Thread: North River Owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question North River Owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please post your positives and negatives of your North River Boats here. I am about to purchase one and would like to know what the current owners of the boats think before I spend this kind of money. I know I have another thread below this one about if the boat is a good deal or not. I just want to be able to run in farely shallow water but nothing like 2-3". So Let me know?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default 21 foot commander

350 mp fuel injected hamilton 212 with turbo 2.4 impellar.

quick to get on step, good acceleration, runs shallower than i need to, close to 50mph boat, handles and turns great, love the heated cabin area, great on larger rivers, does ok in pws but you have to pick your windows.

needs more interior room and storage area, would rather have a hard top than a rag top, fuel consumption about 10 gph cruising at 28 to 30 mph, two footers are hard to cruise in have to work the throttle a little and steer accordingly to save the kidneys. and it dosent take long to fill up with gear.

good all around boat really. i can cruise up to coghill river and run right out of the salt up the river. cant do that with many boats.

How shallow will these run?

Thats a kind of loaded question Willy. It ought to run all day long it 6 inches of water, but most rivers dont stay steady state depth wise like that, its always changing. So if your in 6 inches of water, you better know its not going to turn into 4 inches, then 2 inches, and so on right? That boat will run over dry ground for a ways before it gets stuck, but you need to know you have deeper water coming your way, because they get heavy when you have to push them. And theyll go farther across gravel than silt, but in the gravel you do stand a chance of damaging the bottom some times. The boat itself will run in stuff so shallow you wouldnt believe it'll make it, but truthfully, all you need is a slot of water 6-19 inches wide thats deep enough to fill your jet with water for thrust, (as long as you can have your jet intake perfectly positioned above the slot) the rest of the boat only needs an inch or so of water as long as you are on plane. Then you need to allow for parking and restarting. Once you pull power you'll be touching bottom in less than a foot of water, and you'll never get started again in that shallow of stuff. You need a slot usually at least a boat length long thats maybe 18 inches deep for a start with most of these boats when light. There are tricks to maximixing performance in these instances, and just when you think you've got it figured out, you'll meet a guy who makes something difficult look easy. Its all a compromise, this boat hes looking at is reasonably comfortable, reasonably seaworthy for suff like the sound on good days, reasonably roomy, reasonably durable, and great handling and performing on the rivers, although still a bit heavy if you plan to push. I lived in denial for years about weather I planned to push or not, truth is, I rarely have stopped before being forced to when exploring, so I'd have to say it is a factor, but no enough to move me into a canoe or something like that just yet!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default northriver website

claims the commander will do 4 inches but i will never put that to the test. too much invested to be out bashing up my bottom. i do have a thick 1/4 inch bottom but from what i understand the thicker the bottom the harder and more expensive to fix. if you plan on going shallow all the time buy an xtreme or sportjon. they are easier to push when you do get stuck.

buy the NR, shop around and by a lighter boat for only shallow running, sell the NR come spring, take the difference and buy a 4 wheeler to boot! (My idea, you gotta share the 4 wheeler with me...)