Thread: Current Hide Prices

Question Current Hide Prices

After contributing some money to buy some furs today at the Fur Rondy auction I wonder if these were deals, I figure the purchase contributes to their continued trapping and hunting of these predators so I can have more game to hunt, so good deal or not it went to a good cause.

Does anyone have a site or details on what hides are going for this year, general prices I know a lot depends on hide quality, specifically Lynx and Wolf?

Also what is the going rate to get a Wolf or Lynz tanned, I often wonder if the green hides at $100 less than a tanned one is a good deal.

Thanks

Talking Fur Prices

If you have any Questions call Alaska Range Trapping Supply and talk with Bob Green. #376-5873

Alpha Furs by the airport charges 85 for a wolf and 40 for a lynx. So $100 less than a tanned hide is a better deal. I was there last week end and the tanned hides were going for a lot more that 100 over the raw furs. There were two reindeer hides and you could have saved about $100.00 by walking up to 4th ave and buying one there. But generally, the prices at the auction are pretty good, as long as you don't get into a bidding war with an out of stater. The prices on the sheet from Alaska Midnight Furs or whoever info that was on the table where you paid, are not correct so if you call him, that'll be the first thing he'll let you know.

Have to check what type of tanning has been done taxidermy vs garmet.. and of course what shape the green hide is in, fleshed well? and once it is tanned, most of the slippage and tearing worries are done...agree check with Bob..

Here are the prices that furs brought at a major fur auction. The prices are very good. Remember that marten are known as sable in these auctions.

http://www.furharvesters.com/Results/feb08us.pdf

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Lynx and Lynx Cat?

I asked the same question at one time. A lynx is a lynx. A lynx cat is a bobcat. Good question.

Default Lynx Cat

In Oregon they referred to eastern Oregon bobcats as "Lynx cats" and Western Oregon bobcats just as "bobcats." The Lynx cats are much more valuable. They are often larger, have whiter bellies and very defined spots. The west side cats are more of an orange / dark color. When I lived there a few years back Lynx cats were averaging 6 times the value of the west side cats.

Marten ... $100 average / $190 tops ..... Wow