Thread: PWS Bear Baiting

Default PWS Bear Baiting

Curious how many of you on this forum are out every year setting up bait stations in Unit 6D. I will be doing the same and want to get an idea of setups and possible locations. Saw a ton of bears last fall (that when I got mine), but would like to get my 10 yr old his first. Spent a considerable amount of time this winter out on the water and I have an idea of where I want to go, but dont want to come into conflict with anyone else. Im curious what the Eastern Side (east of Ester Isl.) of PWS is like.

PM me if your willing to share any ideas on setups, bait, locations, etc.

Default Eastern PWS

No one is going to tell you a spot to go. The access of good bear baiting spots is determined by a safe place to anchor the boat.

There is also a lot of native lands around Galena Bay, Tatitlick and between Cordova.

Don't look for a huge bear. There was a guide using that area two years ago that shot everything. He'd tell clients that a 5' 5" bear was a respectable bear and shoot them.

As far as setups, lots of information on the forum here in the search. Any traditional setup will work. Just setup like you are hunting whitetails and you will be fine.

Probably at least 20 guys that I know of alone hunt out of Valdez.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Just remember

you cannot shoot a bear this spring. Your son can. People forget about shooting their bear in the fall and then shoot another one is the spring and then get busted later on, I know a guy who got busted 3 years after he sealed his last bear. Fish and game was reviewing stuff during the slow time in the winter and came across it. He surrendered the bear other wise it would have been a felony. Instead just a $250 fine and a misdemeanor. I would guess not that many people are going that way but not sure. Ester is good, especially in the passage. Very steap but they are there and just find a shoot or gulley that leads to the beach.

Default Thick with baits

There are good numbers of bears around Esther Island. However, there are also a good number of bear baiters on and around the island itself. I personally know of six bait stations in Esther Passage that are hunted every spring, and just as many or more on the island itself. If it were me, I would try to get away from the crowds and head south of Eshamy towards Bainbridge.

Hi

Sorry about butting in, but I have a question for:

akrstabout

Your comment about shooting a bear in the fall and not able to shoot one in the spring is different than the F&G told me. They said the lic is good for the calendar year. So I could shoot one in the spring, but then I would be done for the year. But if I shot on in the fall of 2007, then I could shoot one in the spring (or fall) of 2008. Is this correct - or are you correct?

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by RSC Hunter View Post
    Hi

Sorry about butting in, but I have a question for:

akrstabout

Your comment about shooting a bear in the fall and not able to shoot one in the spring is different than the F&G told me. They said the lic is good for the calendar year. So I could shoot one in the spring, but then I would be done for the year. But if I shot on in the fall of 2007, then I could shoot one in the spring (or fall) of 2008. Is this correct - or are you correct?

Thanks -
    He is correct.

The regulatory year goes from fall to spring, so if you shoot a bear in the fall in a one bear unit like 6D you cannot shoot another bear in a one bear per season unit until the following fall. The license is for the calendar year.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 03-02-2008 at 16:38. Reason: forgot something
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default legal

In 6d and other areas with a one bear limit. The season runs from the fall thru the spring. So if you kill a bear in the fall you cannot hunt the next spring because its still the same season. If you shoot one in spring you can then shoot one in the fall. Hope this helps. As for baiting make sure you are on a south facing slope or it may be mid june before the snow is all gone. Ive hiked that rotten snow before and its no fun. Hillbilly

Default Im aware of the reg's as well.

Yeah, thats the way it was explained to me as well. I shot mine in the Fall, so I know I can't shoot one in the spring due to the stated regulatory year in the reg's. Just trying to increase my son's chances with getting his first, I can wait till fall to get another one for myself.

Although, there is one place in PWS that I think you can get to thats a different GMU. Its Unit 7 and its two bear a season area, anyone catch that in the reg's? I heard theres a lot of bears in that area too.

Default Correct

Unit 7 West of Seward is 2 bears. You would be able to hunt that.

You can still hunt up north though, where the take is 3.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Sshhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    Although, there is one place in PWS that I think you can get to thats a different GMU. Its Unit 7 and its two bear a season area, anyone catch that in the reg's? I heard theres a lot of bears in that area too.
    Yes I caught it years ago. I have not had a chance to hun the area. Yes I hear there is a lot of bears too but also a lot of boats and hunters. I told a buddy about it that has been hunting out there for over 20years and never thought about or seen it that way. Theoritically you can shoot from the boat, ON A HIGH TIDE OF COURSE. Just never have enough to get over there in the spring. Put your bait back there and then pull the bait when season is done but hunting is still open and after july 1 punch another one and meat still might be good, hide might be rubbed or maybe just thin. Just don't caugh it up, we already said to much!

Sent you a pm on a very secret place to try enjoy

Default Thanks for the Lic Info

Thank you everyone for your clarification on the Lic. information. What you said make sense to me. I called F&G because the Lic I purchased in 2007 said 2007/2008. But the regulations said it was only good for the calendar year you purchased it in (I thought since the Lic. said 2007/2008 that it would be good from July 2007 to June 2008. They clarified that for me, but they did not say anything about the "season" not being the same as the calendar year. Anyway I think I got it now.... - thanks again - I really appreciate your help!

The information you are looking for is on top of page 14 in the regulation book. Also if you hunt with someone under 10 then their kill counts against your limit. Good luck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/