang on to that triple deuce this time! By the way how's the bore look? Hopefully, the years have treated that Mohawk well during your time apart. I grew up in the UP and my first centerfire dedicated varmint rifle was a Rem 722 chambered in .222Rem. Many pleasant memories competing against dad and his Win Model 54 220Swift. Family farmed a quarter section and we shot the crows and ground hogs along the far fenceline off the back forty. Hot summer nights, after chores, would find us handloading and shooting right from a picnic table setting next to the back door. Sure learned a lot of life's lessons right there. Anyways, you have a neat rife chambered in a great cartridge, have fun, oughta be a keeper.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

This old rifle has been well taken care of. I always kept it nice and clean and have to give credit to the guy who had bought it from me, she shines like a mirror when you look down the tube.

The triple duece is just a really neat cartridge. Easy to load for and generally very accurate. I have found very little that can't be done with it. From 40gr Btip or Vmax loads at 3100fps for general varmint use to downloaded bluedot loads duplicating 22lr or 22mag velosites for night or indoor use with 45gr Hornet bullets. It doensn't make much noise with the light bluedot loads and remains more accurate out to 100 yards than most rimfires. I haven't used any up here but I imagine that the 45gr hornet bullet at 1300fps would make a dandy grouse load and doesn't hit too far off poi of full power loads.

I have the same rifle, its been very acurrate, often near 1/2". Nice to carry. A friend was hot to buy if from me offering me 3 other guns. It was tempting, but I'm glad I remained strong. Your story re-affirms that I did the right thing.

Great story, Thebear. I don't live too far from Birch Run and have been to two gun shows over the past couple years there. They built an ice arena and have shows when there is no hockey. If you haven't been to BR lately, it has changed quite a bit. Tony's is still there serving the LARGE bacon plates for breakfast. ----Coming back to Alaska myself for a June black bear hunt in PWS/Whittier. Been after moose and caribou twice and really like that great state.

Default Good for you

I actually looked at that gun. I have a 600 in .350rm. I think they're great rifles. If I had the time to go predator hunting I might have picked it up myself. I'm glad it went to a good home though.

Sent you a PM

The only way that story could get better is if you bought the rifle back for half of what you sold it for.