Thread: 3/4 Bear Mount? Any trics to secure it to the wall.

Default 3/4 Bear Mount? Any trics to secure it to the wall.

I'm going to help a friend secure a bear mount to the wall. It is a 3/4 blackie. Any lessons learned on this?

thanks

Default Good Anchor

Quote Originally Posted by BearSlayer View Post
    I'm going to help a friend secure a bear mount to the wall. It is a 3/4 blackie. Any lessons learned on this?

thanks

As with any heavy mount, make sure you anchor it into a stud, drywall anchors may work, but I wouldnt take a chance on his trophy. I just hung up a sheep and the drywall anchors didnt hold, I would have been bummed if that fell off the wall.

Yeah... half a dozen 3/4" lag screws into solid hemlock work great. Alternatively, you can set masonry anchors into a 4" thick concrete wall... At least, that worked great after the 3/4 Brownie fell off the wall on my bartender's head at the Red Dog a few years ago! Busted up the bear's claws and nose pretty good when it fell 10'. Oh, and it only broke one $65 bottle of single malt too!

The back quarter of the bear is mounted on the other side of the wall with three 3/4" lags - had to find studs for that since there wasn't the wood siding to lag into, and I had already sold my roto-hammer...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Wall mounts

I used a 3/8 x 6'' lags c/w washer on my elk and moose shoulder mounts. Most taxidermists use a dbl 3/4" plywood backing. Simply drill a hole 1/8" bigger than the washer and then make a 2"x 1/2"key slot upwards of the larger,first hole. Then with a stud finder locate the centre of the wall stud and drill a 1/4" pilot hole. Screw in the lag leaving approx 2 1/2 '' from washer-wall. This will secure any mount, I even have pics of my grandkids sitting on the heads, like little cowboys/girls!
    It is even easier if you have the taxidermist drill out the outer layer prior to mounting.

Smile Go BIG

I agree with Cancancase. I actually used a 3/4" hook that I bent before installing so that it would go up into the mount. It works great! And keeps it tight to the wall. Like everyone said, make sure you get a stud. If not, you're asking for trouble somewhere down the road. More than once, someone has either bumped it or tossed something and hit it and I'm sure it would have come off the wall if it wasn't anchored solid. Good luck!