Thread: Rough Seas?

Post Rough Seas?

How rough are the waters around the east side of Kuiu Island and the west side of Kupreanov? Is it unrealistic to navigate a 17' skiff with 50hp motor around the shorelines?

Default Just Talk like a pirate

Ayyy Matey,

Blimey Hearties.....Brethren of the Sumner Straights, don't crack Jennies tea cup before the big hunt and steam on the lee side and you'll be fine..... If the tides rise and yer craft is win'bound, don't hesitate to maroon on the isle til' she blows out. Aarrrrr.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Ayyy Matey,

Blimey Hearties.....Brethren of the Sumner Straights, don't crack Jennies tea cup before the big hunt and steam on the lee side and you'll be fine..... If the tides rise and yer craft is win'bound, don't hesitate to maroon on the isle til' she blows out. Aarrrrr.....
    Uhhhhh,, I'm sure I know less now that I did before reading the post

I spent some time in that area for a couple of years. You would be fine in the eastern side of Kuiu especially in Rocky Pass. Lots of bear. Don't try the western side of the island unless weather is very favorable. Sumner strait can kick up fast, but there are lots of coves, bays and hidey holes to wait out the weather.

I circumnavigated Kuiu in a 16 foot open skiff a few years back, saw lots of bears.

Last two cents: keep enough gear in your boat that if you needed to spend the night away from camp you can.

Did a brown bear hunt on the north side of baranof one spring. We tried making the voyage to Kuiu for black bears for a few days (had quite a bit of time that spring) and got beat to death trying to get there. We were in a 20' skiff if you can still call it a skiff and we didnt make it. The weather didnt hold long enough to cross.

We also tried to make the trip to Sitkoh and didnt make it there either. Thankfully there were bears close by enough to hunt. But would I do it in such a small skiff....not me!

Default Beach Bears

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    I spent some time in that area for a couple of years. You would be fine in the eastern side of Kuiu especially in Rocky Pass. Lots of bear. Don't try the western side of the island unless weather is very favorable. Sumner strait can kick up fast, but there are lots of coves, bays and hidey holes to wait out the weather.

I circumnavigated Kuiu in a 16 foot open skiff a few years back, saw lots of bears.

Last two cents: keep enough gear in your boat that if you needed to spend the night away from camp you can.
    I assume that you saw the bears along the coast. Was that in the spring or fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Border Justice View Post
    I assume that you saw the bears along the coast. Was that in the spring or fall?
    The bears were all on the beach usually right before dusk, but a few decent ones out in the morning. Spring bear hunt.

Default Ayyy Matey

No more pirate talk. I once worked at the KPC logging camp at Rowan Bay back in my timber tramp days. Sealaska and Kake Tribal Corp. both have land on Kuiu. You can drive all the way from Rowan to Sag Bay. A small landing craft and a couple ATV's is a great way to hunt it. I've also steamed around it a few times. It can be flat as glass. Rocky pass has some very shallow spots, lots of rocks and the kelp is very thick.

It's always been my luck to get where I need to go in the skiff, but then can't get back. Always be prepared to camp for as long as it takes to blow over and don't take chances even if you have a schedule to keep.

Default ATVs

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    No more pirate talk. I once worked at the KPC logging camp at Rowan Bay back in my timber tramp days. Sealaska and Kake Tribal Corp. both have land on Kuiu. You can drive all the way from Rowan to Sag Bay. A small landing craft and a couple ATV's is a great way to hunt it. I've also steamed around it a few times. It can be flat as glass. Rocky pass has some very shallow spots, lots of rocks and the kelp is very thick.

It's always been my luck to get where I need to go in the skiff, but then can't get back. Always be prepared to camp for as long as it takes to blow over and don't take chances even if you have a schedule to keep.
    Everyone talks about ATV's and transportation on Kuiu. But where are they getting them? I'd rent them if I could figure out where!

Default Transportation

Hey Border J.,

Sorry about the confusion.

"Everyone talks about ATV's and transportation on Kuiu. But where are they getting them? I'd rent them if I could figure out where!"

Through the years, The North end of Kuiu has been a busy place with road construction and forest management, regular daily scheduled flight service and barge service. Rowan Bay and Saginaw both had good sized camps. S.E is a place where everybody knows everbody and it's a close community. So, it was easy to take a scheduled flight to Rowan, borrow a pickup from a buddy and hunt the road system. I'll admit, it must be difficult to plan a trip like this when you are unfamiliar with the place and people. It's often inconvenient to get around S.E under the best conditions. There really isn't any transportation unless you buy or bring your own or make some new friends in S.E that will loan you their wheels.

That is why Alaska is such a great place to live, especially S.E. It's easy to make friends and you are guaranteed to have a place to stay, a skiff to use and a rig to drive almost any town village or camp you visit. Even if you don't know anybody, you will certainly know someone in common.

How rough are the waters around the east side of Kuiu Island and the west side of Kupreanov?