Thread: 25-06

Default 25-06

My plan this year is to use my Mdl. 700 25-06 for sheep hunting. It shoots Federal factory 100gr. Ballistic tips very well. A good friend of mine is showing me how to reload. Instead of using the Ballistic tips, I bought a box of 110gr Accubonds. He told me the Accubonds were built a lot stronger and would be a prefered hunting bullet over the Ballistic tip. I have never harvested an animal w/ it, so I was wondering if anybody has ever hunted w/ this caliber before?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If it were me I would switch over to the 100 grain Barnes TSX if you are wanting to stay with the lighter bullet in 25-06.

Default 25-06

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    My plan this year is to use my Mdl. 700 25-06 for sheep hunting. It shoots Federal factory 100gr. Ballistic tips very well. A good friend of mine is showing me how to reload. Instead of using the Ballistic tips, I bought a box of 110gr Accubonds. He told me the Accubonds were built a lot stronger and would be a prefered hunting bullet over the Ballistic tip. I have never harvested an animal w/ it, so I was wondering if anybody has ever hunted w/ this caliber before?
    I've whacked a bunch of game over the years with the 25-06 and Nosler 115 and 120 grain partitions, and if anyone made a nice 130 grain spitzer in 25 cal I'd use that instead. I'm not a fan of 100 grain bullets of any make for game in the 25-06 though. Just too fast and hard on eating meat when I've used it, and the heavier bullets of all brands penetrate better than the 100 grain versions of the same make. I'll trade extra weight for velocity in this caliber any day, kinda like the thinking behind using a 150 grain bullet in a 270 rather than a 130 grainer. You won't hear many folks talking about using a 100 grain bullet for game in a 270 either, and it's ballistically very similar to the 25-06.

I'm not picking on the 25-06 in those feelings, BTW. The first 257 Weatherby I owned was an early slow-twist model that wouldn't stabilize heavier bullets. I wasn't satisfied with the 100's by any means, and dumped it. Years later I picked up another with a faster twist barrel, and it did great with 115's and 120's. But I think it would really come into it's own with that mythical 130 grain bullet I mentioned.

I imagine those 110 accubonds would work just fine, I have used the 117gr sierra gameking on a few whitetails and it worked like a charm.

I've used 115 gr. Partitions with my .25-06 on mule deer with good results. The mule deer I've shot were good sized, but not nearly as "stout" as a sheep, and on average probably at closer ranges than some sheep are shot. However, it seems I couldn't get nearly as good of groupings with those Partitions as I could with some other bullets. The groups were still decent, just not as impressive as others. I have used 100 grain Nosler BTs on antelope. Even on those small framed, light skinned animals I decided to use a little tougher bullet after shooting a few goats ("slang" for antelope, not mt. goats!). I bought a box of 110 Accubonds but haven't had a chance to try them out. I guess if I were going after sheep with my .25-06 (which I wouldn't as it's quite heavy, Ruger #1B) I'd stick with 115 or 120 grain bullets in a Partitions or Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    If it were me I would switch over to the 100 grain Barnes TSX if you are wanting to stay with the lighter bullet in 25-06.

That would be my thinking as well! That 100TSX will surely hold together better at 25-06 speeds and out penetrate the cup and cores and Prtition/Accubond IMO. I know theres a bunch of guys whacking black bear with 25's and 100TSX's in SE and they aint complaining. With hyper velocity and the TSX's ability to hold together I'd say thats a good combo. This is an age old argument but you'll have much more left over of the TSX in actual weight than you will with any of the others post death impact!

I agree with the a poster above that it has the characteristic of messing up a bunch of meat. I have taking caribou out at very long ranges with 100 grainers possibly just the Rem. core-loks - a loaner rifle some many yrs. back. The fella had it zeroed pretty high and took me a few shots to see where it was hitting. Once the range was established it did a fine job of knocking them down. I can easily say the ranges were up to and around 500 yds - can be attested to my familiarity of using a range finder in the past 5 or 6 yrs.

I tried to tell my friend I would reload for him if he buys the dies and brass and such along with 120 Swifts-would be good combination. To this day he still shoots them core-lokts----oh well.

Yup, switch over to the 100-grain Barnes TSX bullets and rock on.