Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Determining boat value???

  1. #1
    Member akjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    788

    Default Determining boat value???

    When purchasing a used boat. How do I determine its value before getting a survey. Like on a Wooldrige, which NADA calls a custom build and can not give a value. Surveys run $150 - $400, (or $15 per foot) and require getting the current owner to either take the boat down to an appraiser, or have an appraiser come to his home. My worry is making an offer that is too high, or paying for an appraisal and the boat not being worth as much as asking price. I am looking for round about numbers not exact values. I have called dealers and manufactures with little luck. I am sure this question has come up before. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    408

    Default time

    Lots and lots of shopping... Not just looking at craigslist or ADN either... You've gotta do the leg work or pay someone else who has the knowledge...

    I shopped for over a year and during 4-6 months, looked at a dozen boats, searched the internet, took friends who know boats better than I and utimately paid for two surveys.

    The first survey cost me $200 and likely saved me $20,000 worth of headaches.

    The second survey confirmed what I already knew and sealed the deal.

    Silver Streak boats south of West Marine does surveys..

    good luck

  3. #3
    Member fishin 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I did the same as I did for buying a house. I made an offer contingent on the survey value. If it came in at a higher value then my offer stood, if it came in lower I reserved the right to stop the deal. The survey came in $7500.00 higher than my offer .
    Marita in Anchorage does surveys.

  4. #4
    Member akjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    788

    Default Surveys

    Thanks for your inputs. Tons of shopping. Will probably end up paying for some surveys and see where we are from there. Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Member akjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    788

    Default Sources?

    Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    Lots and lots of shopping... Not just looking at craigslist or ADN either... You've gotta do the leg work or pay someone else who has the knowledge...

    I shopped for over a year and during 4-6 months, looked at a dozen boats, searched the internet, took friends who know boats better than I and utimately paid for two surveys.

    The first survey cost me $200 and likely saved me $20,000 worth of headaches.

    The second survey confirmed what I already knew and sealed the deal.

    Silver Streak boats south of West Marine does surveys..

    good luck
    winmag,
    Where did you look for boats? What sources did you use?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    408

    Default any place you can

    craigslist, credit union web sites, adn, big boys toys, boat shows, this forum, homer harbor, Seward harbor, whittier harbor, all sorts of boat forums, every dealer in town and hours and hours of driving around looking at every boat I could find. No I did'nt burn gas out looking for boats... I happen to be out and would make a point to stop on boats I saw... Don't just drive by, get out contact the owner and ask to walk through (kick the tire kind of deal)...

    Talk to the salesmen ask them to sell you a boat.. just don't tell them you're not really buying until the end... Get an idea of what you want and then shop for it.

    Figure out your wants/desires and balance them between needs and finances...

    This forum is a great place to learn.





    Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    winmag,
    Where did you look for boats? What sources did you use?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    When purchasing a used boat. How do I determine its value before getting a survey. Like on a Wooldrige, which NADA calls a custom build and can not give a value. Surveys run $150 - $400, (or $15 per foot) and require getting the current owner to either take the boat down to an appraiser, or have an appraiser come to his home. My worry is making an offer that is too high, or paying for an appraisal and the boat not being worth as much as asking price. I am looking for round about numbers not exact values. I have called dealers and manufactures with little luck. I am sure this question has come up before. Thanks for your help.
    AKJeff PM'd you

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    273

    Default If its a normal boat

    you can get a good idea by shopping around and asking questions. If it's like my RIB, all bets are off in the US because no one knows what they are worth. People said 15K was too much when I was looking at mine, but it turns out that when new they are about 100K, and I see them listed in the UK periodically for 15-20K without engines. I know this doesn't help much, I just felt like talking about my boat for some reason.
    Chris Stout

    By the way, in the rafting forum I am planning a trip on the kenai so people can can look at different types of inflatable boats if anyone is interested, there should be plenty of open spots.

    Chris Stout

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •