Thread: 9.3 bullets

Default 9.3 bullets

In all the various discussions of the 9.3 Mauser it seems that most all bullets shoot well if not accurately. Knowing what is involved in harvesting moose or bears there must be an optimum bullet for use in Alaska. A bullet design and weight that is highly reliable.

I was personally lead in my experience to fall to the Swift 250 grn. or the Barnes 250(TSX) as first choice. Both have been accurate and really reliable in my other calibers. Spendy though. Due to the velocities that the 9.3 Mauser falls into one would almost be led to believe that the 270grn. Speer would be an acceptable choice and suspect to hold up and penetrate. No experience there though.

Nosler is famously known and wonder about the 250's - Accubond? Woodleigh offers some good choices too-----there is alot of choices. So again in your personal use what have you found to be a good bullet that offers the 150-200 yd. range with good penetration?

I have a collection of both A-frms and Barnes that are a telltale sign and some inferior bullets prior to my reloading experience that fall short of being "happy". I don't know if Kodiak is available in the caliber either.

I have 100 rnds. of Norma brass and a few thousand Fed.GM primers and a full set of Redding dies and RL-15 for this 9.3......... at long last a 9.3

One bullet.......not to much to ask for I hope.

regards,

"THE" bullet for the 9.3 is the 286gr Nosler Partition. I have found it to be accurate and very effective on game. The 270gr speer is a little soft for large game. I shot a spikefork at about 15 hards in the neck with the 270gr speer, no exit, the bullet completely fragmented. I was loading it at 2550fps with H414 powder. I think it would do well for deer and smaller big game, black bear or hogs. I haven't tried the barnes or swift mainly because I found such a great load with the 286gr Partition. I have had good luck with Re 15, H4350, and Ramshot big game. Big game is the fastest, followed by h4350 and Re15. I got very close to 2500fps with the big game, 2430fps with the H4350, and just under 2400fps with the Re15. I settled on the 4350 becuase it was the most accurate load, shoots regularly under 1" out of my rifle, the other two were between 1.5-2". big game worked better the hotter I loaded it.

The 250gr accubond/swift/barnes might be neat for longer range work but I don't plan on shooting my 9.3 past 300 yards and when sighted 2.5" high at 100, its dead on about 200 and just over 10" low at 300 yards. I shot my last moose with it at 280 yards aimed 2/3s up the side and dropped it right in there, about a 1" exit wound, hit him one more time as he walked away, aimed a little higher and took out the shoulder joint. Hard to beat that performance.

tbear, that is what I have gathered and somehow was expecting some here to say possibly the 250 TSX....can email and get a couple of boxes of 230 gs hv from Bryan Petitt and really go light. Gerard speaks pretty highly of them as a few others too who seemingly hunt over in Africa with excellent results. Kind of rich for my blood but the results speak for themselves. I have a strong suspicion most here do not or have not tried the GS bullet.

Just looking for optimum down range if possible for the 9.3, know it is not a 40 and over bore. I did order 2 boxes from him yesterday for 180grn GS HV's for my .338-06 similar to the .338Sabi that Gerard develop the bullet for.

Oh well onward to spring,

regards and thanks,

The norma Oryx bullets are accurate and affordable and you have a choice of 232 or 286gr

Although I have yet to shoot something with my 9,3x74R double rifle I was informed by many people who have tons of experience with this caliber one of the best bullets to use is the Woodleigh 286 grain soft point.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up

I am relatively new to .366 calibers and more specifically 9.3x62, and I love it. It has proven to be the easiest for me to reload for of the calibers that I shoot.

When I was urged by Corjack to buy a 9.3x62, the first thing he suggested for reloading was to use Varget powder, and it has proven to be very accurate with no preference to charge level. I have loaded up and down, and all "groups" have gone in one hole at 100 yards.

I have tried several bullets and bullet weights, and they have all been very accurate as well. I have shot 232 gr Vulcans, 250 gr TSX's, 250 gr Accubonds, 286 gr TSX's, 285 gr PRVI's, and 270 gr Mt Baldy cast bullets. My favorite "plinking" bullet, that should be very adequate for a hunting bullet too, is the 285 gr PRVI, and the best part about them is that they are not very expensive.

From my limited experience, my "one bullet" is going to be the 285 gr PRVI with 250 gr Accubonds as my second and more expensive choice.

retrieverman, I would "keep" that rifle!

corjack and Murph--2 yeas for the Norma-pretty fine testimonies-cost being of course always the major contributor. The 232's though suggest lower sd's and poor penetration-probably a good downrange flier but..........

It always difficult to look away from a Partition bullet. The larger bore bullets that weigh in heavier would have more "core" forward than the smaller calibers in the Partition design. Hence alot more weight retention for penetration.

thanks for the tips.

well not to beat this thread up and keep it going but....went to

http://www.grafs.com/product/183077

and seen a nice looking bullet. Reminds me of shooting hardcast out of my late .457WWG, I can positively imagine the penetration and knockdown with this bullet. Hard to imagine without a jacketed softpoint that it would work c'mon it has to...giving up some range compared to the Spitzer or PP the suspected range should be I guess an easy 100yds with accuracies?

just another behooving thought.

regards,

Grizz

I have several hundred Nosler Partition seconds I bought a few years ago and have not had a chance to shoot any yet but am sure they will work great as I have not found anything that did not work at least satisfactory in the 9.3

As for the penitration of the 232s I shot a large doe last year at about 55yds through the shoulders 9.3 hole in 9.3 hole out a 3.5 inch whiteoak behind her suffered the same fate 9.3 hole in 9.3 hole out I have switched to vulcans for my deer loads as I would have liked to see a little more expansion on deer size game I do hope the tree survives

It is a very easy round to dink with

Long live the 9.3s!
    Last edited by corjack; 03-02-2008 at 19:34. Reason: added

not giving much thought to the Norma Ornyx but will consider it....soon. Them solids are good for thick skin and well........Moose and Grizz are not. Just a nice looking solid.

thanks once again.

by the way where is Murph's post? uh oh.....

just an update. COAL 3.335" and 59 grn. RL15 avgs. 2415 fps with this 23.5" L-W bbl. Some believe that this bullet can obtain 2500fps in the 9,3x62---would be something for sure but...I won't attempt that velocity range in this VZ24. Web case expansion would be pretty great. Using GM210M's in the Norma brass. With the Lyman 57Target(always did like a peep) and the NECG fiber optic front I am getting a surprising 2 1/2" group ----best I could do with these eyes. That Caldwell Lead Sled helps quite abit-steady.

Bout to order more bullets and found the Ornyx 286grn. at Graf and Sons but how is the shipping cost of Priority Mai?. It being Sunday I won't give them a call till the morrow and find out if they can ship relatively acceptable. Any one here in the State order from them and hows the shipping charges? Push come to shove I will buy more 286 Partitions. I did try the 250TSX but did not like the velocities-2520fps.---figure if they would work they would need to be upped to 2600fps or more, again some info I have received said they can get between 26 and 2700fps-wow!

As they say there is no flies on the 2415fps. and the Nosler 286 grainers. Looking foward to carrying this shortly and digging up that nice chocolate colored bruin-been abit uncooperative in the last couple of yrs for a decent shot.

oh well, this is where I am at.

regards,

I bought the 286 grain Alaskan bullets for the 9.3x62 and it did work for a big moose. Not my doins but it got the job done. That bullet is about like the old original Barnes except it has a tapered jacket of gilding metal (Cu alloy), a little tougher jacket. One bullet exited, a double lung shot and the second lodged up in the neck as a quartering away shot, higher through the cage. He tipped over on his nose.

These bullets were inexpensive compared to partitions, not a better bullet but certainly a good bullet and cheap enough to shoot a lot. The are extremely accurate in my Sako and and at 62 velocity they will not come apart. I have used the 270 speer, also inexpensive but not as strong or heavy as the 286 Alaskan bullet. The Oryx bullets are great also and I bought them at about $25/50 from Graf, the Alaskan bullets (286 gr) were only $20/50. The 322 Vulcan were about $40/100. The 286 Oryx is the best bullet for me in this caliber, they well do it all with the 9.3x62. Graf will ship priority mail, they always do for me.

The Oryx is available in the 232 grain also and it was only $48 per 100 the last I bought. They can be launched much faster and are bonded so they stay together better. Not a bear or moose bullet but it flattens out the old 9.3 and reaches out for caribou pretty good. There are lots of good bullets for the .366 bore. I don't think Kodiak makes one though.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, glad to hear from you. Thanks for the tips. You could perhaps share with me your velocities with the 286 Partitions if you don't mind. I am wise to take most with a grain of salt.

best regards,

Default Lapua Naturalis 230 grain (lead free)

The naturalis 230 grain (I weighted one) bullet driven by 64 grains of RL 15 opens up like a Nolser partition. I fired one at a California blacktail that knocked it over like a metallic silhouette after first traveling through a three-inch oak tree. They are expensive but for hunting they are worth the cost; Graf and Sons carrys Naturalis bullets.

For Alaska I would go with bullet weights 250 grains or higher just in case you encounter a bear or some other large and powerful animal that needs to be taken down.

dogtrainer, welcome! see it is your 1st post-I'm so lucky ha.

I have more 286 Noslers coming in along with a new Hogue synthetic. Thus far I am impressed with my overall perspective of this rifle and caliber! It is so easy in the "real" world to either overlook this caliber or just not hear of it--it needs more popularity.

shot thru a tree to get to target eh? can relate.

regards,