Thread: 300 WSM bullets and loads??

Default 300 WSM bullets and loads??

I know there are a few of you guys using the 300 WSM for general alaskan hunting and was wondering what has been working. I was thinking maybe something like a 165-8 TSX, or the old standby 180 accubond/partition. I have plenty of magazine room so I could probably even use the 200gr accubond/partitions. Some other bullets I have looked at are the Swift afram and Scirrocco and the GS custom 150-160gr HV.

I just got my 300 WSM model 70 back from the smith, had it blueprinted and a wild dog stock inleted and bedded. I mounted a 3-9x40 leupold VxII in talley lightweight ring/bases. Its a little heavier than I had planned, weights just over 8lbs all up with the 7 rounds in the buttstock, but balances very nicely.

I have a couple hundred 180gr accubonds/partitions seconds and some 168gr Btips that I can load in it. I want a good general purpose big game load for deer - moose. I was thinking the 180 or 200gr accubond or partition would be the bullet of choicee. I have some ramshot hunter and big game, H414, and a few other powders and am open to any others out there.

Any loads or info you can recomend would be great.
    Thanks

Nice looking rifle,

My M70 300 wsm shoots 69 grn of RL-19 with a 180 Hornady Interbond pretty well seated at 2.885" oal. If my barrel is been cleaned it doean't shoot that well but after it's fouled with 2-4 shots it shoots under a moa.
    I tried a friends load of 68 grn of RL-19 with the 168 tsx and it shoots really well also.
    The only accubond I tried to date was the 200 grn and it shot around a moa and I never made any adjustments to see if I could make it shoot any better. (I was more interested in the velocity of the load) Some day I will try the 180's.
    Best thing I can say is find a combo that your gun likes, they all seem to have different tastes. RL-19 seems to work well for allot of people.

MD

69.0 grains of RL-19 is what I use with my wife's Kimber Montana and 165 grain TSX's. I had her set up for 165's and 200's to cover everything in Alaska (she took a brown bear with the 200's last fall), but I think I'm going to drop down to the 150 or even 130 for light skinned game. The one thing I've noticed about the TSX's is that they like to be driven fast in order to ensure reliable expansion.

Took it out to the range to shoot it today..... shoots much better. I had some federal classic 180s and Fed premium 180 TSX loads and a couple 165gr Fed fusions. The Classic 180s didn't do that great 1.5" groups at 100 yards, the 165gr fusions shot pretty well 3/4-1" 3 shot group. The federal premium 180 TSX load shot pretty darn good. These were shooting in the 1.5-2" range before I had the action and bolt trued up. Judging from this 5 shot group it will do under moa, hopefully some good handloads will do even better.