Thread: Idea's for the inside?

Default Idea's for the inside?

Trying to figure out what to do with the inside of the cabin. Want something differant then T&G and deffinatly no sheetrock, whats your idea's?

Question Particle/Waffer Board?

I dont know what look your going for, but I have seen where folks have used particle/waffer board before, stained and sealed it, and it actually looks pretty dang neat! I think they used the t/grooved so all the edges matched up nicely. I had a buddy run that around the bottom of his shop also(stained/sealed), so he could wash vehicles in there in the winter and not damage his sheet rock, then he finished the upper walls with sheet rock. Also turned out neat! I have always favored t/groove myself, whether run verticle, or with an angled design on the inner roof/walls, but if it wasnt an option for me, I would say that I wouldn't hesitate to use the t/groove particle/waffer board method after seeing other folks results . Another favorite of mine is the half log siding. I have it throughout the inside of my house, and alot of folks comment on the accent/appeal it adds. Hope this sparks an idea! Good luck, and dont forget to post some pic's!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Could try, if you have the time, hand splitting boards with a froe from logs, just plane the edges that touch when installed so they fit tightly if needed. Would look good along with the logs...they're irregular, generally a bit tapered, and a bit rough on the surface compared to sawn boards...it is labor intensive splitting them all though.

Default second cuts

[COLOR="Green"]You should be able to pick up some seconds cut slabs from local mills and use them as paneling. Thats what I am planning for my shed. I'll hang them vertically then lap with a space between them then lap with a narrow piecce. It should look pretty rustic...

reuben/COLOR]

I went with half log from the floor to the bottom of the windows and then went with angled T&G the rest of the way up. The bottom of my windows was about 42 inches above the floor and the T&G wood used was lighter for a contrast. I also used painted osb for a celing and striped it with the same wood I used for the T&G but in 2 inch strips.

Default Beadboard

Might not be far enough away from a T&G look but we hung beadboard panels. 4'x8' at Lowes for about $18-20 a sheet. We put a tung oil finish on it but you could easily paint it too. If you are interested you can swing by for a look sometime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood (cedar) shingles make an interesting wall surface. The problem is that they get to looking dusty and kind of seem to stay that way as they are rough cut.

i used a black vapor barrier[seems to help blend the gaps] and put up rough cut 1x12 pine that i knocked down with a belt sander so it was somewhat smooth to the touch. i nailed it with hand drive square headed nails to give it a old rustic look.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    Might not be far enough away from a T&G look but we hung beadboard panels. 4'x8' at Lowes for about $18-20 a sheet. We put a tung oil finish on it but you could easily paint it too. If you are interested you can swing by for a look sometime.
    I seen it and it does look good, just wonder how it would look with a larger intirier? I might use that on the ceiling and do some thing differant with the walls. Just not sure yet.......

Great idea's guys, keep em coming!