Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us Alaskans getting taken on shipping again

Default Us Alaskans getting taken on shipping again

J&G has a sale on old Swede Mauser slings for a buck a-piece if you order enough of them.

So....

I placed an order for 20 slings from J&G yesterday.
    So it was only 19.95 for the order.

BUT, they e-mailed me today and said that it was going to cost me $49 to have them mailed or $42 for UPS 3 day air.

I told them to forget it.
    I mail and ship things from here all the time that are much more fragile than old slings and it should not cost anywhere near that amount.
    I sent an old double barrel shotgun across the country for $40. The slings probably all fit in a $9 priority flat rate box anyway.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I feel your pain. I found a vendor that had name brand duty boots on sale for cheap. Shipping was by UPS only and was going to cost $50. No way does it cost that much to ship a pair of boots. I cancelled my order.

There's no reason USPS can't be used.

I've decided that vendors who advertise cheap prices gouge you on shipping to recover their costs.
    Now what ?

Default Let them know

Sometimes if you talk to them on the phone you can work things out. If not let them know why you are going somewhere else.

Or you can just have the items shipped to a relative or friend in the lower 48 and then have them flat rate it up to you in Alaska
    Tennessee

Yep.

I ordered a side mirror for my pickup.

I got a phone message to tell me the order was canceled.

I called to find out why.

They said they do not ship out of the United States!

I tried to calmly ask if, "Alaska is one of the United States?"

The fellow I was speaking with had a very bad accent and I really had to struggle to understand him. He said, "You hold minute please, I ask."

When he came back on the phone he said said, "Yes, we do not ship to Hawaii."

I have been putting up with this crap for 34 years!
    The latest scam is they will ship to Alaska but they want 45 dollars to ship a 6-dollar item.

The best answer I have found, for buying guns, at least, is to call the seller and offer them 50 dollars to mail the rifle to me (my FFL).
    They usually refuse and tell me they only use UPS, or whatever, and it will be $90.
    I explain that I am in no hurry and if they will mail my gun the next time they go to the post office they can keep the difference between the 50 bucks I'm offering and the actual costs, which is usually around 30 dollars.

It works more times than not.

the problem is that big companies have UPS pick up the stuff at thier place of business, and they one bill for the all items shipped that week or month.

Dealing with the USPS is a PIA, comparitively. Did you ever wait in line to mail something?

So, usually due to the low volume of stuff going to AK, the company takes the hit not to fool with us. The smaller companies will work with you a bit.

I don't think it is a big conspiracy, just a cost of living in Alaska or (Hawaii, Guam. PR etc).

I ordered some parts for my car (British MG) from the website of a well known parts supplier, and the only shipping option it would give was UPS air. I placed the order anyway (to keep a phone order taker from getting the part numbers wrong), and then called their customer service to change the shipping method to priority mail. They were more than happy to ship it through the mail ($20), and then they still charged me the UPS rate ($50) and pocketed the difference.

I refuse to order from Cabela's, they rape us on shipping.

You live in AK? Ok...Add another $6.00 on top of regular shipping costs.
    I order items from MidwayUSA for fraction of the cost anyways.

Everyone is nickel and diming us. I saw a pizzahut commercial on tv the other day for a pizza. The pizza ran $9.99. Then I drove by a pizzahut and say on their sign $14.99 because we are in AK.

Just one of many.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default The USPS is not that bad a way to ship!

If you check with the USPS you will find that they offer free pickup at the customer's address - just like UPS - for priority mail items. As a small seller in TX some years ago I had to go the UPS and stand in line there to shipo items that the USPS would pick up at my house.

The USPS also has provisions for computer printing of the mailing addresses etc. For good or bad they have heavily courted the EBay sellers; if you buy something through EBay from a small to medium volume seller it will probably come USPS.

And UPS doesn't even come close to the flat rate box for bullets etc. I estimate I have shipped over a ton of lead to AK for aound $200 or so in the last several years.

I suspect UPS has set up discounts or other deals to strongly discourage the use of the USPS by large volume shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    the problem is that big companies have UPS pick up the stuff at thier place of business, and they one bill for the all items shipped that week or month.

Dealing with the USPS is a PIA, comparitively. Did you ever wait in line to mail something?

So, usually due to the low volume of stuff going to AK, the company takes the hit not to fool with us. The smaller companies will work with you a bit.

I don't think it is a big conspiracy, just a cost of living in Alaska or (Hawaii, Guam. PR etc).

If the cost of shipping is bothering you guys so much, why don't you save your PFD and use it to pay for shipping when you buy from the lower 48, then it will be like getting free shipping!!

why don't you save your PFD and use it to pay for shipping when you buy from the lower 48
    Because we buy $3.50 p/gal home heating fuel and $5 per gallon av-gas with it...If you are here in a port town. Double that in the sticks.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

tvfinak is right:

As a rule I won't order from anyone that won't ship US Mail. UPS, and Fed Ex. charge more, and it isn't worth it to me.

And my Permanent Fund won't be going to rip off artists, if I can help it?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

even in the lower 48 the postal rates are outragous from Cabelas. Ordered a fly rod kit and shipping is now based on cost of order .. a $100.00 fly rod kit was one price the $200.00 one I ordered was twice as much for postage . Any more companies are getting rich off of over chargeing for postage no matter were you live but will admit you in Alaska are really getting taken which is wrong.
    just my 2 cents
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I feel your pain. I found a vendor that had name brand duty boots on sale for cheap. Shipping was by UPS only and was going to cost $50. No way does it cost that much to ship a pair of boots. I cancelled my order.

There's no reason USPS can't be used.

I've decided that vendors who advertise cheap prices gouge you on shipping to recover their costs.
    I use USPS for most of my rigs, accept the pack type which go into an oversized box.
    I have yet to ship anything to AK., I can't imagine it be that much more.
    In the lower 48, I just go with a flat rate on the holsters of 10 bucks on the synthetics, and 15 on the leather. This covers Insurance and DC, plus the box cost which I don't figure into my build cost. And when somebody calls for a quote on a build, I give shipped price. I don't like surprizes, and I don't expect customer would like it either.
    But I agree, some are charging S/H charges to increase profit margin.
    To me it seems like a bad practice. If you get the sale, it certainly don't help repeat business.
    I got into the holster business by accident. What started out as a build for myself, has replaced my day job. With the information tool we have at hand, I can't see gouging on shipping, or putting out a poor quality product for that matter. To me, it makes no sense, and gains absolutely nothing!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    I refuse to order from Cabela's, they rape us on shipping.
    You live in AK? Ok...Add another $6.00 on top of regular shipping costs.
    I order items from MidwayUSA for fraction of the cost anyways.

Just one of many.
    This is inaccurate. Cabelas does not charge an additional $6 for Alaska orders. There standard shipping charge is the same for all 50 states. The $6 addional comes into play for Alaska only if you want the items shipped Guaranteed Express.

I agree if you order something very lightweight Cabelas shipping can be high. But trying ordering 50 pounds of bullets and only being charged there basic charge. It all works out.
    But I refuse to do business with Midway because they will not ship bullets as cheap as Cabelas nor will they cater to my desires to ship me heavy items in a Flat Rate box to save me money.
    Most of my reloading components come from Graf's because they will stuff a flat rate box full for me and only charge a couple of bucks above the flat rate fee for there trouble.

We live in the greatest state in the country. Get a PFD every year, do not pay any state income tax, and most of us do not pay any sales tax. On top of that most of us do not have to ever buy meat or fish.
    Just cowboy up and pay a few pennies more now and then and enjoy what we have
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    This is inaccurate. Cabelas does not charge an additional $6 for Alaska orders. There standard shipping charge is the same for all 50 states. The $6 addional comes into play for Alaska only if you want the items shipped Guaranteed Express.

I agree if you order something very lightweight Cabelas shipping can be high. But trying ordering 50 pounds of bullets and only being charged there basic charge. It all works out.
    But I refuse to do business with Midway because they will not ship bullets as cheap as Cabelas nor will they cater to my desires to ship me heavy items in a Flat Rate box to save me money.
    Most of my reloading components come from Graf's because they will stuff a flat rate box full for me and only charge a couple of bucks above the flat rate fee for there trouble.

We live in the greatest state in the country. Get a PFD every year, do not pay any state income tax, and most of us do not pay any sales tax. On top of that most of us do not have to ever buy meat or fish.
    Just cowboy up and pay a few pennies more now and then and enjoy what we have
    Snowwolfe:
    The fact that,
    "We live in the greatest state in the country. Get a PFD every year, do not pay any state income tax,"

etc. etc. is not a reason to pay exorbitant shipping costs.

And, from what you say, you would agree with that, so why do you want us to "pony up"?

I'm not gonna "Pony Up". Not me, no, no.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Then what other choices do you have Smitty? You either pay the shipping charges or buy it locally. I would rather buy locally myself but sometimes we cant find what we need and thats when online shopping has its benefits.
    For me, I quit sweating the smaller details in life that I can not change.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe:
    I’m not trying to rattle your cage. I’m just lettin off steam.

Our “choices” are to order from sources that offer more reasonable shipping charges.

Usually, the USPS is cheaper.

I ordered something the other day, and the quoted shipping was so reasonable that I naturally thought it would be via the USPS, however, I returned home one day and found it on my doorstep. It came by Fed Ex whilst we were off galivantin. So, you see, shipping doesn't have to be exorbitant.

Let me give you another example. I live in the Wasilla area. I ordered a computer part some time ago. I unwisely agreed to have it shipped Fed Ex. I was in Anchorage one day when I received a call on my cell phone. The lady on the other end, had my part and said she wanted "an alternate address", because she couldn't deliver past Spenard Builders Supply, up here in Wasilla.

I had paid for Fed Ex shipping to my door, but the company really sent it to an Airline Freight office in Anchorage, and they had someone that delivered to Wasilla, but not to where I lived.

I went over and picked it up myself, since I was in the beeg town anyway, and when I did, I asked this lady what she meant by an "alternative address", and why did she need it. I finally managed to get it out of her. She wanted to send it to me in the US mail from Anchorage. I expressed my dissatisfaction to her, that I had paid for Fed Ex shipping, but didn’t, and would not have, gotten it, but she was just an employee. I questioned her, I did not blame her.

Exorbitant shipping costs isn't really something that can't be "changed" for us personally, anyway. Not every place we order from, is that way, and if they are, we can order from somewhere else, or as you've pointed out, sometimes buy locally. Like most people I do both, but I’m often irritated when someone wants to rip me off, or, to use your words, “pony up”, and pay more than seems fair, and reasonable to me. I'm the customer.

I’m not gonna “Pony Up”. Boy, am I stubborn.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I agree shipping is getting a bit high, and the cabelas rates have gone up in the last year, but here is another way to look at it...

I used to live in Owatonna and could go to Cabela's and buy right out of the store with no shipping, but with 6.5% sales tax. So I was gonna do that on my last trip to MN and just bring the stuff back with me. But then I did the math...

It was CHEAPER to buy $350 worth of gear and have it shipped for $13.50 (approx. amount from 1.5 yrs ago) than it was to buy in the store with 6.5% tax. Plus, I didn't have to hassle bringing it on the plane. Now I think shipping has gone up to $18-$20 or so for $250+ orders, but it is still cheaper than the sales tax on large orders.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    ....You live in AK? Ok...Add another $6.00 on top of regular shipping costs.....
    I pay more than $6 for two gallons of gas, which in my Subaru, gets me just past Portage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast