Thread: Insoles for Hiking Boots- Factory or aftermarket?

Question Insoles for Hiking Boots- Factory or aftermarket?

I am wondering what most hunters (especially sheep hunters) do for insoles in their boots. Are you satisfied with your factory insoles or is their an "aftermarket" insole that most hunters prefer to switch to immediately?

Default Super Feet

I have replaced my miendl canada insoles with super feet and have been happy with them. I guess it probably depends on what kind of boots you have and the quality of the insoles they come with.

+1 for superfeet, hiked comfortably in soule's (I believe they were named) too, they required heating to mold to your feet.

Custom made insoles or off the shelf superfeet or some other brand, if they work for you, are a must as far as I'm concerned. Especially when hauling a heavy pack. Your foot needs a solid foundation with proper support. I have used custom made insoles in all my shoes, boots and downhill ski boots for years. Never leave home without em!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Superfeet

Most important, get rid of the factory show laces!!! It seems all brands want to be for *fashion* and the d@#$ things come untied at the worse of times! No reason to die from a fall for a *fashion statement*. I wonder how many dead hikers are from laces coming undone? The Carhart strings seem to be great and inexpensive.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Superfeet (green) for me too.

Regarding laces; I've never had a problem with factory laces coming undone as there are plenty of ways to tie them so they just won't untie until you want them too. A surgeon's knot is the one I use for hunting boots and athletics. Haven't had one untie on me in years.

Quote Originally Posted by KCrowley View Post
    Regarding laces; I've never had a problem with factory laces coming undone as there are plenty of ways to tie them so they just won't untie until you want them too. A surgeon's knot is the one I use for hunting boots and athletics. Haven't had one untie on me in years.
    I have tried everything short of burning my laces on my Merrills and my Asolo shoes. Double and triple tie...they find a way to come undone. Maybe back luck, but getting rid of those slimy (but pretty)laces ALWAYS works...they stay tied. Go figure..
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I have tried everything short of burning my laces on my Merrills and my Asolo shoes. Double and triple tie...they find a way to come undone. Maybe back luck, but getting rid of those slimy (but pretty)laces ALWAYS works...they stay tied. Go figure..
    That's cool. Just for reference sake here is a web site that shows the surgeon's lace knot, along with many others I haven't tried.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/surgeonknot.htm

Thumbs up

That's cool. Just for reference sake here is a web site that shows the surgeon's lace knot, along with many others I haven't tried.

Learn something new everyday. Good tip.

I like tyhis one...I will give it a tryAnything is better than falling

Not sure where I read it but some one mentioned kelvar laces.. Sounds like a good idea and they are not that expensive.... Hate to have a broken lace miles from no-where....

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...&kw=boot+laces

Default broken laces

always carry 550 cord....thousands of uses

So, for sheep hunters, you guys recommend green superfeet????

Default Insoles for Hiking Boots

So from what people have said it appears as if I should and will replace my factory insoles. I already have 2 sizes of the SOLE brand (those you heat up and then mold to your foot) but have never used them. Since I already own them I guess I will try them first. If they are not comfortable enough as I break in my new pair of boots I will switch to the SuperFeet brand since they appear to be a favorite of others on this forum.

Thanx for the info.

KC:
    As somebody already said, " you learn something new everyday." I`m going to give it a try.

FYI...I tried this knot on the worse ice condition trail I have ever been on...and it works great! Thanks for the info!