Thread: first time AK fisherman, going to sitka, what is there?

Default first time AK fisherman, going to sitka, what is there?

hi everyone,

im a new member, and i thought i should join so i can ask any questions that i may have. i am going to AK on june 10 through the 24. i am definately looking to go fishing while i am there. i am mainly a river guy, fishing for salmon and steelhead down here in MI, so i would like to stick to the rivers if at all possible. are the salmon, or anything else for that matter, in the river in june? what else is there around there? anything that is a must see/do? i am sure i will have many more questions in the next 3 months, so please bear with me . thanks
    adam

Adam, the king bite is in full swing, however not in rivers and to my knowledge other then sawmill you cant fish the "rivers" in town to any real amount for anything. There should be some dollys to play with. Steelies will be over, then again you may get lucky to have a few around yet out by the hatchery (forget the stream name just past it).

Things to do in Sitka,

Fish

Fish

Fish

oh

Fish

excuse my ignorance, but why cant you fish the rivers? are they all private or something? so to fish while i am there, i need a boat? or is there surf fishing on the beach? my main rod down here for salmon and steelies is a 10'6" G loomis gl3, medium heavy action. will that work, or is something different needed? thanks in advance,
    adam

Sitka is on a relatively large island. If you're really after stream and river fishing, try looking a bit farther East to the mainland. Juneau and Petersburg have some great stream fishing (the local area will be full of schooling king salmon).

I love to get to Sitka to fish any chance I can, but it's always with our boat. Great halibut, rock fish, and ocean run salmon... not much from shore unless you're working with a crew of Russians in a processing plant!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well, im going to sitka because i have family there. so going to other places isnt a real options. i guess im looking for the best i can do on the island. thanks
    adam

Thumbs up Hit the salt

You need a boat to access the King fishery. I would hire a guide for a salmonn halibut combo. I believe more sport caught ocean Kings are caught in Sitka than any other port Alaska port.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

if you have family there they should be able to lead you to the right places at the right times or at least know someone that can. lots of fishing and gathering going on in sitka.

Thumbs up Sitkoh

Adam,
    I too only fish rivers, and for the last 10 years now, just for steelies. Like you, I am also out of state. I have been fortunate to be able to come up to Alaska each year for the last 15 years. On about my second trip up, I fished Sitkoh Creek, which is about a 45 minute flight out of Sitka. We flew into the lake, stayed at the USFS cabin and fished the Sithoh creek, the lake outlet. The cabin has a skiff included, so we rented and brought a kicker. We went in August and found the creek, which is very small, to be great fishing, aknost every pool had fish. It is only about 4 miles long from lake to the salt, but is a hike while in waders. Anyhow, we did a lot of exploring and even fished the incoming tide with streamers, which was loaded with fish at the mouth. We caught silvers, kings, chum, PINKS (got somewhat boring real quick) and plenty of sockeyes. Plus, up top of the creek near the lake, lots of nice rainbows about 16" hanging under fallen trees. Too bad you're not going a little later, like July. In any case, have a great time, do your research and you'll have an absolute blast. Lots of good information and friendly members here. Feel free to PM me, I might be able to recommend good books. Oh yeah, do be concerned for bears, they're at the rivers also doing the same thing as you. Enjoy!

sitkoh has a good early spring steelie run, I guess you could say 2nd to the situk. But I believe June is going to be to late for it for you.

You can in a small boat access those kings right near town though the reality of it is it usually isnt the greatest. If you can get to biorka and you usually can, even in a small boat, you can really put the hammer to them, or the rock pile (viskari).... Your family is aware of all this though I'm sure. Don't over look the hatchery. I was having a blast fly fishing out near there after work (fishing all day). Burnt a reel up in a hurry if that means anything to you and you CAN make that I'd say 95% of the time.

most of the rivers are off limits to salmon fishing. It's not private, it's the fact that most of it is spawning beds. You can have fun with the dollys though...atleast for awhile. I've never caught very big ones though...still fun on a 3wt.

I believe you can fish a portion of sawmill though and in June it might be ok for kings. I've never done it and cant tell you how many return to it. I know people do do it. Or, atleast say they do or try to as the story goes.

Default Sitkoh

[quote=steelguy;222834] We caught silvers, kings, chum, PINKS (got somewhat boring real quick) and plenty of sockeyes. Plus, up top of the creek near the lake, lots of nice rainbows about 16" quote]

Sitkoh creek is a great place. There are NO KINGS though! I don't think there is much of a chum run either.

The biggest rainbows I've seen in SE alaska were caught at the outlet of Sitkoh lake. Nice sized dollys too.

I don't think the creek would be to happnin' in June though. Might be a few spawned out steelhead left...maybe some early sockeye. Rainbows though.

Theres a couple of lakes with brook trout over there. King fishing is closed in freshwater
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

are there any rivers with trout around? not looking for a specific spot, just a river name, so i can start looking. would it be worth it to bring my 10'6" st croix 9 wt rod? i use it here for steelhead and trout in the rivers. what should i bring for flies/lures?