Hello, we got lucky last year and got 2 kings in the Big Eddy area (I think) drifting sideways to the current with lots of other boats; please let me know if this is the right setup to use:
I've been using store bought rigs using a spin-n-glow with a egg loop; we actually got those 2 fish (on 2 separate days) using store bought (TW) cured eggs; seems like the opinion is that store bought eggs are not good, but that's all we had.
1. Anyway, do you put a big glob of eggs on or a small portion?
2. How much leader length from swivel to hook?
3. What's the best method/type of lead to use for weight? We just attached a 2 or 3 oz. bank sinker to the snap swivel that goes to the spin-n-glow rig. I think others use round ball-type sinkers?
4. Can you legally use a combo of bait? We had some sardines and I put a small fillet on the hook itself along with the eggs in the loop. (kinda late to be asking that question....oops)
5. Do guys use corkies instead of spin-n-glows?
6. Best colors?
7. How much line do you let out? Seems like everyone casts the whole rig upstream and that's about it. Last year we lost a few rigs to snags, maybe too much weight or too much line out? I hate that cause we end up disrupting the symphony of boats in the line up and that current can get you in lots of trouble in no time!
PS---is it better to use fluorocarbon leader?