Thread: Bears In Katmai?

Default Bears In Katmai?

This is my first post here. I really enjoy this forum. I have been reading and learning alot about Alaska in the last few weeks.

I am headed to the interior of Katmai for an extended bout. I have read the bears along the coast are pretty used to seeing people, but what about the interior bears? I will be doing alot of walking around alone heading to Rainbow Trout holes. Is the area primarily open, or heavily wooded and bushy?

I have been told I can't carry bear spray on a plane, and plane is the only way there, so I am going to bring a 454 Alaskan.

I am not paranoid about the bears, but I do want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

Default Common Sense

Will take you much farther than any weapon will. I have been running around the rivers and woods here for over 26 years. I stopped carring a weapon for the most part (i dont when fishing but do have a backup bowhunting) about 15 years ago. I do make alot of noise when hiking about, lots of bad I mean really bad singing or whistling. On long open trails it is not so bad but blind corners thick brush im pretty loud. I have carried a hand held air horn that has seem to work well. Food in my pack is always sealed up, if keeping fish fillet them right away and seal them up, Depending on where your going you might be able to pick bear spray up there also.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the info Chuck. I am familar with the steps needed to make the bears aware of your presence. Trust me I will be making noise, and I won't be wacking through heavy brush. I am also working on hiking with my head up. I have a habit of looking at my feet.

I was just wondering how the interior Katmai bears were tempered versus the coastal bears. For example I have read the bears around Denali are fouled tempered, and the coastal bears a little more tolerant of people.

Thanks again,
    Richard

Default Katmai bears

First off good luck on your trip. I owned a 454 Alaskan for a period of time and it was a dependable revolver for the time I owned it. I never took any bears with it, but I would not have been concerned using it on a black bear. However, a brown bear I just don't know. I suppose I would probably go a different route then a revolver when traveling in trophy brown bear country. Bears are not the most predictable and may charge with no reason. With that in mind there some things you can do to minimize potential conflicts with bears. Don't suprise bears, so make noise like Chuck suggested. You can buy bells are REI, and then attach it to you backpack. Stay away from sows with cubs. Do not encroach upon or bother bears that are feeding. Bears are extremely protective of their food. As far a the 454 is concerned, I would prefer a .45-70 guide gun. They have iron sights and are very dependable in the field.

Default NPS correction

Sorry gang, I pushed go too fast. Here's what I meant to say:

-- Katmai preserve: firearms are legal.
    -- Katmai park (that was added in 1980, mostly in the north and west portion of the unit) firearms are also legal.
    -- Katmai park (that was pre-1980 national monument) loaded firearms are not allowed.
    -- The whole park/preserve: Bear spray is legal.

Also, checked w/our folks in King Salmon, and there are stores there that sell bear spray.

On the exact boundaries, again, feel free to check in w/the park staff, 246-3305.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be making plenty of noise, and paying attention to where I am going.

Thanks again,
    Richard

Default Katmai

I visited Katmai in 2006 to check out the bears at Brooks Camp and the surrounding area. Here are some photographs to give you an idea of what the vegetation is like away from the coast: http://picasaweb.google.com/dacks46er/KatmaiNatLPark

It's pretty brushy along the waterways and there are definite bear trails paralleling all of the streams. The bears at Brooks Camp are habituated to people, but that area gets a lot of tourists.

Have a great trip and post some pics of those trophy rainbows when you get back!

Default solo hunter

I sent you a PM.

Default Thanks Solo

I just saw this post. Sorry it took so long to reply. I will post trout pictures if I catch any!

Thanks,
    Richard