Thread: Installing a super cub seat in a J3/PA11

Default Installing a super cub seat in a J3/PA11

I am about to start flight training in a J3 that has been converted into a PA-11 the problem is I am 6-2 and it would be much more comfortable in the front seat with a super cub seat (because they are adjustable). Can anyone tell me what is involved in installing a super cub seat in a J3/PA-11?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I sold a Pa-11 converted J-3 last year and looked into installing a PA-18 front seat also. Never did it as couldn't afford the seat! I am not sure how they are installed or what it involves, but I did find that Atlee has an STC for a PA-18 seat installation. You may need it to keep the plane legal. Not sure on that though. A good mechanic should be able to help you out. You could also call Steve at Atlee Dodge and see what he has to say. Another place to look for info is Supercub.org. Much more technically oriented than this forum usually is.

I use a J-3C converted to a PA-11-90 with Atlee Dodge STCs and one of the STCs is the installation of Super Cub seats and baggae. Due to the lack of an adjustable seat at the time, my front seat is the non-adjustable seat from a PA-18-95.
    I am 6'1 and 215 pounds and I have no problem with my front seat as it is. But as you know it seems like every seat and cockpit on a Cub is a little different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That is very interesting... I have to take off both the cushions on the seat and still my knees are right up on the dash. Is it possible that the non-adjustable PA-18 seat is slightly a slightly different set up. Or like you said, every cub is different.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I know some people move the seats back a bit in their J-3s so they can solo from the front. Has this already been done?

That's interesting... I had not heard of that... does anybody know if that on the up and up with the FAA?
    Henry Ford

Some J-3 have not been truely converted to a PA-11, so they still have the leg breaker V bars under the panel. And the seat positions and CG stations are not truely a PA-11.
    On a PA-11 the wind shield is more sloped and the engine is actually at a different angle.
    I have flown a friends J-3C with a 100 horse 0-200 in it, but he still had the nose fuel tank and the original panel with leg breaker bars. That was a very uncomfortable plane to fly from the front seat.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

This one has been converted to a PA-11. But I don't believe the STC was Atlee Dodge. looking at the paperwork it lists two part #'s that were removed, but I don't know what parts they were. In the book it says it was converted in accordance of an SA # not an STC #

Does anyone know if the PA-18-95 seat is a significant improvment? That sounds like a simple bolt on installation.
    Henry Ford