Thread: Finished up the Coast Guard Class

Default Finished up the Coast Guard Class

I just finished up my 100T Master class today. It was a good class with a great instructor. He had a lot of experience on Alaskan waters.

The class was a fair amount of work, but I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I passed all the exams the first go-round, so I was pretty happy about that too.

That's great. For people that are thinking of taking the same class. What could you recommend them in preparing for the class?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Time.

It's an 80-hour course. In a normal 100T class, they teach it M-F for two weeks. Outside of class, a guy should have also have some study time. The class isn't "hard" per se, but there's a lot of information to learn in a fairly short period of time.

I took the class in the evenings and weekends. My class was spread out over the month February, so I had lots of time to study and read the material. Some folks had trouble with the navigation and charting; others had troubles with the weather sections of the course. I was strong in those areas, but I needed a fair amount of time to memorize all the rules.

There are four portions to the exam: rules, navigation (charts), nav general, and deck general. The rules test is probably the hardest, because you must score 90% or better, and you can't use any books or reference materials. For the other three tests, you can use coast guard books and other reference materials, and the other tests only require a 70% score to pass.

The school I used for the class provided you with everything you needed - books, tools, charts, and lots of sample questions and tests. I would whole-heartedly recommend their services to anyone. They were well organized, presented the material well, an afforded ample time to answer questions and helps folks on an individual basis. I was very happy with the job they did.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Coast Guard School

What school did you use?

Alaska Waters Consulting. They are in the Dimond Mall, on the 3rd floor, right above the Coast Guard Regional Testing Center. They just moved up there from the 2nd floor. The new place has more room.