Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Deal?

Question Good Deal?

I have a guy with an 21ft 04 North River Trapper with the 5.7L Vortec 310hp that he wants to sell me for 21,000$. It has 59 hrs on it and is in pristine condition, never taken in saltwater, no dents. It has all the these options, full canvas top, gps/sonar, air rides, stomp grate, electric trailer brakes and the usual standard north river options on the website . Is this a good deal, I think it is but want your guy's opinion. I am new to Jet boats but have been doing a little research. Any help would be nice. Oh and what are your guy's opinion on North Rivers?

Sounds like a good deal. I bought an older 20' Seahawk with a 351 inboard last year. The Seahawk is a little different boat, but considerably older. I paid a little less, but the guy needed to get rid of it before winter. The boat you mention has more/better options than mine. I'd say if you want to buy a jet boat you should look at it real hard. Go look at some new ones or look at Craigslist and you will get an idea of what they are going for.

Do it! That sounds like a great deal to me. I paid over 38K for my 2002 Commander.

Good luck.

Default NR

Is that the white one on the car lot in Anch, I heard they bought it at the auction, must have been a repo, thought it was sold now. I haven't seen it for a week or so. Good price though.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i paid 37k for my 05 commander with no electronics. sounds like a smokin deal to me.

that is a great deal and you should have alot of fun with that boat
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't do it, sounds like a bad deal..........PM me the guys number. LOL

Even though it sounds like a great deal do not jump on it without investing in a marine survey.
    Also, never ever trust an hour meter. They are easily disconnected. Pay a couple of hundred for the survey and go from there.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up sounds like a good deal

I have a '01 -21' NR Trapper for sale, 500 hrs, priced at $26,500, with extras. Great boat, heavy duty construction and dependable. So, this boat sounds like a good deal, but agree you should get a survey, well worth the cost. Good luck!

Default Get It Appraised/checked Out!!!

Take it to a boat dealer like marita or someone with repute, get it looked at by a mechanic that knows inboard boats very well!!!! Trust me when I say that it is well worth losing $200 to find out that a boat has been sunk in a lake before dropping the better part of a years salary. This sounds like a smokin' deal, but don't get screwed by it!

Chris Stout

Talking

I will take it in monday and have an appraisal on it done thanks alot guys. Oh by the way this is someone I know and he just recently bought a 28 foot ocean boat and needs this money to put down on it to lower his payments. I am just trying to help him out. LOL. It has never been sunk and It has actually been in the water like 5 times since he bought it. He keeps it in his 40' by 60' shop with a custom cover on it(also comes with). I will get it appraised and I'll let you know what it comes in at.

Sounds like a smoking deal to me too. Crawl underneith and make sure the bottom isn't bashed in anywhere.

Default I am with them

I am with Yukon and Snowwolfe. It is a bad deal. Run for your life, but send me the number first, and if you decide not to run, then have somebody smarter and not attached take a good hard look.
    North River boats seem to be well built. Good welds, good substructure, good fit and finish. I have never heard anybody say anything bad about the material, construction, or quality control on those boats. Suuuwwwhhhheeeet! At least based on what you said.

Here is the Report!!!!

21' North River Trapper, 310hp Vortec, Ham 212 and all the Options(59 true Hours)
    Estimated Value- $36,000
    Replacement Value-$51,000

Seems a little high but the bank today didn't mind financing $19,500 of the $21,000 total price for a boat worth that much. It was a pain in the ***** to purchase a boat via financing. I had it appraised, liked the appraisal and took it to alaska USA at 9:30 am and left at 6:45 pm. They had already locked the doors and closed up by the time the loan was completed. What a bunch of crap. Oh well I am now the Proud owner of a very nice 21' North River Trapper. I couldn't be happier.
    Thanks for all your help

I think you got a good deal, and made a very good choice. You will be happy with the Northriver.

Is this your first boat? Be careful and ease into it until you get used to how the boat feels.
    This is a powerful boat.

I had run outboard jetboats all my life and when I got in my new Northriver it scared me a little. It's kind of like moving up from a volkswagon to a stockcar, same basic principle. It didnt take long to get the feel and now I love the boat. One thing I noticed is you have to read the water faster and make decisions a little quicker.

Have fun

What are some good beginner rivers for this jet boat so I can get the feel of it. Hopefully within 50-100 miles of anchorage so I can do day trips this summer.

I would start out on a lake until you get comfortable with the new boat.

If you ever need any pointers, let me know. I would be happy to meet you out at one of the valley lakes.

There are alot of very experianced boaters on this forum that I'm sure would be able to help you get started.

Default Congrats

That is a great deal. People here have given you good advice. Go to the lake get and very familiar with the handling. I have a 21' North River as well and am planning to do an early run (early-mid May) up to Lake Creek if you wanted to tag along that would fine. Made it up there last year at that time and it made running the rest of the summer a lot easier. Getting stuck is not a lot fun. Make sure to get a good anchor, rope-a-long, 600' feet rope, shovel, and a saw. It isn't a matter of if you get stuck it is a matter of when. Especially in the silty rivers.

The Yukon was an easy "read" compared to the Big Su and Yentna for the most part.

Default Getting stuck is at least half the fun!!!!

I've always viewed it that if you can't have fun getting stuck and unstuck... you're missing out on half the trip (at least that's the way it's always worked out with my driving skills anyway!)

Default Now my northriver story

We were bombing down the Yukon, trying to make time to Tanana where a fresh pot of spaghetti was waiting. We were already over a day behind as we had boat issues and had to tow back upriver to the bridge, haul butts and boat back to FAI, and pick up our spare boat. It is a 24' Wooldridge classic with a 502 and 10" hamilton.
    Ok, sorry for the tangent. So here we are, below Rampart, with all the guys and gear back on board that we had left on the river bank. We are screaming past Garnet Isl when low and behold an image grew before us.
    Smack dab in the middle of the north channel was a boat. A NorthRiver no less. A big hummer by the way. And surrounding the boat were a bunch of guys only wet to their ankles. Oops. Bad parking spot. Free. But still bad.
    Off step we go, and start lurking around the edge of the shallow, almost exposed island that they are sitting on. We can't get within 200 yards. He must have been really proud of all the speed that big block was producing.
    Geez oh Pete those guys would still be there if we didn't stop to help.
    The gravel was so hard we could not anchor in. There was little to pull with except a bunch of fuel drums tied together. We finally got logs under it, and were able to make better time across to deep water, but night was coming, and my guys were grumbling something about me having to cook dinner to make up for the missed meal. Yah yah whatever. Just push.
    So I asked the driver. You ever been on the Yukon? Nope. Any good at reading rivers? Don't know. Ever been on a river especially in this boat? Nope. Where did you learn to drive this thing? Summit Lake. Hmm. Any idea what you are going to do if we get you off of this pad? He looks at me plaintively. Go hunting downriver? Big sigh from me. And I say to myself, Lord, do not let me find this guy on another gravel bar, pretty please?
    Slickwilly, I hope your adventures go much more smoothly than his did. Best of luck, and send photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast