Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Vetoes TMA sheep hunt!

Default President Vetoes TMA sheep hunt!

President Vetoes my TMA sheep hunt!!

This is going to be short story that I need to write about!! Cause that is all that I can do anyway!
    Imagine my surprise when the winter draw results came out last January. January 28th to be exact. You have won DS102, that’s the message I saw when I clicked on my name!! Holy cow a Dall Sheep tag in one of the most coveted areas in the great state of Alaska, and my first time putting in for it. I know some may say that is not fair or whatnot but I played the game and won the tag.
    January 29th came and I was posting messages and buying books and looking at packing lists of hunters who already know what they are doing. Since then I have read 4 books on sheep hunting, talked to many, many people with ideas and information that only can come from experience. Bought and studied several videos on how to hunt and how to field judge the Dall Sheep. I mean hey since I have the opportunity, why note try to find the biggest sheep I can. I now own a .300 WSM. Good gun I heard. Although I am an avid traditional bowhunter I listened to many folks and followed their wisdom. This is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME HUNT increase your odds of killing a sheep and use a rifle. Although the kill is not what the hunt is all about to me I did decide to use a rifle. I was going to take my bow into the mountains for a couple 4 day trips in August and if that didn’t pan out, the 1st of September would find me going in for 10 days with the rifle.
    I can say that I now have a ton of gear that I did not have at this time last year. Double gear actually, because we had to outfit my hunting partner, My Wife Heather, as well. She has been so great in helping with research and the purchase of gear and calling people and buying maps and just listening to me rant and rave about this piece of info or that valley or how good a certain ridgeline looks.
    We went from planning a walk in off the highway, to a fly in, to a ATV ride up the Tok River Drainage and then a walk in. Have 3 areas picked out for base camps and then was going to hike in and hunt with a light packs!! Many, Many people have been such help with planning this hunt. Thanks to all of you..
    As some of you know my unit and are a currently sitting in Iraq. Two days ago we were counting the six days left until we were headed home, Alaska bound at last….. And then came the call..
    Went something kinda like this:

Hey Smoke, this is the President. Would like to invite you to stay a little longer in the desert. You see we have a desperate situation in Baghdad and really need more Soldiers to head that way. I know that your Soldiers have had a long year and you are hot, tired and ready to come back to the land of English speaking people but I need your help! This Nation needs your help so I am asking you and your men to stay a little longer.
    Well Mister President, I respond. Sounds like you do need our help, I am wondering if you could just hold out a couple months though. You see I have this TMA sheep tag that I drew and the wife and I would really like to make it to those mountains and carry out all the preparation that we have put in. See the fruits of our labors. This is a hard to come by tag and we would like to make the best of it!!
    Well Soldier, he says. I hear you and am truly sorry for your predicament, however, the enemy always has a vote too. And right now his vote is strong and load. You are going to have to miss that hunt! But you are young and will have many years to enjoy the great outdoors!
    OK sir, I’ve been doing this job for a few years now and understand the way it works. My Soldiers and I will use this night to be pissed off. We will go get some near beer from the chow hall and talk about all the issues and have a cold one. Tomorrow we will come in with our heads high and a warriors grin. Ready to go visit the capital of Iraq and put the enemy where they belong. Thank you for your time……
    And thank you he says…

Well maybe not quite like that but you get the jist of it. There is one very lucky 40” up there in the mountains this season!!!
    Enough of the drama, just felt the urge to write a few things down. Maybe I can convince ADFG to hold a tag for me next year!!!

Plentycoupe

I heard about that this morning, I can only imagine how you and your boys are feeling right now. What a bummer is all I can say. Keep your head down and watch each others backsides and get home safe. If you guys need some video's or magazines just let us know and we'll try and get some off to you all! Godspeed!

Sorry to hear about the extended stay. I hope that sheep tag finds you again. Just wanted to thank you and all your boys for keeping America safe. I think of you guys daily and how lucky we are to have dedicated men and women protecting our freedoms. Thank your wife for keeping the outdoor spirit up while your away and come home safe.

Default Ditto what AK45 said

Plentycoupe,

I'll echo AK45's thoughts. Been reading about the 172nd having their tour extended. It's making all the papers, not just up here. I loved your message title...was thinking, "What? The president vetoed his hunt? Huh?" <grin>

Sure was sorry to hear the Arctic Wolves weren't coming home on schedule. You guys keep your spirits up.

Mark

Default bummer.

I heard about this and posted on this news yesterday, PC. What a let down.

Its probably no consolation, but you guys are the best.

None of us are "hunting" if we have to be kneeling to Allah three times a day in the marketplace...Thank God for resolve and our warriors.

Default Thank you for your service!

I firmly believe that you should get to keep this tag and be able to hunt next TMA next year, and I am going to write my Senators, contact the Game Board, and do whatever I can to ensure this tag is not removed from you by virtue of your unwaving support to the USA and the IRAQ. Your efforts are to be commended and you should not be unduly punished because of this. You've served your year, and as such i am sure you would not have put in for this permit if you knew you were going to be exteneded.

Im not talking about giving out tags to anyone in the military serving over seas, I'm talking about people that have been extended on thier tours of duty that would normally have been back from service etc.

I doubt it will go anywhere, but - I think if anyone deserves a "tag extention" you do

Cutter

Default Great Idea Cutter !!!!!!!

I'd be more than happy to contact Rep. Peggy Wilson and Sen. Bert Stedman on plentycoupe's behalf. And I think if the pols hear from enough of us they'd make it happen. Just need to know some specifics -- like real names, etc.

Forum Moderator: Any way we can do an online petition?

Default proposal

It probably won't help you this year plentycoupe, but someone should put in a proposal that any soldier who gets drawn in a war situation and gets an extention of duty will recieve a tag for the next season after his tour is over. His tag for this year can go back in the draw for a list of back-up hunters. It's the least the state can do to show how much your sevice means to the state and country.

I'm guessing this means no deer hunting too. Any leave time in the next 5 months?

Default Message to Congresspersons

Although I do not live in Alaska, I'm hunting there this September. If plentycoupe would pm his name, town, unit # I would gladly send a letter to my congresspersons in his support.

Default Fwiw

I dont think the name is needed per se, just that as twodux states, anyone in the military, that has drawn a tag and is in wartime duty, and has been extended, should get his/her tag re-issued for the next year. It all starts with Action, and youf local F/G Advisory Committee and Game Board NEEDS to hear from you. Copy your legislators!

Any of you Non Res out there are more than welcome to send letters to our Game Board in support of this. You are as much a part of this state as we are when it comes to items like this. The people with the power to make this happen will do it if enough people show support, and even if not, then know that you tried, nothing ever happens on it own. Sometimes it takes a nudge, and sometimes it takes a hammer.

My wife will attest to this first hand!

Cutter

Default F&G rule change petitions

If you go down to your local F&G office you can access a form to request a change in fish and game rules and regualtions. You then fill out your form with what changes you want and your reasoning and tey will submit the request to the board. The board will set up a hearing to consider requested changes and have a period of public comment on the requested change.

If we want the power of this forum to be felt then all of us who are physically able should submit a request:

that all active duty miltary personel who draw a permit shall be awarded a replacement permit for the following year if said personal is either unexpectedly deployed to a combat zone or said personel's tour of duty is extended beyond their original return date. Said extension shall be awarded to all Alaskan residents serving in the armed forces regardless to where that person may be stationed.

Just a thought that some of our sons and daughters returning on leave should be given the same considerations.

What do you say? let your actions be your answer

Hua!!!!

Default Forum take charge!

Perhaps this Forums' Mods could design a petition that we could sign on to.
    That petition requesting tag extensions should become automatic for those helping to preserve our freedoms. For without them, there may be no hunting.
    So, how about it Moderators, lets see if we can get something organized to help those in the military on extended service time or any other missions that would prevent them from hunting.

Default Form

Here is the link to the BOG proposal form. I am an advisory member in Valdez and will do what I can to support a change for our troops. I have corresponded with Plentycoupe before and know of his problem. Lets see what we can do guys to help out our troops.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b...s/propform.pdf

Plentycoupe, along the lines of cutters idea, write a letter to your state rep and senator and ask them to speak to F&G on your behalf to see if you can be reserved a permit for next year. I can't imagine anyone objecting.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default God Speed

God speed Plentycoupe, keep your head down. Alaska is proud of you, your job ensures our way of life, hunting included

firemanrikker

Thumbs up Hang in there!

PC,

As I started to read your post, I was thinking, oh, no- here we go. Another guy complaining about being asked to do what he signed up for! Then I continued reading and ended up really impressed with your attitude. I know how hard it is to draw TMA, and all the preliminary work you must have put in for this hunt. This has to hurt, and yet you are willing to stick with it with a good attitude. I'm impressed by the quality of the men and women we have over there.

The extension of the Alaska boys is all over the news here, and as much as I hate to say it, this stuff going on with Hezbollah makes it look like the beginning, not the end of conflict. How long can this go on?

You guys watch each others' backs over there, and come back safe. Those rams aren't going anywhere.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default another message

Hey everyone thanks for the support and the kind words.
    I have sent out emails to the people who may help me and think it is great that some of you are willing to do the same.
    Just remember if nothing comes of this; that is just the way it goes. I know what I signed up for and take the hardtimes with a grain of salt. This is usually just my way of venting to fellow Alaskans.
    I also now that I am not the only person this affects and in most people eyes this may be a very small issue. But to us hunters this is what it is all about. The opportunity to do a hunt of this nature does not come around to often

Also I know that some of you may not agree with any extension or reissue of a draw tag. Can't blame a guy for trying though.

Well the season is almost upon you and I wish you all the best of luck. One request I have is that you email me some pictures of the hunts and the successes!!! Thanks

Anyone wanting to trade some moose, caribou or sheep meat, my wife has a freezer full of halibut. That's the only thing she made it out to get but we would love to trade a bit.

plentycoupe
    jason.christianson@us.army.mil

oh and by the way I will be emailing you soon twodux, if we make it back before you are done with the deer for the year I would still love to make one of those trips!! Jason

Default Contact your Representatives

I don't think we want this thread to drift away. Even though I am not from Alaska (Indiana), I have contacted my Senator to try to get some relief for plentycoupe. I call on all of you Alaskans to contact your State Senators, State Representatives, Governor, U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and Cong. Dan Young. This young man should be allowed to use his permit next year. This is the right thing to do. PC is there for us. We need to be here for him.

Default Tag extension

Plentycoup,
    After reading your post I emailed the Governor's office asking him to request that the BOG grant extensions or 2007 tags to guys in your situation. I recieved a reply from the Governor's Deputy Chief of Staff
    Mike Nizich, and apparently the Guv's office is already working on this. Mr Nizich did tell me that the BOG has not approved any such request in the past and that they were working with F&G Commissioner Campbell to see what can be done.

I know this doesn't get it this year but maybe your posting here will help fix this situation for the long haul.

Come home safe

Erik in Ak has it right!!
    I spoke with a Board of Game member tonight about "Plentycoupe's" situation. After some good discussion, he said that the quickest and hopefully the easiest way for us to influence this issue, is to e-mail Governor Murkowski directly. http://www.gov.state.ak.us/govmail.php He has the authority to see that a tag is set aside for Plentycoupe for next year, if need be. The BOG member stated that they have an emergency petition that could be sent to the board, but the outcome may be too late, and it could also open a "pandora's box" if the board sets a precedent with reserving a tag for later use, due to unforeseen circumstances. He said you all would be surprised at all the reasons people have for making exceptions for themselves. Just human nature I suppose. But Plentycoupe's situation is something we all agree on, and we can justify our positon.
    Gov. Murkowski could sure use some positive P.R., and he could use this compassionate act to make some points with the voters. He also was just in Iraq last month with the soldiers of the 172nd , so hopefully this issue will be a no-brainer for him to do. If you care about this issue, please take the time and send a nice message, encouraging Gov. Murkowski to save a tag for Plentycoupe. And whoever knows "Plentycoupe's" real name, please include this in an e-mail, and let the governor's office know that all the subsequent e-mails that they'll be getting, is for this soldier in the 172nd. in Iraq who won the DS102 sheep tag. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast