Thread: Goose hunting on the North Slope...

Default Goose hunting on the North Slope...

This is going to be a good spring for me, I'm getting a few new guns. I'm selling a custom 1911 made by legendary gun maker Ted Yost then getting a couple long guns.

One of the guns I'm getting is a 12 gauge for goose hunting. I am looking at the Remington 870, this seems to be a pretty good gun. Any recommendations on exactly what gun to get for geese would sure be appreciated. Ammo suggestions too please.

Honestly anything in a 12guage will work fine. Ive used an 870 with 3" bb,bbb,1,2 shot for years. If you are gonna shoot ducks too i would use 2s. You could buy an expensive waterfowl gun like the beretta extrema (semi-auto) to something cheaper like a mossberg. As long as it shoots at least 3". 3 1/2" is nice for the longer range shots if you are pass shooting them, but if you are using decoys they arent necessary. Oh and use a modified choke or maybe something a little tighter. Hope this helps.

Is the gun going to be used strictly for geese? I'd get a long barrel if thats the case, like 30''. My go to gun is a Stoeger 2000 with 26'' barrel. These guns are hard to be IF you want an autoloader. They can be had for under $400 brand new, come with five chokes and if you clean it up it will never jam. Its a copycat of the Benelli design... as they are both owned by Beretta. If you want foolproof work, get an 870 pump and it'll work for decades.

I would think a dedicated goose gun should have a long barrel and at least be able to shoot 3'' shells if not 3.5'' shells. Keep in mind you'll be shooting steel shot or one of the newer synthetic shots. Steel is slower and can't be shot through real tight choke tubes, I think my Stoeger has to be modified or more open than that. Not sure if the tungsten shot or others can be tightened down more.

Did you have any guns in mind?

it is tough to beat the reliability of the 870-I would consider the model that offers the chambering of not only the 2 3/4" & 3" but 3 1/2" shell as well. Great versatility! The barrel length I have on mine is 30" from Hastings w/vent rib. Now the barrel length controversy goes on but it has been debated that the 24" will provide the same effective killing power with the same velocities as the longer barrels(shrug) but with greater ease of swinging motion-a strong factor in selecting a shotgun.

I will stay with my Browning BPS 10ga w/30"bbl, Beretta AL390 w/30"bbl. and my Rem 870 w/Hastings 30"bbl.--just the way I am

regards,

I have to vote for the 870 super mag. As mentioned above just about fool proof and with ability to shoot any 12 shells 2.75-3.5". Steel and specialty shot in 3.5" with some of the better choke tubes, like patternmaster, really extent practicle hunting range for skybusting reluctant geese. Its just about your best bang for your buck, or in this case duck!

Ok, my wife is in Anchorage today so she's picking up the gun. The gun is a Remington 870 express (3 1/2) with a 26 inch barrel and a laminate stock. The guy said they dot make wood anymore... He didnt have any 28 inch so I went with the 26. Sound alright for goose?

Perfect...and Good Luck!

Default good to go

Sounds like you got the hook up. Cant elaborate enuf on the 870 Super mag (3.5") tho....pretty nice to have it on them heavy birds. You will not be disapointed with the good ole 870, even 20 years down the road. Add a patternmaster and you're in it to win it!!!!

Isnt laminate a wood stock???

Default Goose getters

Hey;
    Look into 10 gauges. Going long or high for Geese, well, that's where it's at.
    Do you want to shoot at them, or eat them...that is the difference.
    Ok, you can catch them on fishhooks too, but if you want to just cut through it and win, get a 10.
    Mark

Default Oops

Sorry Packer;
    You will do fine with that one, really.
    I am from the " If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying " Camp.
    That's a fine rig. I still prefer fishhooks...

Packer, wonderful! Make certain you take something for them "magnum headaches" in your personals. I did the last time I was in town picked up a magnetic Fiber Optic that fits the width of my vent rib- green in color, appears to dandy for the eyes or for mine anyways.

Windy days the 3 1/2" with #1's work rather well or might try BB's-I personally like them 2 sizes for geese. I too have done well shooting 2 3/4" with #1's on Specks-hammers em good! Get a good speck caller and bring em in! When they call high you call low-keep it simple, works every time if they are interested.

have fun.