Thread: assist hooks

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default assist hooks

ok i see these things on the new butterfly jigs and its a new concept to me anyway. not sure how long its been done this way. anyway who can tell me the advantages and disadvantages (if any) to this new setup. does this setup work for salmon as well or is it more targeting the bottom dwellers? looking at the prices on ebay they are spendy, how do you go about cutting the costs if you were to go through multiple setups. these hooks look as though they can run about $7.00 just for two hooks. that would make your average 4 oz crippled herring a 12 dollar jig.

Default Assist hooks

The theory is the fish/jig gets hit up by the head so you get a higher percentage of hook ups. If your bouncing bottom on the drift it may or may not help with snags. We have caught halibut and lings with them. Similar stuff has been around for years. A couple of the big name manufactuers are very good at advertising/promoting "butterfly jigging", "free jigging" and what ever else it is called. I know they catch a lot of fisherman! If you "google" how to make assist hooks you will find info on how to tie them, what cord or line to use and shrink tubes. I plan on trying them for silvers this year. When we are anchored we often bounce lead head jigs with an assist hook tied on behind the jig hook. It catches fish. Have fun!

These give me an idea for a new way to tie my single hooks to my wiggle worts.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default home tied assist with 80# dacron

i tied some up using a mustad hoodlum 3/0 hook and my 4 oz shad lead jig. foiled and scale printed with tough powder coating protecting it all. way tougher finish than you will find form the big box shops.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I run the 510 4/0 assist hook by gamakatzu with the red rope on my kwikfish and wiggle warts. The key is to take a pair of pliers or channel locks and off-set the hook. They do hold well once hooked up. They have a circle hook affect and a reverse barb.

I have some of the ones pictured to try for this year. They are a very stout hook and I may need to heat it up to off-set the hook. I haven't played much with it yet but soon will.

Default Assist hooks and butterfly jigs

What you really want is for the gap of the hook to be larger than the diameter of the jig so that when the fish bites the metal it will get the hook. I tried to explain the technique in another thread but the main thing is if the gap of the hook is not wider than the jig you will not catch as much. This is a seldom explained but critical component of the lure.

I still think a fine, fresh plug cut herring will out fish any thing for salmon. But it is something different

Good luck

Default that makes sense,

the concept of the gap being wider than the diameter of the lure and it got me thinking about how the butterfly jig is setup. the butterfly jig is skinnyer at the top of the jig so im not at doubt that the assist hooks gaps are wider then the diameter of the jig at the spot chosen to hang. what is it about the butterfly jig that makes the fish hit the top of the lure versus the bottom where there is definatly more meat to target? two tiny eyeballs making that call? i understand that the butterfly lure is also set up to provide more action during the upstroke versus the fall wich is totally opposite than what i have been taught. so in order for my jigs to be more sucessful the gap needs to be wider than the diameter of the lure itself. looking at my lure i have three options, i can get a bigger hook to accomodate the diameter from the back to belly of the lure, or i can make the leader longer to set around the tail end of the lure, or i can leave it as is and claim that the gap IS wider than the lure from side to side and the leader is rigged to naturally set that way. i plan on making my 08 maiden voyage out of whittier on the weekend of the 25 of april so ill get to try them out as is so far. i appreciate the suggestions and more literature on the butterfly jigging technique i am willing to listen and learn. especially why they think they are worth so much. have you seen the prices of the shimano butterfly system? maybe thats what ill do is come up with a bunch of lures and call it a system so i can charge more.

Default can tell you what I know

I am happy to tell you what I know. Truthfully the system is expensive and it works but the regular crippled herring or better yet deep stinger have both proven themselves here in Alaska over the years. I would keep the assist hook short, just as them come. I think all the jigs get bit at the head and we end up catching the fish with the hook on the back end anyway.
    The finish on the butterfly jigs is really nice but for my money, look at the River 2 Sea jigs. I am sure B&J have them . They are half the price and the finish is sweet as are the Bass Pro "Freestyle Jigs" Sweet finish and nice range of sizes.
    Shimano are the most expensive and from my experience they are not any more productive. Do make sure you have a fairly light rod to work the jigs as this will give them more action.
    I am away on vacation so I will keep this short. If you want anymore information, shoot me an email or PM and I will get back to you when I get back on Sunday....Gotta go Surf's up!!