Thread: Neck thickness,turning necks important ?.

Default Neck thickness,turning necks important ?.

I was wondering necking down,or not;how it could benifit.I have for more consistant crimping bullet to bullet?.

What caliber would you necking down? And what would you be necking it down to?
    In any case for a hunting rifle my experience has shown turning necks is a waste of time with little if anything to gain.
    More importantly, if you necking something down and the necks are to thick you may have to ream the inside of the necks to remove material, not turning down the outside.
    Tennessee

I let the rifle decide.

I'm kinda run in circles by what you said. Necking down and turning necks are two different things, though the first can cause the need for the second in some cases.

Necking down is squeezing the neck of a case smaller than original to hold a smaller diamter bullet. You make a 25-06 by necking down a 30-06 case neck from 30 caliber to 25 caliber, for example.

Neck turning means removing some of the brass off the walls of the case neck to thin it. You might have to turn the necks if the neck walls get too thick as a result of necking down.

I've got a Winchester Model 94 in 25-35, but cases can be hard to find or expensive. Instead I make my own by necking down 30-30 cases. In doing so the neck walls get a little thicker, but not so thick that I am forced to neck turn.

I've also got a 6mm Remington, but couldn't find any brass when I needed some recently. Instead I necked down some 7x57mm Mauser cases. The resulting neck walls were too thick, so I had to neck turn them.

Some target guns may be custom chambered in such a way that you have to neck turn to get cases to fit, even if you haven't necked anything down. Some super accurate guns are made even more accurate if you turn case necks down to make them uniform in thickness for a uniform grip and release of the bullets. Some target guns don't need it. If a gun isn't super accurate to begin with, it isn't likely to be improved much by neck turning in my experience. But if you're shooting small targets far away or paper targets for score, every quarter inch reduction in group size will be important. It's just not so important with a typical big game hunting rifle.

On neck turning you can either remove metal from the inside or the outside of the neck. My Marquart setup removes it from the outside of the necks.

You don't need to neck turn quality brass in ordinary circs...and by quality I mean Federal match 308, any Norma or Lapua or Nosler

Hey Murphy, Why did you delete your post on this subject?
    I thought it contained some good information.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Hey Murphy, Why did you delete your post on this subject?
    I thought it contained some good information.

Apparently there are individuals on this forum who think by my giving load data, loading tips or even offering to teach people to reload would constitute a liability for me? or the forum owner? or some unnamed individual? I don't really know what the term "liability of pen" means.

And as for the good information, thanks I guess that makes one of ya, thanks for the support.

I guess I'm getting tired of the hooligans.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy I will say you have helpful info to share too. I didnt always agree with it, but NONE of it was bad. Just different from how I do it.

There are so many good sights with lots of reloading tips and info flying around. Cant see what liability of the pen has to with anything.

Maybe they saw to many hannibal lecter movies and think someone will swallow their own tongue because of something they read.

They must have their reasons. Rolleyes. Probably married to a lawyer wife .

Whatever, I am still waiting for the uncensored rant forum.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Bummer, You hit on some key points that I touched but didnt expand on. One being turning down the necks is NOT a substitue for removing material inside the neck if the neck is to thick. Some reloaders fail to understand the internal neck of the case goes just a hair below the lowest point the neck turning tool can touch on the outside of the case.
    Tennessee

Default Disclaimer...

Maybe with my new disclaimer I can get past the torts!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    There are so many good sights with lots of reloading tips and info flying around. Cant see what liability of the pen has to with anything.

roger that! Murphy if you don't put your .02 in what fun is it here? (thumbs up)

the best regards,

edit: I like the other saying of Pistols, Learn it well...........................................etc . instead of the now posted disclaimer

At least in Alaska, if someone was stupid enough to blow themselves up because they didn't follow directions, or exercise PRUDENT JUDGEMENT, it would be dammed hard to convince a judge and/or jury it was your fault.

Post what you want, ignore the retards, the rest of us are plenty intelligent enough to follow along.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

This is Sierra bullets disclaimer.

Sierra bullets cannot and does not accept any liability, either expressed or implied, for results of damage or injury arising from or alleged to have risen from the use of the data in this manual.
    ------------------------

On my other favorite forum site there is a forum called "your favorite loads-share them with us" . It has 1015 topics with 5779 posts.

They also have a reloading data page of there own and a handy disclaimer to go with.

Inherently, reloading ammunition is dangerous. The application of a little common sense will go a long way in keeping you out of trouble. As usual, with any reloading data, the components and charge weights used here were safe in the rifles they were tested in, and any change of components could result in dangerous pressure. So, please, if you are new to reloading, go out and buy one of the many excellent reloading manuals that are available. Some are available free of charge, like from HERCULES, WINCHESTER, REMINGTON AND HODGDON.

-------------------------------------------------------

When I first started posting loads I would put; for entertainment purposes only at the bottom of the page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres is what another poster put about loading safety:

Warning to newbies:

If you have no judgment and just follow procedures and if you read anything on the internet, you might act on it like a procedure, then you should not be reloading or reading the internet.

Please lie down and hold still. Help is on the way. If you get hungry or have to go to the bathroom, make a high pitched crying sound.

I have never neck turned a round before.

Here is a wonderful article on neck turning. http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar88.htm

Neck turning can come from WANT if you want to have concentric case necks as this may help with benchrest type accuracy.

Or if you are necking down you may NEED a neck turner to get the cases to work.

I once had the bright idea of making 243 cases out of 308 brass. It did not work because the case necks were too thick. I spent about an hour making a couple cases and loaded them all up then at the end of it they did not chamber. After some research and a couple days I learned about case neck thickness. I was about 17 at the time before the internet had been invented..

Neck turning cases for hunting rifles with standard factory chambers really depends on the uniformity of the brass neck wall thickness. If you measure the neck wall thickness with a micrometer and find significant variation (in maybe 10%) of your cases than you might think about neck turning to uniform your case necks. The main reason to not neck turn cases for standard chambers is to reduce the amount of expansion that your brass goes through when it expands to seal the chamber. That being said, outside neck turning is definitely necessary for tight neck chambers. Inside neck reaming is also sometimes necessary in cases formed from a parent cartridge to remove excess wall thickness. My solution is to purchase quality brass and to only turn case necks when there is a terrible variance in wall thickness. I find that hand held tools achieve the most accurate results, but, are extremely time consuming. Turning even a small number of cases really makes me question whether it is even worthwhile.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:

Wal, Iím shore glad I got some load info from you before this happened. I didnít want to put you in any jeopardy when I asked all those questions.

I never know when I might need you again, so disclaimer or no. Whatever works.

Thanks for your help, past, present, and hopefully, the future.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.